Is anyone else "addicted" to collecting?

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
paulmerton
Corporal
Corporal

Is anyone else "addicted" to collecting?

Post by paulmerton » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:31 pm

I first discovered the Dragon Armor 1:72 range about 7 years ago, when I was browsing around on eBay and noticed that you could actually buy ready-made model kits that looked vaguely decent. It got me all curious, and certainly seemed like less effort than building and painting your own. It seemed expensive at the time - around £10 I think - but when it eventually arrived, I was blown away by the quality and paintwork. It was a Jagdtiger (60013), and I had intended to make a small diorama for it to sit in. That never happened, and I didn't buy any more Dragon Armor for the next 6 years (believe it or not, £10 still seemed rather expensive to me at the time, and that was the cheapest one I could find).

That all changed last year, when for some reason I thought I'd buy some more tanks to put in a small display case. I ended up getting several Easy Model tanks (mainly because they were cheapest), plus a single Dragon Armor SU-100. A couple of the Easy Model tanks were of impressive quality, but some not so. The Dragon Armor tank, on the other hand, was very impressive, so I considered buying some more.

That turned out to be a slippery slope. Less than a year later, I now have over 240 Dragon Armor 1:72 tanks. I even ended up getting another Dragon Armor 60013 Jagdtiger just so I have the box that I threw away 7 years ago! I'm slightly concerned that I might be getting obsessed with collecting these things!

Then I started getting a few Hobby Master tanks to augment the collection, particularly with ones that Dragon don't make yet. The M-10s, Achilles, Cromwells and Centaurs are pretty nice; not so impressed with the details on the KVs or Pakwagens.

As an aside, I notice some people seem obsessed with having "heavy" tanks with lots of metal content in them. I'm pretty much the opposite - I usually prefer the entirely plastic models, as they tend to have better details, and, with just a small weight inside, they usually end up being a much more appropriate weight. If you think about it, a 30 tonne tank should only really weigh 80 grammes when it's shrunk to 1:72 scale!

When I saw the Panzerstahl models hit the market, I bought a selection of ones which no other manufacturer makes. Again, I wasn't overly impressed with these, and found the mix of diecast metal and plastic to be a bit lacking in detail. They almost look like toys instead of collectors models. Rather like the Altaya/IXO range, I think I probably only bought these because Dragon don't make Ostwinds, FAMOs, etc. yet.

I also got a bunch more Easy Model tanks. Some really do look a bit rubbish, whereas others are great. Most of the Stug IVs and Jagdpanzer IVs look a bit lame - both poor detail and weird paintjobs - but the Jagdpanthers and various modern tanks look pretty good in both respects. Again, some of their models were appealing simply because nobody else made them, such as the 12.8cm Selbstfahrlafette and Char B1 (the latter of which is also quite a nice model).

I only have a few Forces of Valor tanks. They don't float my boat. Too much metal, not enough detail. And what's with all the weird aerial things? :) The only one I do actually like is the Dragon Wagon, which has reasonable detail and lots of appeal.

Funnily enough, when I look at the Dragon Armor Jagtiger that I bought 7 years ago, I now realise that the paintwork looks rather peculiar. Far too bright and defined. Things have certainly come a long way since then, as has my collection.

I now have over 1,000 tanks (1:72, 1:144 and 1:6) in my collection and really don't have any room for more. But because the new releases keep getting better and better, I just can't help buying more! It's probably a good thing that the Dragon Armor releases keep getting delayed :)

ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Re: Is anyone else "addicted" to collecting?

Post by ram04 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:17 pm

Wow, you need to post a few pictures of your collection, I always like to see people that have the habit worse than me :lol:

tparkhere
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by tparkhere » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:05 pm

I am addicted to collecting diecast armors.

I do agree about details versus diecast. If I have a choice between more details versus more diecast content, I will always buy detailed plastic armors. I am still buying 1/72 Dragon Armors. I do not buy 1/72 FOV armors unless they are practically giving them away (less than $5). In my opinion, the best of both world is 1/72 Hobby Master armors. They have great details and more than enough diecast content.

Even though I am a diecast armor fanatic, I gave myself a limitation. I only collect 1/72, 1/35 and 1/32 armors. Having said that I did buy 1/24 FM M1 Abraham tanks and HMVVVs for the "heft." I also bought 100+ 1/50 Corgi armors. I kept the half I liked and the half were sold. I will not be buying anymore 1/50 Corgi armors. Most of them are good. But, there are just not enough variety available.

I also took a "wrong turn," and started to buy 1/72 diecast planes. At the beginning, I just wanted to buy only two of my favorite planes, Stuka and Phantom. After purchasing hundreds of planes, now I am on a mission to collect all 1/72 bombers. My hobby became really, really expensive really, really fast. My wife is not a happy camper :roll:

Heer
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Heer » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:48 pm

I do choose detail over dieast, but dragon seems to have crossed the line. I really do wish that they would increase the diecast just a little, because the tiger p that I just bought weighs less then an apple. The weathering seems to have been ignored as well. :evil:
"...the first 24 hours of the invasion will be decisive...the fate of Germany depends on the outcome...for the Allies, as well as Germany, it will be the longest day." -Erwin Rommel

paulmerton
Corporal
Corporal

Post by paulmerton » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:50 am

Glad to hear it's not just me who is addicted :) The Tiger (P) is yet another reason why I know I will keep collecting more, even though I already have one made from a kit (and probably better quality than the Dragon Armor one).

I never really got into the 1:32 or 1:35 stuff, as I the compactness of 1:72 (and especially 1:144) was one of the things that appealed to me. The only really big thing I have is a 1:6 Panzer II, and I'm not entirely sure where to put that at the moment!

snake
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by snake » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:38 am

I would say that anyone who is a regular member of a diecast model forum is addicted to collecting. :lol: Some more so than others. :wink:

And we all started small. Got our first model, really liked it. Bought another. Before you know it, you are at 50 models. Then 100. Then?

Seen it lots of times.

StormyThoughts
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by StormyThoughts » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:20 am

My first one was the whole green Jagdpanther from Dragon (60008). Now I've got models in my flat, my parents house and my in-laws place, don't know how many in total. Most of them are Dragons and HMs with some 1/48 Tamiyas as well.

I also started with HM and CW planes, but never got really hooked up with these.

Obviously my Fiancé doesn't realize that I still collect them (I have a deal with postman, and intercept all parcels :)) Otherwise I would be cooked pigeon.

Cheers

Luke

AMERICAN_GRENADIER

Post by AMERICAN_GRENADIER » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:10 pm

i dont like to talk about it but im seeking help :D
"SEMPER FIDELIS!"
Good Traders: Buckyroo, Razor17019, Sentinel
exether_mega, Snake, thehun, Mesa

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:58 pm

i think most of the people on here are addicted to collecting. I also think most on here have OCD too....lol. Myself included.

But i don't see it being a problem or harmful in anyway. Unless it is causing undue financial problems, or your about to get evicted for hoarding, not a problem at all.

There are lots worse things to be addicted to...
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:53 am

I used to be addicted more than I am now. I've pretty much outgrown a lot of the sci-fi collecting I used to do, and focused more on the adult military collecting in later years. Fortunately or unfortunately the larger scales of 1:18 or 1:32 have diminished to a trickle and there hasn't been much to buy, so my addiction has gone into rehab, even though I want to say no no no.

I'm looking for a fix, but I can't find one :?
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

PanzerArm

Post by PanzerArm » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:05 am

Dauntless wrote:I'm looking for a fix, but I can't find one :?
My thoughts exactly. I find that my addiction (1/32 military vehicles) has taken a sharp plunge in activity in recent months (years?) mainly because the lack of offerings. I have reverted to using some of the vehicles I stockpiled multiple copies of namely the 1/32 panthers, panzer IVs and panzer IIIs, and making customs out of them. I have also been actively hunting for vintage 1/32(54mm) stuff on ebay to satisfy my desire for something new. I would say that my collection is about 250+ military vehicles by 21st and FOV, with about 1 dozen Figarti 1/32 pieces and a smattering of Britains. I also have about 100 unbuilt vintage 1/32 model kits, and about 25 built ones, with an additional 25 or so white metal models that I think I've only finished one. Most of these non pre-made items have been made in the last year or so just because it seems I have to create my own supply of 1/32 vehicles. Luckily there has been just enough produced that I can oftentimes "kitbash" things together or scratchbuild a little to make an entirely new vehicle. That use of items to make customs is how I justify collecting 15 NIB 21st Panzer IIIs and 3-4 of each of the unbuilt monogram kits in addition to those that are out of the box and/or built. A bit excessive, yes, but now that is has reached that level I find that I don't buy them anymore as I wait before I use the ones I have

-Kevin

paulmerton
Corporal
Corporal

Post by paulmerton » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:38 am

PanzerArm wrote:That use of items to make customs is how I justify collecting 15 NIB 21st Panzer IIIs and 3-4 of each of the unbuilt monogram kits in addition to those that are out of the box and/or built.
Wow! That is indeed extreme. That said, I do have about 20 identical Elefants/Ferdinands and Jagdtigers, but they're only 1:144 scale. You can fit hundreds of them in a shoe box.

It's probably a good thing that there aren't many 1:32 bargains available in the UK. I'm not sure I would have room for them!

Heer
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Heer » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:09 am

It's weird for me, because at first I was crazy about dragon armour and HM. But now that I have ALMOST all the german vehicle variants that I ever wanted, I am starting to wind down. However, I am still waiting for dragon to release a BRUMMBAR in 1/72 and a sdkfz 251/9 as well. A decent mid-late war panzer IV would be awesome also. :D
"...the first 24 hours of the invasion will be decisive...the fate of Germany depends on the outcome...for the Allies, as well as Germany, it will be the longest day." -Erwin Rommel

paulmerton
Corporal
Corporal

Post by paulmerton » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:22 pm

Heer wrote:It's weird for me, because at first I was crazy about dragon armour and HM. But now that I have ALMOST all the german vehicle variants that I ever wanted, I am starting to wind down. However, I am still waiting for dragon to release a BRUMMBAR in 1/72 and a sdkfz 251/9 as well. A decent mid-late war panzer IV would be awesome also. :D
Things I'd like Dragon to release in 1:72 are:

Churchill (I understand this is coming soon?)
Churchill AVRE
Panzer II (it's bound to be slightly better than the Hobby Master version)
Panzer I (normal and command version)
Sturmpanzer II Bison
Brummbar as you suggested
Char 1 (Easy Model do a reasonable version though)
Somua
Matilda II
Matilda canal defence light
Crusader
SU-152/ISU-152
KV1, KV2
Cromwell (although Hobby Master's versions are pretty good anyway)
Marder I, II, III
Comet
Chieftan
BTR-80
Scorpian
Pershing
Hetzer
Panzer 38(t)
Valentine
Archer
Panzer III (can't believe these don't exist yet!)
Sherman crab
M-10/Achilles
DUKW
Tetrarch
Kangeroo (RAM or Priest based)
M8/M20
Universal carrier (aka bren gun carrier)
Goliath :)
SdKfz 234/3
SU-76M
Panzer II Luchs
Tortoise
S tank
T-28
T-35
Independent
TOG 2
Wespe
Grille
Mobelwagen
Wirbelwind
Ostwind
Bergepanther
Bergepanzer Tiger (P)

Crikey, I didn't think the list would end up that long. Looks like I'll keep collecting as long as they start making some of those.

A few WW1 tanks would also be exciting, like a Whippet, Mark V and FT-17.

GI546
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by GI546 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:24 am

If there were more 1:32 offerings, you'd see me on the next episode of Hoarders. :D
So far I only have 19, I'm sure soon I'll be at 190.

Mad Sam
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Mad Sam » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:14 am

Definite addict here.

Got a couple of hundred Dragon armour until the prices started getting silly, and by then I'd found 1/18 aircraft...all this to add to 1/35 tanks, 1/32, 1/48 and 1/48 aircraft...kits and die-cast. There's just too many models and not enough space....

Addicted to the point of having to build a new out-building to store and display everything because it won't fit in the house anymore (despite putting on a two storey extention over the last 6 months.)

paulmerton
Corporal
Corporal

Post by paulmerton » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:13 am

Mad Sam wrote:Definite addict here.

Got a couple of hundred Dragon armour until the prices started getting silly, and by then I'd found 1/18 aircraft...all this to add to 1/35 tanks, 1/32, 1/48 and 1/48 aircraft...kits and die-cast. There's just too many models and not enough space....

Addicted to the point of having to build a new out-building to store and display everything because it won't fit in the house anymore (despite putting on a two storey extention over the last 6 months.)
Ah, I'm in SW England too. Let me know if you need any help getting rid of some :D

Mad Sam
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Mad Sam » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:26 am

Ha ha! I'll keep hold of them for now...I don't intend getting rid of any if I can help it, although dark forces are always plotting against me....

As to the Dragon armour, I got all the first ones when they were released including the Cyber and Dragon Expo releases at reasonable rates, and then couldn't believe the money they were changing hands for just a short time after.

So imagine my surprise when wandering into Bath Model Centre two years after the first Dragon Armour had come and gone, only to find the first two Tigers and King Tigers out on sale for the original rates - which was about 8 quid each, having bought the ones on show I was that surprised at finding them I didn't ask if there were any more, so I drove back the day after to double check if I missed any, and lo and behold there was another 60003 . I asked if there were any more in stock, but they went and checked in the vaults and that was apparently it.

PS - I know you're dying to be asked... Are you THE Paul Merton, or just some bloke off 'Have I got news for you?'

StormyThoughts
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by StormyThoughts » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:37 am

paulmerton wrote: That turned out to be a slippery slope. Less than a year later, I now have over 240 Dragon Armor 1:72 tanks.
Mad Sam wrote: Definite addict here.
Got a couple of hundred Dragon armour...
Wow Guys, these are some impressive numbers...

By any chance have U got Dragon Armor 60181 Huber's JgPzrIV DXExpo'05?

Cheers

Luke

paulmerton
Corporal
Corporal

Post by paulmerton » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:29 pm

Mad Sam: You got two 60003's from Bath Model Centre? Not only is that near me, but I don't have a 60003 either. Damn you :) I am not the paul merton but I have been on TV a few times.

Luke: I don't have 60181. I think I only have a few expo specials, the most impressive of which is undoubtedly the 1:6 scale Panzer II. The box it came in is probably big enough to hold 200 Dragon Armor 1:72 tanks...

Mad Sam
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Mad Sam » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:17 am

Actually now it's mentioned I remember the Hubertank was released while I was out of the country on holiday, and when I got back they had already gone price-mad on E-Bay so I passed on that one. Too many others to collect without blowing a small fortune on one small model.

The duplicate early Dragons I got from Bath Model Centre I sold either on E-Bay or at Shepton Mallet toy fair not long after I got them. Just used them to finance a load more standard releases.

Don't collect them now as the prices for standard releases are in some cases 4 times what they used to be. These days I only get them if I see ones which have been reduced to clear.