My first Century Wings model.

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
P39time
Sergeant
Sergeant

My first Century Wings model.

Post by P39time » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:27 pm

Today is my birthday, and my brother gave me a 72nd scale F-14 model made by Century Wings. All I can say is WOW THIS THING IS BEAUTIFUL. :D I got the # 630215 which is the USN VF-154 Black Knights version. I have really showed this model off today, and I am really impressed with every aspect of this model. Any of you guys have one of the Century Wings F-14s?
Jarod

ostketten
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: My first Century Wings model.

Post by ostketten » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:23 pm

Any of you guys have one of the Century Wings F-14s?
First of all.... happy birthday. :lol: I just received the same F-14 as you early last week, I haven't removed it from the box yet, but there's no doubt it's an oustanding model. The "Black Knights" F-14 is my 2nd CW plane, the first being a VMA-121 "Green Knights" A-6 Intruder. I knew the moment I took the Intruder out of the box there was gonna be more CW aircraft in my collection very soon, and I have an A-7 Corsair and an F-8 Crusader coming my way next week. My only beef with CW is they only have 4 types (excluding the recently released SR-171 Blackbird) and I would love to see them expand their line. If you haven't seen the poll I started, please consider casting your vote for an "all new" Century Wings aircraft, and congrats on your first CW plane... 8)

POLL HERE: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22839
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

snake

Post by snake » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:44 pm

Nice birthday present P39time. Your brother has good taste. :wink:

Century Wings are known for producing excellent models, and their F-14's and SR-71's are particularly sought after by collectors.

They are one of my favourite diecast companies, and have just released some more versions of aircraft they have already done. The only real complaint is that so far they have only done the F-14, A-6, A-7, F-8, and the fantastic SR-71. And have done multiple releases from the same squadron, with only a different modex number to distinguish the aircraft.With the worst example being the 1978 Jolly Rogers F-14. Six different aircraft from this same squadron. AJ200, AJ201,AJ202,AJ203, AJ207, and AJ210. They all look identical, except for different numbers on the aircraft. But never the less, these are big sellers. That is why they keep releasing these.

And four different Black Knights. Although in two different schemes.

I do put my money where my mouth is with CW however. I have 21 out of 23 F-14's. :shock: Just missing two of the 1978 Jolly Rogers. And the search continues for these.

All five of the SR-71's. 8)

All eight of the A-7 Corsairs.

And more than half of the A-6's and F-8's.

Here is a link to the CW website.

http://www.centurywings.com/model_72.html

Welcome to the club, P39time. :D

gouchy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gouchy » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:50 am

I forgot how awesome your CW collection is Snake :shock:

If you include your HM, Corgi and others.. thats really some serious heavy metal!

I assure you P39time, this will be the first of many CW you gonna collect, better start making space for your diecast squadron. Oh you'd better ask your brother for a Hobby Master (any plane will do!) present for Xmas! :D

Here's the shopping catalog... :mrgreen:

http://www.hobbymastercollector.com/
"Be Water, My Friend..."

Good Trader: Tankace

P39time
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by P39time » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:41 am

Thanks guys, guess what? I got two more models! One is a Hobby Master F-100, and the other is a Witty Wings SU-27. I really like the SU-27 model, it is a really big model.
Jarod

mosquitomania
Corporal
Corporal

Post by mosquitomania » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:28 am

Sounds like you had a good birthday P-39time. I too am a big fan of Witty Wings models, and the SU-27 is really cool. You are right about its size, it really is a beast.
"Mossie Mike"

AMERICAN_GRENADIER

Post by AMERICAN_GRENADIER » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:43 am

love there stuff
"SEMPER FIDELIS!"
Good Traders: Buckyroo, Razor17019, Sentinel
exether_mega, Snake, thehun, Mesa

StormyThoughts
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by StormyThoughts » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:58 pm

snake wrote: The only real complaint is...
Price!!!

Thats an AWESOME collection Snake!

I am in the hobby of collecting die-cast armor since 7 years. I've got around 200 pieces and so far I have been able to resist the true dark side of die-cast aviation.

But fighting temptation gets harder and harder :roll:

Cheers

Luke

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:23 pm

P39time wrote:Thanks guys, guess what? I got two more models! One is a Hobby Master F-100, and the other is a Witty Wings SU-27. I really like the SU-27 model, it is a really big model.
How about posting some pics of the "Flanker"...??? I have been thinking about getting one, the "Red 31" that Aiken's has, unfortunately there aren't a lot of good pics around of this bird, I guess because it's somewhat new.
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

snake

Post by snake » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:25 pm

StormyThoughts wrote:
snake wrote: The only real complaint is...
Price!!!

Thats an AWESOME collection Snake!

I am in the hobby of collecting die-cast armor since 7 years. I've got around 200 pieces and so far I have been able to resist the true dark side of die-cast aviation.

But fighting temptation gets harder and harder :roll:

Cheers

Luke
Luke, I understand that the cost of some models in the UK are significantly more than in North America. Not sure why?. I might suggest that you look into getting the model shipped from outside of the UK. As the model itself is not large, shipping is pretty reasonable. The CW A-7, and F-8 in particular can be had for relatively cheap, on Ebay.

Go on!.Take the plunge. I know you want to. :lol:

Here is the Witty Su27 from the Mules website.

http://www.flyingmule.com/products/WT-WTW72014-12

P39time
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by P39time » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:56 pm

That's the same SU27 model I have. Thanks Snake for posting the pictures. Great looking model.
Jarod

AMERICAN_GRENADIER

Post by AMERICAN_GRENADIER » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:45 pm

flanker is worth getting! have 2 of the witty birds in my collection
"SEMPER FIDELIS!"
Good Traders: Buckyroo, Razor17019, Sentinel
exether_mega, Snake, thehun, Mesa

StormyThoughts
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by StormyThoughts » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:05 am

snake wrote:
Luke, I understand that the cost of some models in the UK are significantly more than in North America. Not sure why?. I might suggest that you look into getting the model shipped from outside of the UK. As the model itself is not large, shipping is pretty reasonable. The CW A-7, and F-8 in particular can be had for relatively cheap, on Ebay.
Thanks for kind words and advice, although my wallet doesn't share the enthusiasm.

CW 686250 Vietnam A-7D CORSAIR II MB354 Korat RTAFB 1972 looks nice. Can't find it anywhere though.

Cheers

Luke

StormyThoughts
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by StormyThoughts » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:03 am

StormyThoughts wrote: CW 686250 Vietnam A-7D CORSAIR II MB354 Korat RTAFB 1972 looks nice. Can't find it anywhere though.
OK, One of the eBay sellers I have asked, offered me CW Vietnam A7D new+shipping for 100USD. Does the aviation really have to be so expensive? :(

I like the photos of this one, but is it worth it? Should I go for it? Does it look as good in the flesh? :?:

Cheers

Luke

EDIT: BTW what does 'reservation sold out' mean on CW homepage?

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:18 am

OK, One of the eBay sellers I have asked, offered me CW Vietnam A7D new+shipping for 100USD. Does the aviation really have to be so expensive?
The SEA camo A-7 #CW-686250 is a tough one to find, I don't know of anybody from the usual suspects (ie. Aiken's, flying mule, etc.) that has it in stock. It's also one of CW's smaller production runs of the A-7 @1500 pieces, and given the popularity of the scheme (it sold out quickly) and considering that some of the "common" schemes retail for $80+ I don't think $100 from your ebay source is all that overpriced. If you like the scheme and can dig deep enough in your pocket to snag it, I would say go for it, as I don't think they come up for auction all too often.

gouchy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gouchy » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:22 pm

I'm sure we'll see another A-7 SEA release from CW sometime in the near future,

seeing as how CW usually squeeze dry every last drop of their molds and release popular schemes repeatedly

Only thing to worry is, when it does eventually get re-released, whats the price gonna be then? CW prices keeps going up with every release.

Higher than the $100 you can get it for now? The latest A-7 is about $80?

I do however think $100 is a fair current market price though for the 1st SEA
"Be Water, My Friend..."

Good Trader: Tankace

snake

Post by snake » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:35 pm

ostketten wrote:
OK, One of the eBay sellers I have asked, offered me CW Vietnam A7D new+shipping for 100USD. Does the aviation really have to be so expensive?
The SEA camo A-7 #CW-686250 is a tough one to find, I don't know of anybody from the usual suspects (ie. Aiken's, flying mule, etc.) that has it in stock. It's also one of CW's smaller production runs of the A-7 @1500 pieces, and given the popularity of the scheme (it sold out quickly) and considering that some of the "common" schemes retail for $80+ I don't think $100 from your ebay source is all that overpriced. If you like the scheme and can dig deep enough in your pocket to snag it, I would say go for it, as I don't think they come up for auction all too often.

Agree with ostketten, and gouchy.

The SEA camo A-7 is probably the best one. Although nothing wrong with any of the Navy schemes either. And $100 shipped is a reasonable price. If you can afford it, I also say go for it. I am pretty sure you won't be disappointed.

"Reservation Sold out" means that the model done by CW is no longer available through them. They are only available through dealers. And once these are sold out from the various dealers, then they get tough to find. Ebay is about the only place to get them.

StormyThoughts
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by StormyThoughts » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:23 pm

Ok then Guys :) Its going to be my first flyer and first CW at the same time.

Thanks for all Your input and patience

Cheers

Luke

snake

Post by snake » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:44 pm

StormyThoughts wrote:Ok then Guys :) Its going to be my first flyer and first CW at the same time.

Thanks for all Your input and patience

Cheers

Luke
All right Luke.

And pretty amazing that this will be your first aircraft. You are starting off with a great model.

Give us your thoughts when you get it. Looking forward to hearing your review. :D

mikeyt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by mikeyt » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:33 pm

StormyThoughts wrote:
snake wrote:
Thanks for kind words and advice, although my wallet doesn't share the enthusiasm.

CW 686250 Vietnam A-7D CORSAIR II MB354 Korat RTAFB 1972 looks nice. Can't find it anywhere though.

Cheers

Luke
Imagethis is nice keep looking worth the price