Tips for someone beginning to build models?

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
Ferrari250GTO
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Tips for someone beginning to build models?

Post by Ferrari250GTO » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:02 pm

Alright, so I was watching "James May's Toy Stories" when someone on here posted it up. It was the episode on Airfix- the Spitfire. Since then I just wanted to build one model and see how it turns out. I have never built any model kit! Yes, I know, I must be crazy. There are a few model kits available that have no pre built equivalent, and a few that do.
Right now there are 3 kits I am interested in. I am not necessarily going to attempt any or all of them- as of now.
1/72 Revell
Horten 229
1/144 Revell
Saturn V

(Just a coincedence that they are all Revell)
There are probably a few more that I can't think of right now.
So now the questions-
Tips for building models?
What supplies do I need to build models like these? (I am encouraging you guys recommending things other than just glue and brushes, but go ahead and recommend them too, I am clueless!)
And, are there any models you recommend I start out with? (Only aircraft)

Thanks guys, I am really looking forward to building and completing my first model

snake
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by snake » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:20 pm

I haven't built a kit in 20 years,but I used to be pretty good.Airbrush and compressor,etc.

From the list you gave,I would go with the X-15.

A cool model,and it is all black.This will make painting it significantly easier. :wink:

I will leave it to others to provide hints,but I will say that "practice makes perfect"

Good Luck. :D

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:23 pm

For a beginner, I would definitely recommend a model without complicated parts and canopies, so your best bet to start is with the rocket. The paint scheme is also fairly simple and can be accomplished with simple spray cans. On revell models, you will need plastic model glue and on the side of the box, it should list the colors you need to finish the model.
If you want a good beginner model and insist on building an airplane with little investment, I recommend picking up a Pegasus Hobbies model. Pegasus has a good range of interesting planes and prices are usually around $10 for a 1/48 scale model. These are also snap-together optional meaning you can either snap them together or glue them. Pegasus planes are also accurate and build into nice models when they are done. I can't give much advice on painting other than trial/error and lots of practice.
These kits should be available at your local hobby shop or if you have a Hobbytown, they may have them.

Hope this helps..
Harry
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

Panzer_M

Post by Panzer_M » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:25 pm

I'd start with the Hobbyboss line of easy build A/C. Enough types to keep most happy with simplified construction, leaving the hard part is the paint.

As for tools..that's a long list. I have 2 shoe boxes of "tool"s bought and home made...plus multi-bins of misc stuff and I am always picking up a new set of clamps, tweezers, hobby blades and always on the lookout for good Brushes and painting tools.

www.cybermodeler.com is a good place to start for basic info(Kit reviews, paint tips etc)

http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/
http://www.hyperscale.com/
http://www.missing-lynx.com/ < mostly armour kit. but how tos and problem solving tips abound from the masters there, with posters like Brett Green, Tom Cockle and Steven Zaloga
good traders/sellers/buyers
Alloyskull(x2), PanzerArm(x2), Ostketten, Mikeg,tmanthegreat,Coreyeagle48

bigriver
Corporal
Corporal

Post by bigriver » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:12 pm

As panzer-m said I build 1/350 scale battleships with photo-etch and have to say when beggining out read up first on how to model, about the plane your building I have detailed books on every ship I build..helps alot on detail. keep it simple no camo schemes yet and get yourself a good clamp on magnified glass kit. If your commiting on building in such small scales its a must have. I use one all the time.
Mighty ships of war!

Ferrari250GTO
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Ferrari250GTO » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:24 pm

Thanks guys! :)
I could still use more help though, so you can keep adding onto this post.

Ferrari250GTO
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Ferrari250GTO » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:53 pm

Another model I'm interested in
AMT/Ertl 1/72 KC135

Ferrari250GTO
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Ferrari250GTO » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:33 am

Well, it looks like I will be starting out with some 1:48 Pegasus models. I will probably start with the Zero, since the paint doesn't seem too complicated. Then I will go to the Me/Bf 109 for a bit more complicated paint, but simple build.
I will probably buy two Me/Bf 109's for practice purposes.
Therefore, I would have practiced on 3 cheap models before I even think about starting more complex builds/paint jobs like the Revells.
Good idea?
Thanks

grockwood
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by grockwood » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:21 pm

Some other tools you may need include a pair of tweezers and some fine grade sanding paper.

Panzer_M

Post by Panzer_M » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:25 pm

Tip. Sanding paper glued to Popcicle sticks, cut to different lengths and widths.

Cheaper than buying pre-made sanding sticks from the Hobby, although I still buy the Buff and ultra-fine from squadron since I can't find those in sandpaper, although automotive types from 3M come close.

And when it comes to glue 1 isn't always the best for everything.

I have Loctite superglues, Tamiya Ultra thin Cement, Model Masters's Liquid Cement, Model Masters Clear parts cement(important if you're doing aircraft and don't want a clouded canopy, a few tubes of Crazy Glue.

Also primers are important. and more so WASHING the plastic before painting/building even to remove the release agent used to remove the sprues from the mould.

Another tool, I use used Insulin needles as pin-drop glue applicators for really small spaces, like tools on tanks, stuff on figures and little bits of detail in cockpits.

and I try to work on a surface mat, that makes the parts stand out, Black, Green or White depending on the color of the plastic. makes it easier to sort and find.
Last edited by Panzer_M on Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
good traders/sellers/buyers
Alloyskull(x2), PanzerArm(x2), Ostketten, Mikeg,tmanthegreat,Coreyeagle48

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:06 am

This is a really helpful thread.

The 21st Century models are about as cheap and simple as you can get by the looks of them. Plus bigger models mean less tediousness with very small parts. Then onto a more complex kit if I can get one cheap enough.

Since Revell Germany is making some cool German bombers, that will be the pinnacle of doing something really detailed for me, given all the cockpit parts of the JU-88 which I'll get eventually (anybody here built that yet and got pics?) then I want to get the HE-111 which will come out next fall hopefully.

There's a slew of single engines in 1/32 that have never been released in prebuilt I want to get, like some Hellcats, Lightnings, P-40E's, Typhoons, Avengers etc.

I can also test painting skills on extra prebuilt models I have if I want to go that route first like many of you guys here have done.
I'm pretty good with a spray gun, though I paint cars for a living (a lot bigger)
Just spent $443 yesterday on an Iwata HVLP 400 for clearcoats.
Got a couple of airbrushes too.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec