Is MB still making 1/72 planes?

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
DocTodd
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Is MB still making 1/72 planes?

Post by DocTodd » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:02 pm

I was wondering if Matchbox is still producing collectors planes in 1/72 scale. It has been quite some time since I have seen or heard anything.
Thanks,
Todd

hworth18
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by hworth18 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:07 pm

Matchbox has shelved the aircraft line and doesn't plan on producing anything new thru 2006, so you can probably say it's dead.. :cry:
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:54 pm

Thats a shame with Matchbox. Their planes were of very good quality and sold for an excellent price. At least there is the new 1:72 FOV planes (and tanks) that are within the same price range. For a little more, there's the Dragon & Corgi planes, but again, too bad with the Matchbox. We have better start raiding our local Wal Marts and snagging up those final few releases!

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:00 pm

Interesting. I didn't know that. With the shelves full of them at my local Walmart, I didn't even notice.....

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

ogravl
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by ogravl » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:51 am

That is strange. I had heard that WM was carring them and have been checking local WM's for months and still have to see anything of them. Target was the LAST place around here to have them. Now too they are gone.

WGP Klaus
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by WGP Klaus » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:04 am

ogravl wrote:That is strange. I had heard that WM was carring them and have been checking local WM's for months and still have to see anything of them. Target was the LAST place around here to have them. Now too they are gone.
If you're within reasonable driving distance of a KB Toys Outlet store, I suggest trying there, as they're always popping up at the two in my AO and they typically run about $4.99. Also might want to check Tuesday Morning stores if they're in your area as they also seem to have some leftover MB aircraft on the shelves for about the same as the KB stores.

HTH

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:31 am

My understanding about Walmart carrying these is that Matchbox had a warehouse full of the aircraft when Target dropped the line.. Walmart took on the line to help Matchbox get rid of excess inventory..That's why you see many of the last year/recent releases, but nothing new at Walmart.. :cry:
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

DocTodd
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by DocTodd » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:32 pm

Thanks for the update Harry.
Todd

Bruzzer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Bruzzer » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:11 pm

Couple of things, the matchbox planes have started to show up at Target again. I bought them at Targe less than a year ago when they were on clearance. :?
I was down in SoCal last weekend and went to a Mattel outlet store. I found a 190's, 109's and P40's for less than $4. They also had Shermans, Churchills and T34's. I picked up a few. If you live by one you may want to check them out. Prepare yourself lines were outrageous
http://www.mattel.com/matteltoystore/locations.asp

bboc
Corporal
Corporal

Selling in sets might not be such a good idea.

Post by bboc » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:24 am

If Target had been able to pick and choose, Mattel might have done better. Down my way, if instead of having all 6 from a set, they could have sold a lot more 109's. They always disappeared in very short order.
Of course, this brings up another question. Since Toy's R Us wouldn't sell the German Matchbox tanks, what happened to them? I saw many Shermans, etc. on their shelves last year, so there must have been a corresponding number of Pz IV's and V's. No one has mentioned them showing up at KB or anywhere else. Does anyone know?

rmoore456
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Re: Selling in sets might not be such a good idea.

Post by rmoore456 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:18 am

bboc wrote:If Target had been able to pick and choose, Mattel might have done better. Down my way, if instead of having all 6 from a set, they could have sold a lot more 109's. They always disappeared in very short order.
Of course, this brings up another question. Since Toy's R Us wouldn't sell the German Matchbox tanks, what happened to them? I saw many Shermans, etc. on their shelves last year, so there must have been a corresponding number of Pz IV's and V's. No one has mentioned them showing up at KB or anywhere else. Does anyone know?
I have found the Pz III and Panther at Tuesday Morning.

Ray