Renwal ATOMIC CANNON re-issue by Revell...

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
binder001
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Renwal ATOMIC CANNON re-issue by Revell...

Post by binder001 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:36 pm

In the new (July 2011) issue of Fine Scale Modeler the Revell ad shows that their "historic kit" re-release program will finally bring us the old Renwal "Atomic Cannon" kit in 1/32nd scale. This kit originally dates from the early 1960s, but it builds up into a big impressive model. With some good modeling skills it can still be quite a kicker in a collection. The gun was the M65 280mm gun. To provide mobility there was a big truck attached to each end. For firing the gun was set down, the trucks removed, and the cannon was emplaced. This was the first artillery piece to fire a nuclear warhead. Several batteries of the guns were sent to Germany in the 1950s. As warheads became smaller then weapons like the 8" howitzer or even the 155mm howitzer could "nuke" the bad guys, so the 280's were withdrawn and most were scrapped.

The kit number is 85-7811. There is no info on it on the website yet, www.revell.com so there is no release date or price listed yet.

Just the perfect thing for the guy with about 3 feet of shelf to fill.

PanzerArm
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: Renwal ATOMIC CANNON re-issue by Revell...

Post by PanzerArm » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:07 pm

This is great news! I've always wanted to get my hands on this kit but I never really felt like paying the $500+ people on ebay (or even at IPMS shows) wanted for it.

-Kevin

PanzerArm

Post by PanzerArm » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:08 pm

I'm still waiting for them to re-release the sdkfz 232 that was supposed to be out in April. I need to convert one to a puma damnit!

-Kevin

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:23 pm

PanzerArm wrote: I need to convert one to a puma damnit!

-Kevin
Be sure to take pics of your progress on that so I can copy you. :mrgreen:

ltcbj

Post by ltcbj » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:59 pm

I built a renwal atomic cannon when they first came out. Unfortunately it blew up all my army men at the time and unilaterally disarmed me. I've stayed away from them ever since.
"The only constant is change. Often short change. Learn to accept.": Noah Vaile www.dinosaur-toys-collectors-guide.com
[img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c315/photbug/image6.jpg[/img]
On your mark! Get set! Lunch....
Want your own website? PM me!