FOV stug 3

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
GI546
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

FOV stug 3

Post by GI546 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:01 am

i have a question about the FOV stug III. in the back platform of the tank there is a piece that looks like a trailer hitch or something. does anyone know what its for and can you really attach something to it?

thx

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by krieglok » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:21 pm

Do you mean hook located on the rear of the top deck, between the spare wheels? I dont know if the move the tank by hooking up there as there are the normal heavy eyelets on the lower hull. It may be a lift lug for removing the deck plate...

TJ

Hanomag
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Hanomag » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:28 pm

Both the allies and axis put odd devices on their equipment to cause confusion in both the enemy's intelligence and enthusiasts 60 years later.

-H

GI546
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by GI546 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:41 pm

[quote="krieglok"]Do you mean hook located on the rear of the top deck, between the spare wheels? I dont know if the move the tank by hooking up there as there are the normal heavy eyelets on the lower hull. It may be a lift lug for removing the deck plate...

TJ[/quote]

yes, thats what i'm talking about

Both the allies and axis put odd devices on their equipment to cause confusion in both the enemy's intelligence and enthusiasts 60 years later.

LOL :D

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

`

Post by krieglok » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:18 pm

I did some quick photographic research and I found photos of early PZKW IIIs (G versions and later) with the same hook on the rear deck. In the photos where the tank is equipped with a tow cable, the hook is a tie down point for the cable. Some pictures show the cable, fastened in the hook just below the cable eye (thimble) and some show the cable, somewhere in the middle of it`s length set in the hook. I would imagine there was a "handbook way" to secure a tow cable, but many techniques were used. Hope this helps.

TJ

Panzer_M
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: `

Post by Panzer_M » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:21 am

krieglok wrote:I did some quick photographic research and I found photos of early PZKW IIIs (G versions and later) with the same hook on the rear deck. In the photos where the tank is equipped with a tow cable, the hook is a tie down point for the cable. Some pictures show the cable, fastened in the hook just below the cable eye (thimble) and some show the cable, somewhere in the middle of it`s length set in the hook. I would imagine there was a "handbook way" to secure a tow cable, but many techniques were used. Hope this helps.

TJ

I take it that is the hook you are talking about, yes it's a tie-down, something on both the StuG III and Panzer III rear hulls.
good traders/sellers/buyers
Alloyskull(x2), PanzerArm(x2), Ostketten, Mikeg,tmanthegreat,Coreyeagle48

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by krieglok » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:14 am

Yes, that is the hook betwwen the road wheels.

Now, what were you doing in my garage? (I wish)

Is that the Littlefield facility or someplace else?

TJ

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:15 pm

Man I love Stugs! I'd love to drive one of those out of my garage every morning. :twisted:
This message brought to you in part by Adderall.

dfoos
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by dfoos » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:33 pm

Rowsdower wrote:Man I love Stugs! I'd love to drive one of those out of my garage every morning. :twisted:
You drive and I'll man the gun!!

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:36 pm

dfoos wrote:
Rowsdower wrote:Man I love Stugs! I'd love to drive one of those out of my garage every morning. :twisted:
You drive and I'll man the gun!!
Ok, but we switch every 20 minutes! :lol: :lol:
This message brought to you in part by Adderall.

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:49 pm

Is that the Littlefield facility or someplace else?
I haven't checked in a while, but it sure looks like Littlefield. I heard he (Jacques) died recently, earlier this year IIRC, I wonder what will happen to the collection...?? It is/was one the finest and best preserved collections anywhere, and all privately owned and operated to the best of my knowledge.
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by krieglok » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:33 am

Yes he passed away about six months ago. He left arrangements and a foundation that will keep his collection at the same place and intact. It sounded pretty specific so hopefully the collection will be safe for a long time to come.

TJ