Forces of valor quality?

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
vaindioux
Corporal
Corporal

Forces of valor quality?

Post by vaindioux » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:10 am

Hi

I have been building all sort of models off and on since I was 6 or 7 Y.O., I am 42 now.
I am not a picky builder. I build out of box (No P.E. or resin parts purchased) and usually build cheaper models released in the 80's and early 90's as modeler dump them for newer releases.
I recently started buying some pre-built 1/32 armor and have 9 of them.
8 are 21 st century and 1 from forces of valor.
The 21 st century are all really fantastic models and gotten cheap too. The forces of valor I have is great too, it's the lav-25.
I dropped at K-mart yesterday and was slightly horrified at some of the 1/32 forces of valor armor models.
They had a tiger, a M3 and a M109 that I found all to be very toyish.
A M270 that was fair and a Stug III which was nice.
Then I went to target and bought a FOV 1/72 Blackhawk helicopter which is nice but when I looked at FOV 1/72 armor it doesn't even come close to the 6 Dragon I own (And I won't even mention 1/32 bravo team, Target should be ashamed to sell these as "Target exclusive" like they got something really special.)
The FOV 1/72 armor where dioramas, I think they had a sherman, a tiger and a hanomag. The sherman looked like they took it and dropped it in the bucket of paint and left it to dry and then packed it.
If 21st century is out, I might just stop collecting 1/32 armor and focus on 1/72 armor.
Dragon pre-built 1/35 line is fantastic but out of my pocket book.
So can anyone confirm that 21st century (R.I.P?) had better quality overall than forces of valor, or is it just me?

Thanks to all

Patrick

ostketten
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by ostketten » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:59 am

The quality of FOV 1/32 & 1/72 scale models can vary quite a bit depending on which series you buy, Action or Enthusiast, and there's even some considerable variation within these individual series. Generally speaking, you are going to find the Action grade models sold at places like Kmart and Target have little if any weathering on them, but the good news is they are cheaper, and if you are willing and able to do some weathering yourself, they represent a pretty good value in my opinion. Comparing Dragon and FOV is really not a fair comparison, and if you use that as your yardstick you'll never be happy with anything from FOV. OTOH, if you're willing to do a little work in order to save a few bucks, FOV can sometimes be a viable alternative.
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:35 pm

VAINDIOUX:

A dealer told me he was dropping FOV a month ago because of rising prices and dropping quality.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:50 pm

I would generally think that FOV has pretty good quality on their armor pieces, particularly for the Enthusiast grade. Vehicles made between 2003 and 2007 tend to be pretty nice with lots of detailing, weathering, and accessories. I actually prefer them to what 21c turned out. Some of the newer items, like the Deuce and a half and the Elefant are still good, but have much less diecast metal, weathering, and accessories and are not much different from their Actioin grade counterparts, despite costing $60.

As Ostketten said, the Action grade vehicles do not have the weathering and may look rather terrible in some respects, but that can be easily fixed with a little paint. Those vehicles are identical in construction to the Enthusiast series vehicles as well. Further, the Action grade vehicles are far superior in value for what you get than their new Bravo Team incarnations. Just compare, say, the Bravo Team M109 Paladin to the FOV action grade vehicle, and the differences become all too aparent :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

MG-42

* FoV quality ?

Post by MG-42 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:18 pm

......... from diecast to plastic. ... All "new" for '09 .

Mitch v MG
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

Rowsdower

Re: * FoV quality ?

Post by Rowsdower » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:35 pm

MG-42 wrote:......... from diecast to plastic. ... All "new" for '09 .

Mitch v MG
Sandbox safe Strykers! Grape jelly stain-proof Paladins! Get yours today kiddies! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :evil: :evil: :evil:
This message brought to you in part by Adderall.

skypirate
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Re: Forces of valor quality?

Post by skypirate » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:49 pm

vaindioux wrote:The FOV 1/72 armor where dioramas, I think they had a sherman, a tiger and a hanomag. The sherman looked like they took it and dropped it in the bucket of paint and left it to dry and then packed it.
If 21st century is out, I might just stop collecting 1/32 armor and focus on 1/72 armor.
Dragon pre-built 1/35 line is fantastic but out of my pocket book.
So can anyone confirm that 21st century (R.I.P?) had better quality overall than forces of valor, or is it just me?
I agree.

NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Re: * FoV quality ?

Post by NWarty » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:06 pm

Rowsdower wrote:
MG-42 wrote:......... from diecast to plastic. ... All "new" for '09 .

Mitch v MG
Sandbox safe Strykers! Grape jelly stain-proof Paladins! Get yours today kiddies! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :evil: :evil: :evil:
What I wouldn't give for a nicely detailed Paladin. The M109A6, not the A3 or A5 which is in their current lineup.

I commanded a Paladin Battery from 03-05. Still disappointed we haven't seen one except for Italeri's 1/35, which is funny because the bumper number A16, 1-37 FA, is one of my buddy's guns. I was in Bravo Battery at the time. The gun markings are accurate for 1998. In late 1999, we went to "chevron" type markings on the hull sides and rear bustle rack.

ltcbj

Post by ltcbj » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:17 am

In my opinion the FoV tend to be overrated, or at least overrate themselves. They have superior details, which are all too often wrong, and are far more fragile than the 21stC equivalents. This latter is truly odd given their being die-cast versus the 21C's plastic-cast.....

They are also packed at the factory with less attention to care than one would expect when paying ~$30/each for them.

Both are easy to repaint though, which is a plus. I generally prefer 21C simply because they pack and play better (fewer breakables on 21C). The ability to remove the turret on most of the 21C offerings allows for easier storage as well.

I have three FoV LAV-25s and found this particular model to be one of my biggest disappointments of the FoV lineup.

And yes. I totally agree that "Bravo Team" is an 0bamanation that doesn't deserve shelf space in any self respecting model shop or toy store. Thank heavens it's a Target exclusive so I am not accosted by them in the stores I frequent.
"The only constant is change. Often short change. Learn to accept.": Noah Vaile www.dinosaur-toys-collectors-guide.com
[img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c315/photbug/image6.jpg[/img]
On your mark! Get set! Lunch....
Want your own website? PM me!

olifant

Post by olifant » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:26 pm

FOV isn't what they used to be but pick up a PZ IV D, Challenger, T-34 or Pershing and tell me 21C makes better armor. I double dog dare you! :P
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=375&i=sshqvdjx0.jpg][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.937d18e174.jpg[/img][/url]

ltcbj

Post by ltcbj » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:52 am

21C makes toys and has/had no pretensions otherwise. FoV claims that it makes miniature scale replicas, and it does not. It makes very nice models that I consider to be in a class with most build-it kits.
"The only constant is change. Often short change. Learn to accept.": Noah Vaile www.dinosaur-toys-collectors-guide.com

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:12 pm

I've been thinking of branching off into 1/72 a little more heavily, just because of the selection and diversity of aircraft and armor.

I like the fact that for such an inexpensive line you get moving treads, turrets and hatches on the FOV armor line as well as pretty good detail for the price of 1/72 IMO.

The planes were good for the price, nothing spectacular, but you would have to pay a lot more for some that were only marginally better.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:59 pm

Dauntless wrote:The planes were good for the price, nothing spectacular, but you would have to pay a lot more for some that were only marginally better.
Easy Model 1:72 aircraft blow FOV 1:72 out of the water detail wise and are in the same price range. The only possible downside might be the fixed-extended gear and the fact that they are plastic instead of die-cast which I could really care less about. Not to mention they cover a wide range of aircraft with an assortment of paint schemes per aircraft.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:43 am

Yes Easy Model is pretty good. I bought the Mig 3 at Hobby Lobby, just because, well it was an unavailable anywhere else in 1/72 Mig 3. :)

Do they have any other unusual aircraft?

skypirate
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by skypirate » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:48 am

Rowsdower wrote:Easy Model 1:72 aircraft blow FOV 1:72 out of the water detail wise and are in the same price range. The only possible downside might be the fixed-extended gear and the fact that they are plastic instead of die-cast which I could really care less about. Not to mention they cover a wide range of aircraft with an assortment of paint schemes per aircraft.
And their descriptions on the back of the box can be very entertaining/amusing/confusing at times.

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:03 pm

skypirate wrote: And their descriptions on the back of the box can be very entertaining/amusing/confusing at times.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Yes, especially on armor. :roll: :lol:
Dauntless wrote:Yes Easy Model is pretty good. I bought the Mig 3 at Hobby Lobby, just because, well it was an unavailable anywhere else in 1/72 Mig 3. :)

Do they have any other unusual aircraft?
They have a Komet, the Volksjager Salamander, a French fighter or two you rarely see. I also saw a captured Zero as tested by the US in natual aluminum finish with large US markings that was pretty cool.

They also have a line of 1:72 choppers which are nice as well.

vaindioux
Corporal
Corporal

MRC easy model

Post by vaindioux » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:57 pm

Hi

You can check all their products here:

http://www.modelrectifier.com/index.asp

(Click on "All brands" at the top and then select "Easy model".)

I highly support MRC "Easy model" as they offer interesting models at great prices.

Patrick

ltcbj

Post by ltcbj » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:15 am

Can the landing gear be re-engineered to go back up?

I have had some luck with Corgi in doing that.

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:42 am

ltcbj wrote:Can the landing gear be re-engineered to go back up?

I've thought about doing that myself. If you could get all the parts off without cracking anything then it should be possible with some aircraft. Depends on the gear type I would imagine.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:15 am

Just bought the Easy Model Typhoon at Hobby Lobby yesterday.

I only see a few aircraft that I want in this line, with some repaints.
Like to get the Yak-3 and Mig-3 (Moskow Defence) and couple others, maybe a Wildcat and tropical Hurricane, French Fighters (Dewoitine is it?) Everything else is quite common in 1:72
I like the detail on these though.

I thought I saw a 1:72 Judy floatplane, but I don't know who makes it. Now that's unusual.

ltcbj

Post by ltcbj » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:02 am

Rowsdower wrote:
ltcbj wrote:Can the landing gear be re-engineered to go back up?

I've thought about doing that myself. If you could get all the parts off without cracking anything then it should be possible with some aircraft. Depends on the gear type I would imagine.
It requires a lot of razor work and some filler. Takes a while and one mis-slice or whatever and it is pretty much done for.

I like the 1/48 21C a/c for their snap together choices in gear. and their size. I wish they came with pilots. Not much point in having the gear up in a plane without a pilot, yes? I black-out the cockpit.

corpbob
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by corpbob » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:59 am

Yes, FOV's inconsistant quality (or lately consistant poor quality) will eventually put them in the same sinking boat as 21st Century.

I have an early FOV enthusiast StuG III that is a work of art, as is my early Tiger II and PZ IV. And everytime I look at the Pershing I think,"Now that's NICE!" But then there's the evil side of FOV. A poorly shaped T34/85 turret, Shermans and Halftracks that they never could get OD green (but no problem with an M3 Lee?), butchering the suspension system on an otherwise good Tiger I. And then there is the mysterious reason why they could do a fairly good job on their tank crewman, yet continuously screw up their Popeye-like infantry (which is why I haven't bought a single one). It looks like they did a good job on their 2 1/2 ton truck, but at $70? Choose CAREFULLY and you can still build a nice collection without going broke, but the days of wine and roses are over in our hobby.

ltcbj

Post by ltcbj » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:01 am

Not over. Just in abeyance.

jkinzel

Post by jkinzel » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:29 pm

ltcbj wrote:
Rowsdower wrote:I've thought about doing that myself. If you could get all the parts off without cracking anything then it should be possible with some aircraft. Depends on the gear type I would imagine.
It requires a lot of razor work and some filler. Takes a while and one mis-slice or whatever and it is pretty much done for.

I like the 1/48 21C a/c for their snap together choices in gear. and their size. I wish they came with pilots. Not much point in having the gear up in a plane without a pilot, yes? I black-out the cockpit.
Yeah no pilot in cockpit no buy

ltcbj

Post by ltcbj » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:31 am

That was how I felt for a long time. But then I decided to just black out the interior of the cockpit "glass" (kind of like tinting the windows of your hopped up Mustang) and they look fine.