FOV 1/32 Panthers

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
Heer
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

FOV 1/32 Panthers

Post by Heer » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:16 pm

I was just wondering on purchasing one of FOV's panthers, so I need your advice. I know that there was a normandy type three-toned vehicle and also a late war "V" patterned panther. The "V; patterned panther looks utterly horrible, and I am aware of some of the inaccuracies of the FOV panther. So the question is, are the panthers worth purchasing?
"...the first 24 hours of the invasion will be decisive...the fate of Germany depends on the outcome...for the Allies, as well as Germany, it will be the longest day." -Erwin Rommel

NHoggard12
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Re: FOV 1/32 Panthers

Post by NHoggard12 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:50 pm

I have the S1 three-tone FoV panther, and I think it is just great. Now, I happen to really like the panther tank in general, but I think this release is one of the best (the inaccuracies seem rather insignificant). However, i would try and keep my distance from the S2 release.

MG-42
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by MG-42 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:17 pm

* The (S-2) - (my personal favorite) Panther's late war camo is quite accurate (despite what people think) giving it an urban disruptive scheme. Like JSI's 1:18 exquisite example.

......... I thought FoV did their homework on (S-2's) pattern as well as their 1st.

- MG
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:10 pm

I have found pics of 80226 which is the Eastern Front Panther with the 'V' camo, and 80026 with the tri-color camo.

Can't find the third Panther (was there an S3?) on the Unimax site or through Google. What does it look like, and which is S1, S2 and S3?

Heer
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Heer » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:20 pm

[CAT]CplSlade wrote:I have found pics of 80226 which is the Eastern Front Panther with the 'V' camo, and 80026 with the tri-color camo.
Can you post the pictures or give me the link? Thanks.
"...the first 24 hours of the invasion will be decisive...the fate of Germany depends on the outcome...for the Allies, as well as Germany, it will be the longest day." -Erwin Rommel

MG-42

Post by MG-42 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:28 pm

............ there's no (S-3) Panther as of yet. ... The 1st. series was the tri-colored one and the 2nd. series one is the V pattern camo nobody likes but me.

- MG

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:17 am

The FOV Panther is excellent :D I personally like the S1 "Normandy" version the best (sorry MG-42) but it can be hard to find and expensive (though thanks to a timely tip from this board, I was able to snag one for cheap from ebay a few years ago). The S2 version is much easier to find and some small retailers still have them in stock. The tank has a good solid diecast construction, detailed hull with accessories, and both versions come with Panzergrenadier tank riders. The commander's hatch opens, driver's machine gunner's hatches open and the engine opens.

The only serious flaw with the tooling is that the gun mantlet for the main gun barrel is installed upside down. This can be fixed by taking the tank apart, removing the turret, removing the gun, and turning the piece right side up. My other beef is the lack of a commander figure, but you can easily use a spare FOV tanker or find one of the Dragon CanDo 1:35 Tiger Aces figures or a 21c 32x tanker to go in the hatch.

The FOV Panther outdoes the 21c 32x Panther in nearly every way and is second in quality only to the Dragon 1:35 Panther model (though that doesn't have the rolling tracks or all the opening hatches of the FOV tank). I highly recommend either version of the FOV Panther :D
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

PAK38
Corporal
Corporal

Post by PAK38 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:47 am

I don't think that 21st, FOV 1:32, or Dragon 1:35 have hit a homerun with either of their Panthers to date. Specifically, the FOV Panther seems a bit too large, being too wide and a bit too long. If you turn the mantlet over and re-install it correctly the gap between the underside and the hull top seems too wide. The molded on rear side track lengths and side skirts detract significantly from the model's appearance and, for some reason, I don't see why the turret rear hatch couldn't have been engineered to open.

The FOV 1:32 Panther has been one of the major disappointments in my collection.

I find the 21st S2 (?) Cold Steel version with the ambush camo and the Dragon 1:35 LAH Panthers to be more accurate. They're not perfect, however.

The 21st has molded on tools and episcopes and a too-large commander's cupola. The Dragon doesn't have any opening hatches except the commander's, but even it has to be glued or otherwise engineered to stay in the open position. As pointed out already, the Dragon's tracks don't move.

If you can find a deal on the FOV panther, then the Grenadiers that come with it are quite a bonus, at least with the Normandy version, which is the one I have.

Heer
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Heer » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:29 am

Hmm...I wonder why FOV made so many mistakes on the panther. There is no way I can pay over $50 USD for the panther, so I may have to wait. I also wonder why the normandy panther doesn't have any zimmeret?

MG-42

Post by MG-42 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:44 am

* Well , despite 21st.'s & FoV's inaccuracies in which I do agree , what else ya' got in this scale ? ... We live w/ it like anything else a manufacturer does for us. Perhaps HM will fill this gap and please everybody in due time.

............ However ,.. as far as the FoV Panther not having any zimmerit is concerned , well the Germans stopped using it after awhile since it was introduced as a magnetic mine deterrent. They learned it was flammable when hit , it would catch fire causing the crew to bail out. ... Besides , these being late war tanks , they would'nt have any in the first place.

(series 1) Germany 1944

(series 2) Eastern Front 1945

->>>------> there's no FoV Normandy Panther to date

- MG

PAK38
Corporal
Corporal

Post by PAK38 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:03 am

MG,

My bad. FOV Panther S1 is not Normandy. There I go assuming again.