Sopwith Camel

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
KSaint
Private First Class
Private First Class

Sopwith Camel

Post by KSaint » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:27 pm

John Jenkins is coming out with a new series called 'Knights of the Skies'. The first aircraft will be the Sopwith Camel used by Capt. Roy Brown.

Don't know yet what it will be made of. The price is high at $188 but Jenkins products are pretty high quality. You can check it out at:

http://www.sierratoysoldier.com/ourstor ... y-c915.htm

dragon53
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: Sopwith Camel

Post by dragon53 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:46 pm

KSAINT:

Thanks for the link.

What is the scale of the Camel....and is it resin?

I wonder if Admiral will ever release it's 1/18 Sopwith Camel.

PHANTOMWARRIOR
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by PHANTOMWARRIOR » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:02 pm

I was talking to Jenkins a few days ago about a Panzer I he made for a new series on the Spanish Civil War. The tank is resin and metal etched parts which is a departure from the King & Country polystone tanks. While he didn't specifically tell me what the Camel is made of, I got the impression that it will have at least some resin parts - especially the wings.

the other inference I got was that he will also make aircraft for his Spanish Civil War series. I think that would be a first for diecast type finished aircraft from the pre-WW2 era.

Terry

PHANTOMWARRIOR
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by PHANTOMWARRIOR » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:03 pm

The Camel is 1:30 scale.

Terry

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:19 pm

PHANTOMWARRIOR:

Thanks for the scale.

ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by ram04 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:38 am

I'm more of a WWII collector, but a 1:18 Sopwith Camel would be neat, WWI aircraft are pretty cool, I keep thinking I'll get a Balsa wood kit and build one. It would have been cool if 21st had made a line of WWI aircraft in 1:18.

456THBG
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by 456THBG » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:45 pm

KSaint wrote:John Jenkins is coming out with a new series called 'Knights of the Skies'. The first aircraft will be the Sopwith Camel used by Capt. Roy Brown.

Don't know yet what it will be made of. The price is high at $188 but Jenkins products are pretty high quality. You can check it out at:

http://www.sierratoysoldier.com/ourstor ... y-c915.htm
For $249 you can get a Sopwith Camel from Historic Aviation or Aikens that has a 29 12" wingspan, with fabric covered wings, wooden propeller & a slew of other authentic materials - I have actually seen one of these and they are awesome (a Spad with 30" wingspan is $299). It's a ton of money, but if your're going to spend a $188, for $61 more, wow!

Coreyeagle48

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:23 pm

Greetings:

That Camel looks really nice and looks to be resin just by the photograph, at least parts of it. I may have to get that when it comes out.

As for the Authentic Models planes, they are nice, but they do have their problems. At one time I had the entire set (Fokker, Spad, Sopwith) in the larger sizes. I also had their DC-3 and Gee Bee. The quality is very hit or miss, some of mine came to me and they were awesome, and some came to me with some amazing problems. My DC-3 had major wing fit issues that were only remedied by gluing the wings onto the plane. They are nice models but for the price I did expect better quality.

Corey
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy