Hobby Master 32nd scale SBD Dauntless question.

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
P39time
Sergeant
Sergeant

Hobby Master 32nd scale SBD Dauntless question.

Post by P39time » Wed May 30, 2012 10:35 am

Hi guys,

I have been gone for a while, but I am back ready to get back into collecting. I am looking to get a Hobby Master 32nd scale SBD Dauntless model. I am a huge fan of Hobby Master models, and I would like some opinions of the SBD model before I purchase one. Thanks for the input, and good to be back. :)
Jarod

Coreyeagle48
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: Hobby Master 32nd scale SBD Dauntless question.

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Wed May 30, 2012 8:26 pm

Greetings

I had all of them at one point but have dropped it down to 2. They are nice models.

PROS:

Detail is excellent, diecast construction is great

Lots of working features

Nice touches on some versions like a transparent engine cowling.

Variety of color schemes to choose from

Paint finish and quality is excellent.

CONS:

On some of the versions, the propellor tends to droop and hit the cowling. This was most prevalent on the McCluskey version, it has been basically corrected on the later production runs.

The plane is more like a model kit. The pitot tubes, exhaust pipes, machine gun parts are all fragile and require careful handling. The fit isn't the best on these parts either and a lot of times they fall off simply moving the model. I know some people have glued these parts into their spots.

The pilot figures leave a lot to be desired. If you have the BBI Dauntless, the pilots will look great in the Hobbymaster Dauntless. The Hobbymaster pilots are not very detailed and the pilot especially is too small and looks short in the front cockpit.

Hope this helps

Corey
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

snake

Post by snake » Wed May 30, 2012 9:51 pm

Welcome back P39time.

Corey has pretty much covered it, but there is one thing I would like to add. The later releases come with a display stand, while some of the earlier releases didn't. Something you may want to consider if you want to display in flight. :wink:

Lots of schemes to choose from now, and you might even be able to order a display stand for the earlier releases, so go for the one you like.

jlspec
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by jlspec » Thu May 31, 2012 5:14 am

I have 2 so far. The Yellow Wing and 2nd Midway version. I have a Coral Sea version due to be delivered Friday this week. Corey gave the best description as to the pros and cons. They are among my favorite diecast

plasticgeneral
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by plasticgeneral » Thu May 31, 2012 9:04 pm

SAVE your MONEY!!!! BUY the "BLUE BOX" version, just as good and a hell of a lot cheaper!!

The PLASTIC GENERAL

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:32 am

plasticgeneral wrote:SAVE your MONEY!!!! BUY the "BLUE BOX" version, just as good and a hell of a lot cheaper!!

The PLASTIC GENERAL
The HM version is FAR better than the BBI version and can be posed on it's stand in a full dive position with flaps deployed. I do agree with earlier comments about the pilot figures though. I used 21st's US Navy pilots, they are an excellent addition and vastly improve the look of the model.
Here are some shots of the one I had along with the 21st pilot figures..
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

P39time
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by P39time » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:23 pm

Beautiful pictures, thanks for posting them. You sold me now. :)
Jarod