Does anyone remember ...

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
Foxhole Toys
Sergeant
Sergeant

Does anyone remember ...

Post by Foxhole Toys » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:06 pm

and can anyone help me out with the name, photos and manufacturer for this description?

As a boy I got for Christmas (late-1970's) a WW2 Pacific theater playset.

It came with a Pacific island playmat (cardbord or paper), Airfix HO/00 scale Japanese & US figures, 2 x PT Boats with removable torpedos, 2 x B-17 bombers, 2 x subs that fired the torpedos from the PT's and were spring-loaded. There may have been battleships included as well. Each aircraft and ship were colored in opposing blue and green so one side was all blue and the other all green (no Japanese armaments).

Does this set sound familiar to anyone??? I could sure use the help and all leads are greatly appreciated. For the life of me I cannot remember who made it. I think my sister found it at a department store called JAFCO or maybe she got it at a SEARS/ JC Penny.

Thanks!
Foxhole Toys ..."Dive in!"
www.FoxholeToys.com

scwarlord
Corporal
Corporal

Playset Inquiry

Post by scwarlord » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:14 pm

Your playset actually sounds like a game my neighbor had in the late 70s.
I don't remember the figures, but the large gameboard, the subs, bombers, and the battleships were all in the game. The spring-loaded subs and PT-boats could shoot missiles that broke-up the battleships.

I think it was a Milton Bradley game. It was fun because we never actually learned the rules, just spent time sinking the battleships.

Foxhole Toys
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Foxhole Toys » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:41 pm

No game pieces in this set and no board. The PT boats, subs and ships were obviously not to scale.

The PTs & subs were approximately 6-7 inches long and the B-17 may have been true HO/00. For some reason I'm thinking there may not have been any battleships after all.
www.FoxholeToys.com

cruizin2000
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by cruizin2000 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:09 am

I remember those sets. I had the D-Day invasion set and got it from Children's Palace. It's been quite a while but if I remember correctly, my set had the 2 tan 1/72'ish scale B-17s that had retractable landing gear and green "camo" stickers, Airfix US soldiers for both sides, 2 green P-51s, 2 silver Stukas, a PT boat, a sub that fired a torpedo, a destroyer that shot a shell from the front turret, and a tanker. It came in a box that had a newspaper front page with headlines about D-Day.

I also had a smaller set that had a card board island, the same US Airfix troops, one of each of the four ships, and some smaller out of scale tanks that look like tanks that come with grocery store playsets.

Most of that stuff is at my folk's house but I might have a B-17 here. If I can locate it, I'll post a pic. I'm sorry but I cannot remember the name of the company.

BTW, Children's Palace was one of the best toy stores that Columbus ever had - they had a whole aisle devoted to army sets. What a treat it was to have a large selection of Marx playsets!!

C2000
Attack!!!!

scwarlord
Corporal
Corporal

Playset Search

Post by scwarlord » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:03 pm

OK, ignore my previous post. Try this playset from HG Toys:

http://www.plaidstallions.com/hgtoys/playset.html

I also shopped at Children's Palace. I used to buy all of my 12" Marx Best of the West figures there. Yet the coolest "real" toy store in Columbus was Kiddie Korner in Graceland and Kingsdale shopping centers. I would save up my allowance and mowing money to buy the Britain Deetail soldiers.

Foxhole Toys
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Foxhole Toys » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:15 pm

Thank you scwarlord & cruizin2000! HG must have been the manufacturer. I remember having a fold-out paper card Island and the Airfix copy figures. If you can cruizin2000, I would love to see a pic of the B-17 and ANY other items you can still find!!!

Cheers mate! :D
www.FoxholeToys.com