16 foot bridge

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
Winky
Corporal
Corporal

16 foot bridge

Post by Winky » Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:41 pm

Hi guys, long time no post. Some of you from the old Groundpounders site may remember I started building a rather large bridge for my WWII type battles about 1 1/2 years ago. I'm now, FINALLY, nearly done with the thing. All of the construction and most of the painting is complete, BUT I have a problem. I'm wondering how to separate opposing lanes on the bridge. In North America, solid double yellow lines do the trick. I'm not at all sure how opposing traffic was separated in 1940's europe, however. Anybody have any suggestions? This is really remote info, I know - any help would be appreciated.

Dick

CannonFodder1971
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonFodder1971 » Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:12 pm

I think a single solid white line would've been in use but I'm really not sure. (Before the days of motorways they used to have a single, solid white line to indicate two-way traffic, a single broken white line indicated that overtaking was possible, and a double white line with breaks on one or other side indicated which side had the right to overtake). Obviously modern markings have evolved considerably since the 1940s. I'd say that it'd be a single line of some sort but I'd hold off on the painting until I'd sight of aerial recon photos or Typhoon gun camera if I were you.

Winky
Corporal
Corporal

16 foot bridge

Post by Winky » Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:30 pm

Thanks, Cannonfodder, good suggestion. Lordy, I never thought to look in any of my WWII reference works!! What was I thinking?!!?? Anyway, been thru several now. Look as hard as I can, I can't find lane dividers. Many of the roads are cobblestone and quite narrow, so I suppose lane markings weren't needed. I would think a four lane roadway would have had to have lane dividers, but I happened to notice my own city street four lanes wide also has no dividers. Unless someone can instruct me otherwise, I'm just going to leave the asphalt roadway over the bridge unmarked.

Thanks again for your help.

Dick

KAMIKAZE
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by KAMIKAZE » Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:37 pm

Can't wait to see that bridge Winky. It sounds pretty cool.

Mark
I'm a legend in my own mind.

Darrell
Private First Class
Private First Class

a bridge too far

Post by Darrell » Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:54 am

hi Winky, haven't seen you around lately, I haven't been around either. I'm sure you have a copy of the movie "A Bridge Too Far." The movie was filmed on the actual bridge. There are several good pictures on the movie that might show the lines. I think that may help. I didn't check it myself, I know you would want to check it for your self anyway. Good luck. Darrell

Winky
Corporal
Corporal

16 foot bridge

Post by Winky » Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:45 pm

Guys, thanks for the input. I will absolutely look at the film. Didn't think of that either. Been thru tons of WWII books - and still no street markings. Have some pics of the Arnhem bridge and no marking I could see on the bridge surface either, but the pics were indistinct.

I should have pics of my bridge ready either this or next weekend, but I have no idea how to post pics to the board. If anybody has info, I'd appreciate it!

Dick

Darrell
Private First Class
Private First Class

the bridge

Post by Darrell » Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:32 am

Hi Winky, I bet you already tried this already, but I bet there is a museum in Arnhem, may even have a site, if they do, I bet they will know English also. I now I forget the power of the net, even after using it for years. good luck, its a project worth doing it right. Darrell

Darrell
Private First Class
Private First Class

bridge

Post by Darrell » Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:50 am

www.second-world-war.com/arnhem.htm - 76k

John Frostbrug Arnhem
The bridge across the river Rhine in Arnhem, (the Netherlands) was a place of
... died in attempting to free the Netherlands before the winter of 1944/45. ...
www.fairlight.nl/frostbrugeng.html - 9k - Cached - Similar pages
www.airborneshop.com/acatalog/ copy_of_Arnhem_Prints.html - 19k
www.curme.co.uk/arnhem.htm - 9k
www.airbornemuseum.org/ - 4k

VT Arnhem Forum
forum.virtualtourist.com/ discussion-140648-1-1-Travel-1-463321-Arnhem-discussion.html –

I found a lot of sites, finding what you need is a differant thing, as you have also found. The current bridge, the Forest Bridge has dashed lines. The prints don't show any lines. I was wondering on what date you were doing on your bridge. If you were planning after combat the dust, grime, smoke may cover it anyway. You got me thinking about this, thanks for the chance to help. Darrell