A couple of cool 1/72 missiles

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

A couple of cool 1/72 missiles

Post by aferguson » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:40 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KIT-green-S-300 ... Sw7FRWVwYm

The sa-10 is considered to be one of the deadliest sam systems in the world. It also looks pretty cool too. I bought this not expecting much but was delighted to find a very decent model. Has a nice diecast-ish heft to it which really surprised me because I thought it was all plastic.....I still think it is. The mechanism that raises the missile tubes is very stiff and works well. Each tube has a removable top and a missile inside. I bought a built up one for $13 but the vendor only seems to have the kits now but I recommend it if you're interested. I bought it because I like surface to air missile systems but i'd like it just as much if I collected 1/72 armor (which I may start doing).

For the same price, you can also buy the big radar truck that goes with the sa-10 missile system. Pretty cool.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KDW-JSJ-DONGFEN ... 1978674364?

I bought this along with my sa-10. With ballistic missile tels rare to find in 1/72 and given it was of chinese subject matter, I had to go for it. Again I bought it because i'm interested in missiles to go with my 1/72 aircraft but it's great for armour collectors too.

This one is a fair bit more toyish. The missile is too short because it spring launches from the tube (pretty powerful spring). The portion of the missile that is there is accurate for a df-31 but about 3 1/2 inches too short. Would not be hard to make the rest of the missile if desired as it's a very simple shape. As for the TEL, it's pretty cool....it's actually a bit over 1/72. It's listed as 1/64 by the manufacturer but it's smaller than that. I place it at around 1/69, but accurate info on the size of the real thing is a bit hard to come by. Anyway, it looks fine with my 1/72 stuff. The paint scheme is ok...i'll probably improve on it. It sits too high on its trailer, when in the down position and won't go fully vertical in the launch position. So you'll have to do some work to get it to look right one way or the other and probably have to leave it that way, as I don't see how you could fix it and still have it movable.

In spite of all the things wrong with it it's still a neat little model and the subject matter more than justifies putting up with the problems, in my view. How many chinese icbm's are you going to find in 1/72?
i never met an airplane i didn't like...