FOV 1:72 Wespe

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

FOV 1:72 Wespe

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:33 am

I'm surprised no one has mentioned that this is out now, given that German WWII SP guns seem to be popular. I just got one from TheFlyingMule yesterday and think its pretty nice! Unfortunantly, I don't have any of my own picutres yet (promo pic posted above), but Badcat, FlyingMule and other sites have pictures of the actual product so you can get a good idea of what it looks like...

Anyways, the tank is a great effort and while the detail is not quite to the Dragon or Hobby Master standards, it does break some new ground for FOV and is well worth the price. Overall, the paint and weathering on the actual example appear brighter in real life than they do in the promo pic above. This is also a very small armored vehicle!

The the upper hull is diecast, while the lower part, wheels, gun and interior are plastic. The upper hull has the various tools and stowage crisply detailed. The lower hull is plastic and has the spare track links detailed. The main drive sprockets turn to make the tracks move (a standard feature of FOV 1:72 vehicles) but the boogie wheels do not seem to move. There is some mud weathering on the lower part of the tank.

The interior fighting compartment has the gun breach detailed, including recoil guard, gun sight, ammo storage, hand cranks, and the commander figure. The gun is fixed in the firing position and does not recoil. The gun can elevate and traverse smoothly.

I am not disappointed with my purchase of this vehicle - I tend to like FOV 1:72 armor as its affordable, well detailed, and offers some functionality in terms of moving parts, figures, and sometimes accessories. I look forward to any future releases of other odd pieces of Axis and Allied armor 8)
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Heer
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Re: FOV 1:72 Wespe

Post by Heer » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:16 pm

Nice review. I love FOV too, one of my favorite in their 1 72 line is the sdkfz 251 with rockets. I am contemplating on whether or not to get the bussing nag truck. The wespe looks OK in the pictures, but I don't know what's up with fov these days, their quality semms to be steadily declining compared to where they were in 2005. Nevertheless it was really fov that got me started when I purchased their zundapp a few yaers ago. My respects to fov forever.
"...the first 24 hours of the invasion will be decisive...the fate of Germany depends on the outcome...for the Allies, as well as Germany, it will be the longest day." -Erwin Rommel

EnemyAce
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by EnemyAce » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:18 pm

I really like this little guy. I hope they follow up with a Marder II. That's a mean looking little tank killer.

csiemers
Corporal
Corporal

Post by csiemers » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:32 am

I made a video review of this model:
http://www.youtube.com/tanksandplanes#p ... GezBQLXHTY
-Cary
http://www.wwiivehicles.com