Gaincorp SU-34 on Ebay for a 'Good' price

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Gaincorp SU-34 on Ebay for a 'Good' price

Post by aferguson » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:00 am

I know it's a lot but i've seen this model sell in auction for over $300 plus shipping. At $154 shipped it's a 'bargain'.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Russian-SU-34-1 ... 290wt_1153
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

tparkhere
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Gaincorp SU-34 on Ebay for a 'Good' price

Post by tparkhere » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:38 am

Unfortunately, it's not Gaincorp (box).

It's may be Gaincorp SU-34 with a different box, or a kock-off. See SU-47 the seller is also selling. SU-47 looks similar to Gaincorp. But it's not Gaincorp box.

Caveat emptor.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:35 am

yes box and stand are different but model is gaincorp. These were probably sold in China and the items sold there are almost always packaged differently and with different stands....reasons unknown.

I bought an su-47 from a chinese seller a while back at a super price; the box and stand were different (the same as the one in the link) but the model is definitely a gaincorp or an identical reproduction, right down to the crooked tail decals, so i imagine this su-34 is too.

Here's a link to a recent ebay auction of the identical model, bort 43....$365, 77 bids. This seems to be the most popular model of the su-34's produced by Gaincorp.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gaincorp-Precis ... 195wt_1153

tparkhere
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by tparkhere » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:00 pm

Actually, I have all Gaincorp planes.

This SU-34 may or may not be made by Gaincorp. Even if it is the Gaincorp plane, the question is, is the plane worth $150? And knowing the market, I am afraid not many collectors will pay $150 for "something-like" Gaincorp plane. If you are happy with this plane, by all means you should buy it. But keep in mind that in the future, if you want to sell it, you will most likely not get your money back.

Heck, if this plane was Gaincorp SU-34 with the actual Gaincop packaging, I would have bought it in a heartbeat.

I hoep I do not appear argumentative. As an avid military diecast collector, I am just pointing out "the good and the bad" of purchasing this plane.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:19 pm

i just realized there's no box shown in the listing i posted, so i'm not sure how you know this isn't going to be packaged in a Gaincorp box. I double checked the box my SU-47 came in and it actually is a Gaincorp box....says it right on the box. The stand is of the style shown in the SU-34 listing, which is not the usual Gaincorp stand that i've seen, unless they used different styles at different times.

I believe Gaincorp did not actually manufacture anything but ordered models, that were made by another company. Gaincorp designed and used their unique packaging for these models.

I have no doubt that the model shown is identical to those released by Gaincorp. Whether it comes in Gaincorp box or not is uncertain....to those who like to display their models, the box probably won't be much of an issue.

I'm not really a huge fan of Gaincorp's models. They used decals, which are often mis-aligned, the u/c is fixed down (though this can be rectified with a bit of modelling skill) and the overall quality is nice but not great. When they were released they retailed for around $40, which was a great price. What makes (some of) them desirable is the unique subject matter for pre-built planes.

Su-47s and 34's may well not be seen again; especially now that Witty is out of business.

tparkhere
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by tparkhere » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:23 pm

I just went by other items listed by the seller. Actual Gaincorp planes were listed as "Gaincorp." As an example, SU-47 shows different box than Gaincorp packaging. Therefore, SU-47 was not listed as Gaincorp. Since SU-34 was not listed as Gaincorp, I am assuming the plane does not have Gaincorp packaging.

I am with you regarding packaging. I care more about diecast than the packaging. When I had started collecting diecast, I actually threw away boxes (Bad mistake! I ended up buying all of them again to get the packaging.) If I were to keep all military diecast until I go to the Big Hangar in the Sky, then I couldn't care less about boxes. However, as the collection and the budget grew out of control, I needed the original packaging to sell some diecast.

Now, I am aware of the market demand and the price. One of the question I ask myself before buying diecast is, "Will I be at least get my money back?" If the answer is "No," then I usually do not buy them.

snake
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by snake » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:10 pm

I also have many Gaincorp Sukoi's, and all three of the Su 34's released.

To me, this doesn't appear to be a "Gaincorp" Gaincorp Su34, if you know what I mean.

The listing says nothing about Gaincorp, no box to be seen, and I just get the feeling that it isn't a true Gaincorp. Could be wrong.

You could ask the seller directly, before bidding on it.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:10 am

well, i've never seen the real Gaincorp model in person but by comparing the pics in the listing to pics on mule and various diecast sites the model is identical to the Gaincorp. Colour, details, armament everything exactly the same.

Gaincorp models were also sold in China, usually but not always in Chinese AF schemes. Since Gaincorp didnt actually produce the models, it stands to reason that the company that did would try to make extra money by selling them domestically.

At any rate, i may take the plunge as i would like to get an Su-34 and there is no other option except model kits and '''true''' Gaincorp models......the only difference perhaps being the packaging and display stand. Neither of which i care about. I have no intention of ever selling my planes, so re-sale value means nothing to me.

My only concern is that somebody (eg AF1 or some new manufacturer) will release a cheaper SU-34 or a reissue of the Gaincorp SU-34 down the road. Then i'd feel like a bit of a Charlie paying double for this one. But otherwise i have no concerns about this model.

snake

Post by snake » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:57 am

Good attitude Aferg.

It does look like a Gaincorp Su34, without the "papers" to prove.

So if you are just looking for a decent Su34, go for it. The price is right, as you say.

You can always contact the seller, to find out the manufacturer, which should be on the box it comes in.

The Fullback makes a great, and interesting addition to any jet display, and think you would be happy with it. :D

snake

Post by snake » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:58 am

I contacted the seller, and it is not a true Gaincorp, but a Terebo. Never heard of them.

Here is the reply.

" Its brand is Terebo but it is similar to Gaincorp (see the display stand). It may be repacked from Gaincorp. The photo shows the actual model.
Thanks, "

Doesn't really clear it up, but it is not a 100% Gaincorp, if talking about the packaging as well.

Never the less, model does look like a Gaincorp, and the price is good for an Su 34.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:30 pm

thanks, Snake....still debating on whether to go for it.

i wonder if Terebo is some new company coming along or is it the company Gaincorp originally hired to make their models?

edit: here is probably the answer. Terebo is either Air Force 1 or the company that makes diecast for several manufacturers, including AF1, because here is the AF1 X-47B on Aliexpress made by 'Terebo'.

http://es.aliexpress.com/store/product/ ... 13906.html

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:00 pm

well i took the plunge and it arrived today.....6 days from Hong Kong, pretty good.

The model is excellent. Definitely Gaincorp mold. The markings appear to be printed on, i'd have to check with a magnifying glass to be positive but i can see no decal surrounds at all and they are all perfectly straight.

The only flaw i can find on first looks is a tiny bit of overspray of the green on the right wing tip. Doesn't bother me, but just figured i'd mention it.

So, very happy with the purchase. However if this comes out in 3 months as a new release for $70, you'll hear a long loud scream. :)

snake

Post by snake » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:05 pm

Congrats, Aferg.

She is a nice model, and pretty unique and fairly hard to come by.

Does seem to be a repackaged Gaincorp, but it is the model that counts, and not the box.

Welcome to the fairly exclusive 1/72 Su 34 Fullback club. 8)

Good buy.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:08 am

the box is actually much nicer than the Gaincorp boxes. Thick foam insert double cardboard outer with a plastic handle. Much of the text on the box is in Chinese which leads me to believe it's a domestic Chinese product line. Those are usually in PLAAF markings, though, even if the PLAAF doesnt use the plane (eg i've seen SU-33 Sea Flankers in Chinese markings). So it's fortunate they decided to make this one in Russian markings......but maybe that's because it's going to be released worldwide by AF1 or somebody, soon. Grrrr. :)