Difference in factory paint colors in a unit...

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
metalwar
Corporal
Corporal

Difference in factory paint colors in a unit...

Post by metalwar » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:18 am

I am repainting the 21st century SdKfz 7 that came with the camo scheme. I didn't really like the way it looked so I am painting it with just a base of Tamyia TS-3 (dark yellow. I was gong to add a Totenkopf decal so it could pull the camo 8.8 gun. The Tamyia is more yellow in appearance next to the gun. Would this be really unusual in the field with the same unit equipment?

grunt1
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by grunt1 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:25 am

I've noticed that as well with Tamiya dark yellow. The other thing that is interesting is that the color is different depending on whether you use the enamel or the acrylic paint. I did two of the same pieces, one with acrylic in an air brush the other with an enamel rattle can. They are different, not sure which one is better or more accurate. Given that the 88 and the sdkfz 7 would have come from different factories, slight variances in their base coat would probably be the norm.

grockwood
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by grockwood » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:28 pm

Shouldn't be a problem. Not only might the factory colors not match but the gun or the vehicle could have been exposed to sunlight for different amounts of time. Newly replaced equipment would be less faded then older equipment