Repainting FOV 1/16 Tiger/Good idea?

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
tparkhere
Sergeant
Sergeant

Repainting FOV 1/16 Tiger/Good idea?

Post by tparkhere » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:10 pm

Repainting FOV 1/16 Tiger (85104, 1/16 Henschel Sd.Kfz.181 Tiger, sPzAbt 505, #312, Poland), is this a good idea?

I have two of this Tiger. I am seriously considering repainting extra Tiger in ambush pattern by a professional model builder. I have used him many times painting 1/16 RC armors. His work is top-notch. I have not doubt it will look great. I am planning to keep repainted Tiger. However, as an option, in the future, if I were to try to sell repainted Tiger, would you think it will hold its value? By repainting the Tiger, am I ruining it?

As an armor collector, would you buy repainted FOV 1/16 Tiger?

Thank you.

YT
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: Repainting FOV 1/16 Tiger/Good idea?

Post by YT » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:45 pm

No, yes and no.
"There are some people who disagree with me, they are wrong." --Gen George S. Patton

cnq
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by cnq » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:10 am

As an armor collector I would buy repainted items if they were done historically accurate and properly. Some custom paint jobs on armors I have seen are painted more accurate and look much better than stock painting. I have seen the 1/16 FOV Tiger and not too fond of the manufacturer painting. It looks too toy like for me.

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:56 am

Well, you would certainly hurt the value in terms of it being an piece in original mint condition, but it would still potentially have value as a repaint but the question would be then how much is it now worth?

tparkhere
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by tparkhere » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:57 am

[CAT]CplSlade wrote:Well, you would certainly hurt the value in terms of it being an piece in original mint condition, but it would still potentially have value as a repaint but the question would be then how much is it now worth?
That is the question. The market price of this Tiger is $600-$1100 right now. If you saw repainted (Let's assume it's an excellent professionally repainted Tiger) on sale, would you buy it for $600? Or would it sell at significantly lower price, $300-$400 range?

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:14 am

How much was the original? I would likely try to start selling it at my purchase price (to recover my initial cost) and see if the new paint brings in any bonus. If originals are selling well above original price then I might start bidding at 2/3 of what they are going for.

At any rate, you want to try and at least make back your money spent.