What to do with this Spitfire?

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
nooker21
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

What to do with this Spitfire?

Post by nooker21 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:05 am

I was extremely pleased when 21C finally released a 1/32 Spitfire, but since it came at the tail end of their existence, the quality control was horrendous. I made do with one with a relatively decent paint job with minimal scratches and glue spots.

When I finally put the whole thing together, I was sorely disappointed with the final product. The wings don't seem to be the right shape for a MkI/II (the rear edge seems shaved off and it makes the wingtips look too pointy), the cockpit was nicely detailed but losing bits and pieces (rattling around til I got them to finally fall out), and worst of all, the canopy doesn't stay on AT ALL. I tried bending it, heating it, etc but I was afraid to tweak it too much for fear of breaking it. So it just sort of rested on top...

So here we are in 2010, and I know that these things are rare and worth something. I desperately wanted a small scale spitfire, but I don't like the end result, as was saddened that no other paint schemes or production runs came out for it before 21C went away. My modeling skills are basic at best, and I don't care for the look of the die cast Corgis (for some reason the paint on them makes them look even more toy-like and less detailed than this one).

So do I hold on to this one because it's a rare example? Do I just sell it and look for something else in this scale? Do I take the plunge and massively rework it and repaint it (the wing problem really makes me doubt I can make it look decent, and the canopy isn't going to fix itself). Or do I wait and hope through some miracle that whoever has the mold finally releases some new copies, and hope some more that they actually take the time to fix the dang canopy?

mikeyt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: What to do with this Spitfire?

Post by mikeyt » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:53 pm

keep it as is the last of the line :(

snake
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by snake » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:06 pm

Obviously you don't like it at all, so I would probably sell it.

Not sure what you mean about the Corgi 1/32 Spitfire. I have five of them, and think that they are very well done.

http://www.tricatus.co.uk/CorgiAA_pages/AA33901.htm

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:30 pm

It's a toy your suppose to play with it. Just don't do any barrel rolls. ;)
For $14 (unless you paid those awful ebay prices) I don't think one can expect too much from something in the toy isle.
That canopy is bothersome though.
I dunno, it's gotta be a little more accurate than a Gi Joe vehicle or even a Star Wars toy.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:10 am

Maybe he's referring to those goofy FOV spits we used to see on the shelves- I could never bring myself to spend 3x as much money (vs 21st offerings) on one; much less the P-51s and 109s

nooker21
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by nooker21 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:12 am

Nope, it's 21C. And those Corgis have nice lines, but for some reason to me the green and brown paint on them looks too light and makes them look too funny.

Yeah, you're right, for the price I paid, I shouldn't be complaining. But any pointers for fixing that darn canopy so that it stays in place?

RAD 2112
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by RAD 2112 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:01 am

nooker21 wrote:...any pointers for fixing that darn canopy so that it stays in place?
A small amount Elmer's glue... it will keep the canopy in place without being permanent.
There is no security in this life. There is only opportunity.
- Gen Douglas MacArthur

Safe Trader List:
Black Lion VF-213, hworth18, KWR190, nooker 21, Olifant, Tmanthegreat, Trigger1, V2 MAN, vulgarvulture, Coreyeagle48