FlakPanzer tracks

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
daverose1
Corporal
Corporal

FlakPanzer tracks

Post by daverose1 » Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:20 pm

Is it me or do the tracks on the 21st Century Mobilwagon look like they belong on a Sherman. They are most definately not what was on the real thing. I surfed around and found a few pictures of the real deal from 1944. Those appear to have typical Pzkw IV tracks. My flakpanzer has chevron blocks on the tracks? They realy look like latewar Sherman tracks! Could 21st have put the wrong tracks in the box? (oh, this is the "Kit" version)

If this has been mentioned and discussed sorry! I did search the subject.

David

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by tmanthegreat » Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:25 pm

Mine look like that, but seem to differ in size from my 32x Sherman.

daverose1
Corporal
Corporal

All the Pzkw IVs

Post by daverose1 » Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:36 pm

I just bounced off 21st Century's web sight. All the Panzer IV derived vehicals have this track, ugh. They don't match the tracks on either my FOV Sherman or the pictures of 21st's Shermans, that was just the closest thing I could compare them too. The track on the Panzer IIIs look right. The 21st Panzer IV H, the Stug IV, and the Wirblewind all have the same track. I like consistency, but Geez.

David

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by krieglok » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:30 am

I thumbed through some of my PZKW IV books and there is a version of track link that appears once in a while that seems to have a solid center which kind of looks like the 21st tracks. Ther photos show a much more concave or depressed center rather than the pronounced chevron as on the 21st models. Maybe they copied the lessor known track and did it the way they did for strength or something.

TJ

PanzerArm

Post by PanzerArm » Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:15 am

Yeah, I noticed that the tracks on all the panzer IV variants 21st makes have the same tracks that they used on the Bulldog. I remember when the Bulldog first came out, and thinking that they looked somewhat like Panzer IV tracks. Somewhat, but they shouldve made new ones for the panzers, the resemblence isn't enough for me.

Kevin

daverose1
Corporal
Corporal

Post by daverose1 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:35 pm

Kreiglok, I've seen the tracks you're refering to. But the chevron pattern on that track almost looks like an optical illusion!? They don't resemble whats on my Flakpanzer. I think Panzerarm has it right, they had 'em so they usd 'em :?
I like the tank even though it has the wrong gun as well. I'm an old wargamer (Grognard) and frankly I was surprised RECENTLY when I discovered the Mobil wagons were built with the 37mm. Most of the armor games I've played over the years portrayed it with the quad. I still need to check my most recent version of "Steal Panthers" on my son's computer to see how it's portrayed there.
My son immediately recognized the tank from "Call of Duty", which also has the quad twenty version :P

David Rose

Jagdplastic
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: FlakPanzer Tracks

Post by Jagdplastic » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:41 pm

Are we saying here that there were no Mobilewagen's with the quad 20 MM gun? While it appears that the 37 MM version was more common, I do have an actual photograph of a Mobilewagen with the quad 20 mount. The shields are not in place, however.

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by krieglok » Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:52 pm

I should have prefaced my entry by saying it is an observation on my part rather than a fact. You are correct in that the track is the same as M41 track. The M41 was made before the PZKW IV right? I guess we have to keep in mind that the 21st stuff is made more with the idea of playvalue rather than complete authenticity. It is a balance I find to be just about right.

About the flak panzers, I have one printed source that says only one was made and I have sources that say a couple hundred were produced with the quad version 20mm. It depends on where you read it or who you listen to.

TJ

daverose1
Corporal
Corporal

Quad vs 37mm

Post by daverose1 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:48 pm

The 37mm vs 20mm has been hinted at a couple times here. In surfing about looking for data on the Flakpanzers. I bumped into several sights that went into some detail about this (unfortunately, I can't remember the sights. Just search "Flakpanzer") The word was that all the prototypes (and maybe a few production?) vehicals were built with the flakvierling. The Germans felt that by late '44 the 20mm didn't have enough punch for later attack aircraft (IL-2) so replaced the quads with the 37mm (more range better terminal punch). I think only one source said something about two vehicals keeping their quads. One sight had pictures of mobilwagons with 37mm mounts. I went and checked "Steel Panthers ww2 v6" it has the vierling only as does every tactical armor game I've ever played.

Where lies the truth :?:

Found one of the sights, good pics->www.jagdtiger.de/index2.html

David