New to this... have some questions

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
harrigan
Private First Class
Private First Class

New to this... have some questions

Post by harrigan » Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:23 pm

Hi folks,

Just re-discovering the wide world of die-cast metal military vehicles. As a boy, I had tons of die-cast tanks, ships, planes, cars and trucks made by Dinky Toys, Corgi, Matchbox and Solido. These were by far my favorite toys.

Most of what I see out there now (Corgi, Dragon, Franklin Mint, Minichamps, etc.) is more geared for collecting and display than actual play -- based on price, non-working treads, super-fine but delicate detailing, etc.

I have a young son who really digs trains, trucks, tanks and planes, and he's getting to the age where I remember this stuff really being cool. My question is this: is there anything on the market that fits the bill of being reasonably affordable and reasonably tough / meant for play? Scale doesn't matter too much -- anything from 1:72 to 1:32 would be fine, with 1:48 or 1:50 probably being best. What's important is for the treads to move, turrets to turn, landing gear to fold, etc. Detailing doesn't need to be spectacular.

Any ideas?

Also, where do you folks find stuff? I've scoured the area where I live (Denver, Colorado), and either the area stinks for stores that carry die-cast, or I just don't know where to look.

Tips in this area would be appreciated as well. I've found Corgi at Kaybee and Dragon at one hobby ship, but that's about all.

Thanks in advance.

-Harrigan

Mr. Football
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Mr. Football » Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:37 pm

A very good question (Good collectibles for kids):

I would highly recommend the Matchbox Collectibles line of Tanks and Warplanes. They retail for about $11.99 and can be found at Target. They are a superb value, with superb detail comparable to Corgi Aviation Archive and Armour CDC's line of Diecast tanks (in fact, they ARE the Armour CDC molds).

Next, you may check into the 21st Century Toys (Motorworks) line of Cold Steel tanks. They are built relatively tough and are a pretty good value at less than $15/each (Wal-Mart). If you want to get something a bit nicer, you can find the Forces of Valor (Action Grade) diecast line at Target now. They are neat toys, with a lot of detail for $25 or less.

Another terrific line of durable real diecast military toys is Corgi's Tactical Strike collection of 1/67 scale modern tanks, choppers, hummers, and jets. This is a terrific value, it comes with a detailed pullout from Osprey Publications that has diagrams, history and other interesting info about the vehicles. ($12 or less). They can be found at Target, some Toys R Us, and hobby shops/online retailers).

Now, for the grown-up collector:

Minichamps is true diecast, with working suspensions and real metal tracks. Designed by German Diecast Maker 'Paul's Model Art' and made in China, these are top-notch.

The Dragon Armor line is terrific for 1/72. Detail is unparalled at this scale. Needs more metal content IMO.

Corgi 1/50 Armor line. Neat line, pricy for what you get, unless you get the History Channel Collection, which is value priced.
"I like a man who grins when he fights" - Winston Churchill

harrigan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by harrigan » Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:37 pm

Thanks for the reply, Mr. Football.

Couple of additional questions -- what scale are the Matchbox Collectables tanks and planes? I'm not seeing much info on them on the Matchbox or Target sites. Does the landing gear fold on the planes? Also, is that line US vehicles only?

I actually didn't know places like Wal-Mart and Target carried this stuff before finding this forum. I've focused most of my searching on dedicated toy stores (does Toys R Us carry anything?) and hobby shops. I guess I need to drag the local dept. stores.

I didn't know there were two grades in the Forces of Valor line... interesting. Will have to investigate, though my wife my raise her eyebrows if my sone litters the floor with big 1/32 scale tanks. :)

I did order a Corgi Tactical Strike Abrhams recently, so I'll get to see what that line is like first hand. If it's not tough enough for my son it'll join the Dragon Challenger II tank and 1/72 Corgi Mosquito (found it for $20) on my shelf. :D

-Harrigan

donnieboy
Sergeant
Sergeant

New to this....have some questions

Post by donnieboy » Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:32 pm

Harrigan:
In terms of die-cast planes for kiddies, Yat-Ming and Motor-Max both make 1:48 scale warbirds (some are 1:64) that are beautifully painted but very robust and inexpensive-they lack small breakable parts such as cannon, antennae and pitot tubes. Try these websites:
www.aikensairplanes.com, www.themotorpool.bigstep.com, www.diecast-direct.com, www.onmarkaviation.com. Yat-Ming and Motor-Max models go for about $25.00 a pop-happy hunting!
Go Starbuck!

donnieboy
Sergeant
Sergeant

New to this...have some questions

Post by donnieboy » Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:39 pm

Harrigan:
oops! that Diecast Direct website should be :www.diecastdirect.com (no hyphen).
sorry 'bout that!
You might try www.3000toys.com also.
Go Starbuck!

donnieboy
Sergeant
Sergeant

New to this...have some questions

Post by donnieboy » Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:00 pm

harrigan:
One last thought. New Ray makes a line of 1:32 military vehicles suitable for kids. They are pretty detailed (again minus small parts) and are battery-powered. This line includes an M4 Sherman tank, an M3 Lee tank, a King Tiger tank, a M1A1 Abrams, a Jet Ranger-type helo, a Patriot missle truck, and a Russian T-80 tank.
Try www.toysoldiercompany.com.
They also make warbirds in 1:48 scale-these range from not bad to seriously crappy, but all are cheap and robust.
Good luck! :)
Go Starbuck!

FETCO
Company Rep - Fetco Toy Soldiers
Company Rep - Fetco Toy Soldiers

New-Ray

Post by FETCO » Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:34 am

I agree with donnieboy, New-Ray has good play value and most use
die-cast metal for the main deck on the armor. As to scale some are right on and some are more 1/35. They are still a good bang for the buck and the added feature of Motorized or RC they are great for running over the bad guys and the kids can't disable them with anything less than a hammer. :twisted: . Tom C (fetco)
www.fetcotoysoldiers.com