Who has the new F-111 model?

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
skyraider
Corporal
Corporal

Who has the new F-111 model?

Post by skyraider » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:25 pm

Anyone have the new Hobby Master F-111 model yet? I think this is a must have, just wondering what you guys think about it.
Dylan

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: Who has the new F-111 model?

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:09 pm

I got mine last Friday 8)

It really is a neat model and is one of Hobby Master's larger 1:72 scale jets, making my HM F-4 and even the F-105 look a bit small. The landing gear have the simple "plug in" design that's starting to appear on newer HM aircraft, eliminating all the little door pieces, etc. that can get lost. Wheels roll. There are two seperate canopy pieces to display it open or closed. Cockpit is detailed with controls, seats, and control sticks and the pilots fit in easily. The wings swing smoothly, but are a tad loose - at least on my model. Ordinance consists of two bomb racks and two drop tanks that go onto the wings. The ordinance uses a round peg design so the pieces can be "rotated" when positioning the wings at various angles. There are two ECM pods on the underside of the aircraft that are permanently fixed. Engine exhaust nozzels are detailed and you can see the turbofans through the intakes. The stand has a peg that inserts into the lower fuselage and two prongs that rest in front of the intakes to provide support. The base and aircraft supports are plastic while the main "arm" of the stand is metal.

My beefs with the model are few - the stand setup seems a bit wobbly, particularly as the plane is large and heavy. The wings on my plane are a little more loose than I would like, but this isn't a problem as I have the plane on static display. The ordinance bay also does not open or come with parts to display it open.

My biggest complaint - which has nothing to do with the model - is that one of my bomb racks that came with my plane is missing a bomb. It was not in the little bag nor floating around in the box and appears to have been left out at the factory. I'm trying to contact Flying Mule to see if I can get a replacement for the part...

Still, the HM F-111 is a great model and I'm glad I picked one up :D
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

AMERICAN_GRENADIER

Post by AMERICAN_GRENADIER » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:37 pm

i agree a great model. has already becoime one of my fav pieces. i dont have the stand problem although it is a balancing act. i always wanted a 1/72 f-111
i remember when Reagan used them against Libya in the 80's. BOOM!

http://cgi.ebay.com/HOBBY-MASTER-1-72-H ... 230ab352b7
"SEMPER FIDELIS!"
Good Traders: Buckyroo, Razor17019, Sentinel
exether_mega, Snake, thehun, Mesa

snake

Post by snake » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:46 pm

Mine should be arriving soon. :D

Sorry to hear about your missing bomb, Tman. It shouldn't be a problem, as HM customer service is very good.

For anybody thinking about getting this model, I wouldn't wait too long, as I am sure that this release will sell out.

f111guru
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by f111guru » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:40 pm

Received mine today and also a A-1 Skyraider. I ordered both together. Each is well painted and beautiful. Some quick taken images at this site
http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b167/ ... %20Master/

Thank You
Ron VanDerwarker
Ron VanDerwarker
Msgt USAF ret
Weapons
F-4, B-52, F-111

sluff
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by sluff » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:40 am

What the hell? I had a preorder with badcat the day it was announced and they still don't have any in stock, they also don't have any of the new HMs listed for preorder except the A-26 :evil:
Where is my Skyraider?

skyraider
Corporal
Corporal

Post by skyraider » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:23 pm

I love the massive wheels and tires on the F-111 main landing gear. That really gives the plane a cool look.
Dylan

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:29 pm

The HM F-111 is a winner for sure, but I'm holding out for the EF-111C Raven that is rumored to be released next month.

Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

snake

Post by snake » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:20 pm

If you look you will notice that on the EF-111, the gap on the fuselage with the wings swept forward has now been filled. :D

Still not sure how this works, or will be done retroactively on the first two releases. Perhaps make this feature available to buyers who have either of the first two releases.

I like the F-111 enough to get all three of the first releases. USAF, RAAF, and the "Raven"

StormyThoughts
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by StormyThoughts » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:14 am

snake wrote: I like the F-111 enough to get all three of the first releases. USAF, RAAF, and the "Raven"
At 70 Bucks a piece! 50 quid over this side of the pond! How do You Fly-Boys afford this? You work in speculative banking? I buy armor only, and I struggle. Not mentioning ever dreaded Missus!

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:18 am

I picked mine up yesterday and I think it is a fantastic plane. I am a little leary about the ordinance held in with one pin for swinging purposes, but it looks like it will hold.
This is the only F-111 I will purchase and I am very pleased with this one.
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

skyraider
Corporal
Corporal

Post by skyraider » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:34 pm

I got my F-111 model yesterday also, and wow I love it! The wings are nice and tight on mine, and they swing back and forth really well. Hobby Master just has a way of capturing the look of the real planes, and the F-111 is a solid winner in my book! :D
Dylan

KKH
Corporal
Corporal

Post by KKH » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:30 pm

Got mine today, along with the RF-4c. Love them both. Much larger plane than I expected. I'll be getting the Ef-111 when it comes out too. Never had the chance to see a real one, wish I did.

snake

Post by snake » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:23 pm

Welcome to the forum, StormyThoughts. :D

Hope you enjoy your stay.

My Mum lived in St Andrews for almost 20 years, and only recently moved. Lovely town.

StormyThoughts
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by StormyThoughts » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:24 am

snake wrote:Welcome to the forum, StormyThoughts. :D

Hope you enjoy your stay.

My Mum lived in St Andrews for almost 20 years, and only recently moved. Lovely town.
Thank You Snake

Aye, Tis is! Such a shame Tesco is so much more expensive than elsewhere:)

mikeyt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by mikeyt » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:12 pm

Image this is the only one i will get

f111guru
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by f111guru » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:13 pm

The RAAF F-111C is scheduled for delivery tomorrow 11-5 and waiting for next month on the EF-111A
Ron
Ron VanDerwarker
Msgt USAF ret
Weapons
F-4, B-52, F-111

snake

Post by snake » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:08 pm

Got mine yesterday. 8)

Still have RAAF, and "Raven" on pre order. :D

And agree with Tmans review.

A great model, that lives up to it's hype.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:40 am

As an update to my earlier post and complaint about the missing bomb, I was able to contact Hobby Master customer service directly using an email address given to me by a fellow board member. Hobby Master eventually made contact and sent me a complete bomb rack part replacement part! I like the F-111 even more now that mine is complete 8)
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

iballdriver
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by iballdriver » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:35 pm

my 'vaark is being delivered on Monday, along with my f-102(alaska) in the same order. i feel all tingly all over!
coleslaw is a condiment.
Good Trader: Delta Team
vulgarvulture

snake

Post by snake » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:52 pm

tmanthegreat wrote:As an update to my earlier post and complaint about the missing bomb, I was able to contact Hobby Master customer service directly using an email address given to me by a fellow board member. Hobby Master eventually made contact and sent me a complete bomb rack part replacement part! I like the F-111 even more now that mine is complete 8)
Hobby Master's customer support is great. They truly do take care of their customers. :D

As tman's experience shows.

iballdriver
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by iballdriver » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:39 pm

love, love, love, the f-111a 'vaark. (sorry for the double posting on this). what i like the most about this piece is that it can be displayed, in cradle, with the gear down and all armaments attached. on the stick with the gear down, it looks like it is in initial takeoff configuration. What always captured my imagination on this airplane is the main gear config. never thought i would own it, but boy am i glad i got it! aikensairplanes has the SEA USAF variant in stock, free delivery. don't pass it up.
coleslaw is a condiment.
vulgarvulture

snake

Post by snake » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:31 pm

I take it you like your F-111, iballdriver. :lol:

Very happy that HM chose to do the F-111, and they have produced a fantastic model. The only complaint is that if you have the wings swept forward, there is a gap in the fuselage. On the EF-111, HM is providing plastic 'plugs" that fit into this gap. Hopefully they will make these available for the first two releases.

For myself, I vote HM F-111 as model of the year. 8)

iballdriver
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by iballdriver » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:17 pm

snake,
i might just have to agree with ya. i wasn't expecting that i would purchase the 'vaark, bat am glad that i did. I still have a bad crush on the a-1 (the dambusters will brign me up to 4), but the f-111 really stands out. I am a big fan of the f-102, but HM underperformed on that one. I hope that HM engineering learns the lessons of the f-111 and applies it to the f-106. HM should dedicate themselves to the cradle display and drop the plane-on-a-stick concept on all future products. i really like having the option of displaying the f-111 in the cradle with all armaments slung, and with the gear down. HINT HINT!!!
bc
coleslaw is a condiment.
vulgarvulture

f111guru
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by f111guru » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:23 pm

iballdriver and snake,
I myself have thought about purchasing the F-102. An alternative for display would be to set it on a miorror to show the underside without having to figure out how to remanufactire the stand provided from HM. I have the A-1 and am not sure if I want to have it on its stand. This is a single point stand and not a cradle. but looks great with it munitons. Maybe HM will come out with a munitons set for each of their popular kits as they did with the A-10.
http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b167/ ... %20Master/
copy and paste the link for some quick shots of the vark and skyraider taken the day I got them. Haven't taken any of the F-111C as of late. Thanks just a rant
Ron VanDerwarker
Msgt USAF ret
Weapons
F-4, B-52, F-111