NEW FOV Panther 80082

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
Heer
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

NEW FOV Panther 80082

Post by Heer » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:07 pm

"...the first 24 hours of the invasion will be decisive...the fate of Germany depends on the outcome...for the Allies, as well as Germany, it will be the longest day." -Erwin Rommel

jkinzel
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: NEW FOV Panther 80082

Post by jkinzel » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:08 pm

:roll: Wow a new panther has FOV done Panthers before?LOL.

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:11 pm

Love it, will definitely be adding it to my collection
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Dauntless-----------------------[Cat]CplSlade
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

Heer
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Heer » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:55 pm

cjg476 wrote:Love it, will definitely be adding it to my collection
Definitely one of the more common paint schemes that FOV has released for the panther. I was hopiing FOV would do a winter version, which they kinda did with the Bastogne version Panther, which I bought. Nice choice of camo by FOV for their panthers. :D
"...the first 24 hours of the invasion will be decisive...the fate of Germany depends on the outcome...for the Allies, as well as Germany, it will be the longest day." -Erwin Rommel

ketelone

Post by ketelone » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:44 pm

Be prepared for no weathering and an out of the factory paint job. The FOV camo is almost glossy, not really drab or flat as one would expect military camo to be.
Ketelone

"Freedom is not free."

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:19 pm

I know there not perfect but i still like it.
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

ledhead0085
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by ledhead0085 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:23 pm

its a good thing its glossy because it makes it easier to weather your self. im kinda glad they stopped weathering them because sometime they would do a horrible job. ether to much weathering or leaving concentrated puddle to dry in places. some did come really nice tho. you can weather these your self with better result. and since its glossy the first step has already been done for you. take a very thin wash of enamel paint some earth tone. ak interactive sell premixed washes for this at a good price. work it in to all the details any runs or thick spots just put some paint thinner on your brush and brush it away. that wont work on a flat paint job. when your finished let cure for a day or 2 then airbrush a flat coat on over top this will seal it and give you your flat coat that you want. i would like to point out that when they did come out of the factory they would have a semi gloss paint job. because gloss holds up to the weather better. it allows water to more freely run off. its also easier to get an even coat. then the camo was field applied, it was thinned with what ever they had available like gasoline so the camo over top the semi gloss dark yellow would come out flat most likely. if you look at tanks in museums even the ones that have not been repainted you can tell it was originally a semigloss base coat before the weather and combat took its toll on it.

ketelone

Post by ketelone » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:06 pm

I'm with you Corey. FOV is the only game in town now...
Ketelone

"Freedom is not free."

Heer
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Heer » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:01 pm

FOV does most of their casting AND paint job really well imho. But the weathering is just non-existent anymore. They used to do their weathering pretty decent but I guess practicing my own skills isn't a bad thing. If it weren't for the bastogne panther I wouldn't have painted anything at all.

binder001
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by binder001 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:11 am

I agree that the lack of weathering is not a big problem. Different machines will weather differently, so I don't like all the tanks looking the same. Plus, as mentioned earlier, FoV can do a pretty crappy job on the weathering. Their M26 Pershing had so many ding's and dents it looked like a relic from a firing range instead of a tank that had only been in action for a month or two. A little too much "artists license" on that one.

ketelone

Post by ketelone » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:45 pm

Excellent point Binder
Ketelone

"Freedom is not free."

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:20 pm

Out of all the repaints fov releases, I always welcome the panther.
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:27 pm

I like the paintjob, but despise the lack of weathering. I understand the comments above about some of the old weathering either being either under or overdone, but when FOV put their mind to it, they did a good job once upon a time. I'll stick with my S1 "Normandy" Panther for the time being :wink:

Still, the FOV Panther is a great tooling with excellent detail. Really, much better than the 21c 32x version. Did Unimax ever fix the upside-down main gun mantlet on the turret?
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."