HM 1/48 F-4U Corsair.

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
snake
Officer - Brigadier General

HM 1/48 F-4U Corsair.

Post by snake » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:55 pm

Just announced a few days ago.

Hobby Master is doing the F-4U Corsair in 1/48. 8)

Model will have interchangable outer wings for either folded, or in flight mode. Some pre production shots, from ACPilot at DHP.

Fantastic news, and I am sure HM will do a great job on this release.

Love the Corsair. Have 5 of them in 1/18, and a couple in 1/32. Never could get into 1/72 for single engined fighters, so 1/48 is the next best thing to a 1/32 release. :D

tmanthegreat

Re: HM 1/48 F-4U Corsair.

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:50 pm

So that's how they'll do the "seperate wing" feature. I was envisioning something whereby the whole wing piece detached at the fuselage, but that system shown above where it detaches at the actual hinge point makes much more sense in hindsight :wink: I hope the Kepford Corsair does not have the radar pod - it would be highly inaccurate for his aircraft from the 1943 timeframe! Otherwise, the tooling looks very nice. Just as good, if not better, than my 1:32 and 1:18 examples 8)
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:01 pm

Looks great, as it is a Hobby Master I kind of expect it to. :) I am also glad they did the wings this way. At this small of a scale there is no way you could make the wings fold up and down and look realistic. The hinges would be big, and that would not look very good. Hobby Master continues to lead the way in innovative products. Really looking forward to this one. :)
Paul Hebert

It's been a long road, but I am still in the game. :)

gouchy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gouchy » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:47 am

It's looking really good 8)

Is this the latest evolution to diecast aviation models for hyper realism? What next... scratch-n-sniff aviation exhaust or self-spinning prop? :lol:

I think I'd like to have just one with the folding wings feature, I won't know what to do with more if all the HM corsairs come with it. No use hiding the beautiful corsair with the wings folded over her modesty

I'm a little worried about the price though, may jump 25% above the normal 1/48 prices.

is there anything similar in concept in diecast cars? I know cars have swinging doors and lifting bonnets but its difficult to translate this to aviation in 1/48 scale and below I reckon.

Maybe they took a look at the changeable cowling on the 1/32 SBD and brainstormed from there. Snake, you have the SBD, is the cowling made of plastic and easy to swap out?
"Be Water, My Friend..."

Good Trader: Tankace

vmf214

Post by vmf214 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:59 am

Gonna have to get this one. As far as hinges, they could have incorporated them to look realistic if they wanted too. Monogram did a good job with their 1/48 fold mechanism on their kit. I suspect the extra wing feature is a cost cutting measure. Hard to say. Bet it'll be a tad bit pricey.
Positive B/S/T refs: hworth18, coreyeagle48, raiderad6, pickelhaube, JOC, american_grenadier, xddave, tmanthegreat

snake

Post by snake » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:51 pm

MSRP on this is $70 on pre order.

Bit more expensive than HM previous 1/48 releases, but with interchangeable outer wings, to be expected.

Glad that HM went with this option, as it seems like the best compromise if you want to have folding wings. Doubt they could get the hinges both looking realistic, and durable enough to not break with use, in 1/48 scale.

Think this will be a good seller for HM.

gouchy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gouchy » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:15 am

Picture of the Corsair's interchangeable wings is up on Hobby Master Collector,

Neat! 8)

"Be Water, My Friend..."

snake

Post by snake » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:00 am

Model looks great. 8)

But would have preferred a solid wing, which would have also kept the price down.

Great if you want to display gear down, and folded. But I don't.

However, a great looking Corsair from HM. :D

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:14 am

Fantastic looking model :D

I like the wing idea, but I still think they could have made the wings fold themselves without needing the seperate pieces. It was done successfully (in my opinion) on their F9F Panther tooling.

Still I like what I see and I'm debating whether to get Kepford's Corsair or the S2 Boyington version. I've got a personal connection to Boyington which makes that release a must-have, but Kepford's plane looks fantastic and I'll probably wind up with that as well.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

derek_001
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by derek_001 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:43 pm

whats the price tag on this cause ive got to have this!!!
WESTERN OKLAHOME R/C AIRCRAFT & MODEL COLLECTER

[CLICK THE LINK BELOW TO VIEW MY COLLECTIONS]

http://forums.fighting118th.com/album.php?u=363

"Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

gouchy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gouchy » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:36 am

tmanthegreat wrote:Fantastic looking model :D

I like the wing idea, but I still think they could have made the wings fold themselves without needing the seperate pieces. It was done successfully (in my opinion) on their F9F Panther tooling.

Still I like what I see and I'm debating whether to get Kepford's Corsair or the S2 Boyington version. I've got a personal connection to Boyington which makes that release a must-have, but Kepford's plane looks fantastic and I'll probably wind up with that as well.
You're right forgot they did a folding wing on the Panther. The Panther is one HM mold I did not buy at all, so no idea if the folding wing was done well? I was tempted by Falcons 1/72 Panther but because of not-so-good reviews its pretty low on priority for me.

I have the same dilemma whether to get Kepford or Boyington but leaning towards Boyington, even though I have both schemes in 1/72, Corgi for Kepford and Dragon for Boyington. I'm pretty sure HM will release a lot of Corsair schemes quick and fast so I need to be prudent and not shoot all my limited ammo at schemes I've already got in hand no matter how nice it is in 1/48

Derek, preord price listed approx US$70 thereabouts for most, look around reputable etailers for shipping deals is where you can save some $
"Be Water, My Friend..."

snake

Post by snake » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:37 am

derek_001 wrote:whats the price tag on this cause ive got to have this!!!
As gouchy said, $70, which is a bit more expensive than other 1/48 HM releases, due in part two having both wing options.

But many etailers in the US offer free shipping on orders of $50 or more.

derek_001
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by derek_001 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:30 am

snake wrote:
derek_001 wrote:whats the price tag on this cause ive got to have this!!!
As gouchy said, $70, which is a bit more expensive than other 1/48 HM releases, due in part two having both wing options.

But many etailers in the US offer free shipping on orders of $50 or more.
well i dont bother withe using sites online to buy these im waiting till it comes out in stores hobby lobby always has the top of the line when it comes to stringline models dicast and much MUCH more favored store to bad thay never carried BBi or any of the toy 1:18th manufacturers products
WESTERN OKLAHOME R/C AIRCRAFT & MODEL COLLECTER

[CLICK THE LINK BELOW TO VIEW MY COLLECTIONS]

http://forums.fighting118th.com/album.php?u=363

"Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams