Amercom And Italeri Lines Arrive In The U.S.

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Amercom And Italeri Lines Arrive In The U.S.

Post by Epap » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:18 am

As I expected, the Amercom lines---fighters, Bombers and helicopters in various scales----has now alighted in the U.S., the first extended listing that I have seen being on The Flying Mule's website. Also, the Italeri Jet line in 1:100th and close to it scales has popped up on the Aiken's site and will, no doubt, soon be posted elsewhere. I have acquired many of these models via eBay and other sources and even though their quality varies from model to model, plus there are general features that some may not like---no pilots for the Italeri jets and the "wheels-up" mode being the only option for display---- its well worth checking out these listings which feature extremely low prices and a number of fairly unusual items.

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: Amercom And Italeri Lines Arrive In The U.S.

Post by tmanthegreat » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:25 am

I was looking through the Amercom listing on the TFM site as well. Lots and lots of items - many of which we've not had in diecast before. They look pretty decent all around and one can't argue with the price. I may get some of the rather unique 1:72 helicopters.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:14 pm

that's good news for sure. Some of the Italeri stuff is not really 1/100, even though it's usually listed as such. The smaller items eg RQ 1 Predator is actually 1/72 and the bigger items such as the U-2R is 1/144. When they go off scale they stick to established scales.

The Italeri U-2R is light year better than the Dragon U-2R of the same 1/144 scale. They do represent slightly different variants, however.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:42 pm

Lots in there to like. Some stuff I've been wanting to get, but sometimes takes a while and arrive damaged when you get them from eastern Europe.
FM has good customer service and quick resolution for things like that.

Seems to be a few missing from the Amercom lineup though. Not seeing the Shawnee helicopter or the Peashooter in there, unless I missed em?

Would be nice if someone carried the GE Fabbri lineup too for some Italian hard to finds, or the maker for some of the obscure Russian aircraft like the IL-28 Beagle I still don't have.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:38 pm

shawnee and peashooter are both there.

lots of great helos in Amercom's line, although i'm not wild about some of the paint schemes chosen. Nice to see the Mi-28 in the line, that means they'll be readily available again. There over $50 on ebay at the moment. Didn't see the Stallion though, bummer.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:15 pm

i received my first couple of Amercom 1/72 planes from Ebay today. Sea Harrier and Helix. They both look pretty good, especially for the price (cost $17 each including shipping). However, i was surprised that the Sea Harrier didn't have the option to pose it with retracted undercarriage; it's just fixed down. I thought all these ixo/altaya/amercom 1/72 planes had the option of raised or lowered undercarriage?

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:05 pm

That's sort of what I was afraid of with some of the Amercom 1:72 planes that have the extended gear - they are fixed and don't come with the pieces to show them retracted.

Either way, I got a couple of the Amercom WWI planes that The Flying Mule has had in stock yesterday (a Fokker DRI "Red Barron" and an Albatross D.V). I've very pleased with both. Detail is quite good and I'm very happy Amercom made the extra effort to include a figure in the cockpit and wires on the wings. Makes them very much like smaller versions of the 1:48 Corgi models. I think now I'll just go ahead and get the entire Amercom WWI aircraft lineup as well as some of the unique interwar planes like the Bristol Bulldog :wink:

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:41 pm

I'd take a long hard look at the Amercom Bulldog. Here's a picture of mine----before I modified it. The shape of the tail is hopelessly off and there's no ribbing under the wings:Image

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:49 pm

yes, unfortunately the Amercom Bulldog is not good. There is no fixing the tailfin. All you could do is buy a 1/72 kit and graft that tailfin onto it and paint to match. Might as well just build the kit. A real shame.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:10 pm

The Bulldog is off, but other biplanes seem to be alright give or take for the price?

I kind of figured but wasn't for sure the Amercom models had gear down mode only even though some are copies of other aircraft made with the option of them up too like the 1:72 Altaya and IXO planes. Having a lot of their's and some Amercom 1:144 planes I've gotten used to it down only.

There's a lot of fixed gear planes and helicopters to like where it doesn't matter like the Peashooter and the WWI biplanes.
I'll bet the WWI fighters are small which is kinda cool if the detail is ok.
Anybody got a comparison pic of a 1:48 biplane next to a 1:72?
I have quite a few Matchbox and Hallmark 1:48 biplanes, but none 1:72 turns out.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:51 pm

Dauntless wrote:Anybody got a comparison pic of a 1:48 biplane next to a 1:72?
I have quite a few Matchbox and Hallmark 1:48 biplanes, but none 1:72 turns out.
Here's a couple quick pics of the Amercom 1:72 scale Albatross DV with a Corgi 1:48 scale version:

Both Albatross models seem pretty close (or close enough) in terms of their tooling. The engine and radiator were detailed nicely on the Amercom model, for it being so tiny.

On another note, that Bulldog tail is way off... I'll still probably get it as I've been wanting a prebuilt Bulldog in any scale for a while, but it certainly isn't a perfect model. Guess that's what one gets with a $17 diecast model.

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:11 am

tmanthegreat wrote: Guess that's what one gets with a $17 diecast model.
Bingo!!! :D
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:17 am

I was able to fix the tail on my Bulldog, using putty, but the sanding down process destroyed the adjacent paint job. So, I redid the Bulldog in a Spanish Republican livery, which is seen in the picture, below, in the second row, right side:Image

the_bird
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by the_bird » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:04 am

I notice one of our own American_Grenadier has begun to list Altaya military vehicles aswell. at very affordable prices here are a couple of his listings

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALTAYA-DIECAST- ... 2c7509f997

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALTAYA-DIECAST- ... 233146c834

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:06 am

the amercom p-26 is neat but the paint scheme they chose is a snoozer. Would have preferred one of the more colourful options or a Philippine air force version. Amercom makes questionable choices sometimes in their choice of liveries.....like the Taiwan air force F-84. What's that about??

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:53 am

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the factory makes the scheme choices, not Americom, AF.
I believe that when the decision is made to copy an HM model, like the P-26, or a SkyMax model, like the F-84, that the factory merely chooses the easiest scheme to do that was put out by the original manufacturer and simply copies this as well as the toolings. Often, this includes whatever mistakes were made originally.

AMERICAN_GRENADIER

Post by AMERICAN_GRENADIER » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:29 pm

I have been offered these should I get them?
"SEMPER FIDELIS!"
Good Traders: Buckyroo, Razor17019, Sentinel
exether_mega, Snake, thehun, Mesa

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:59 pm

That's a tough one AG. Don't know much about the margins or if they can be turned for a profit.

The Flying Mule newsletter is about the longest list of one make of diecast I've ever seen. :shock:
Don't know who else is carrying in them in the US except one seller on Amazon, which btw have competitive prices

That Peashooter would have been a lot better as an interwar US Army glossy OD with yellow wings, but it does have a simple beauty to it. Surprised someone was still flying one in 1942 which this one has the insignia for.

Thanks for the size comparison pics Tman. I am surprised at the close comparative quality to the Corgi. Was checking out all the other biplanes and the Swordfish looks pretty decent, a copy of the Corgi which is outstanding.
Always liked the SE5A (radiator with wings) Amercom has had for a while.

I saw Aikens selection of Italeri Epap.
The Fairchild C119G and the Savoia Marchetti S. 55 I assume are GE Fabbri then. Was hoping to see something like that, but jets I guess.
Are you going to get the Oxford Condor Legion Hs-126 to go with those Spanish Civil War planes?
Sure wish someone would produce the Fiat CR42 again.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:46 pm

Speaking of the Amercom P-26 - I have the Hobby Master 1:48 version of the same aircraft.

The USAAF P-26 that Hobby Master and Amercom have replicated was initially stationed in the Panama Canal Zone. Then, in 1942–43, the Guatemalan Airforce "acquired" seven P-26s in something of a covert arms deal with the US to get around trade restrictions. The replicated aircraft was part of that group. Interestingly, the last two of those imported P-26s were still flying with Guatemala's Air Force in 1956, when they were replaced with P-51s. The P-26's last combat operation was with the Guatemalan Air Force, apparently during a coup in 1954.

I believe the fully restored P-26 at the Planes of Fame museum in Chino, CA was one of the Guatemalan examples.

But enough on that digression :wink:

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:19 am

AMERICAN_GRENADIER wrote:I have been offered these should I get them?
I think that the Amercom and Italeri lines are worth taking on----assuming that the terms are reasonable. Amercom is showing up at more U.S. vendors but the Italeri line is lagging behind. The Amercom package should appeal due to its helicopters, mainly, and, to a lesser extent, its 1:72nd scale offerings. The 1:100th and 1:144th scale jets are quite good but the WW2 bombers are mainly old IXOs.

As for the Italeri Jets, their main fault is the "wheels-up" only mode and the lack of pilots. I have lots of these and they are rather decent replicas. There are some particularly interesting items, such as the Prowler.

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:21 am

Dauntless wrote:That's a tough one AG. Don't know much about the margins or if they can be turned for a profit.

The Flying Mule newsletter is about the longest list of one make of diecast I've ever seen. :shock:
Don't know who else is carrying in them in the US except one seller on Amazon, which btw have competitive prices

That Peashooter would have been a lot better as an interwar US Army glossy OD with yellow wings, but it does have a simple beauty to it. Surprised someone was still flying one in 1942 which this one has the insignia for.

Thanks for the size comparison pics Tman. I am surprised at the close comparative quality to the Corgi. Was checking out all the other biplanes and the Swordfish looks pretty decent, a copy of the Corgi which is outstanding.
Always liked the SE5A (radiator with wings) Amercom has had for a while.

I saw Aikens selection of Italeri Epap.
The Fairchild C119G and the Savoia Marchetti S. 55 I assume are GE Fabbri then. Was hoping to see something like that, but jets I guess.
Are you going to get the Oxford Condor Legion Hs-126 to go with those Spanish Civil War planes?
Sure wish someone would produce the Fiat CR42 again.
Yep, I intend to get the Oxford HS-126 as I know how to modify it after my recent Atlas redo.

sluff
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by sluff » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:07 pm

Does anyone know where to find the mh-53 Sea Stallion? No one seems to carry it anymore.
Where is my Skyraider?

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:13 am

it was a subscription bonus that is very hard to find now. They're around $100 on ebay. I suspect it will be around again some day, however. Most manufacturers like to re-use tooling; especially expensive tooling like the Stallion would be. Just be patient.

sluff
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by sluff » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:57 am

Copy that sir!
Where is my Skyraider?

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:32 pm

Attention Canadians: The hard to find Amercom MH-53E Sea Dragon is available on Amazon Canada and for a pretty good price ($29 plus $8 shipping and no tax!). Shocking, i know.

It's being sold by Amercom Hobby so i think it is coming directly from Amercom in Europe. Whatever i grabbed one.

Seems to have some accuracy issues, the main one being the colour, but i'm not too worried about it. The colour is correct for other CH-53E's, just not this "Black Stallions" version. For the price i think it's dandy.

link: http://www.amazon.ca/gp/offer-listing/8 ... dition=all