What war still needs to be covered?

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.

Which war do you want to see covered by 21st/FOV?

WWI/Great War
44%
Korea
25%
Vietnam
11%
Afghanistan/Iraq (Desert Storm incl. )
6%
other???
14%

Total votes: 36

Col.Pickle
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

What war still needs to be covered?

Post by Col.Pickle » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:01 pm

In my last poll/topic Ruger suggested moving on to wars besides WWII. Vote for which modern war you think should be made in toys!!!
"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."
- General Patton

Sabrefan
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Sabrefan » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:19 pm

I want a Korean war F-51D Mustang to go with my F-86s.
Paul Hebert

It's been a long road, but I am still in the game. :)

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:22 pm

I'm gonna say Vietnam.
There's just so many helicopters, Jets, some propeller driven planes that can be done.

Then they can re-use some of it for Desert Storm etc. like the Intruder, Phantom (wild weasel) Warthog.
The Boeing Chinook that flew in Nam is still being used in Afganistan and Iraq.

Not so much the armor though, but some I think was used in Korea.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:28 pm

I say Korea because it was such a transition time for the air force. The jet age was still new, and they were still using WW2 planes like Mustangs and Corsairs.
Paul Hebert

It's been a long road, but I am still in the game. :)

rose4472g
Corporal
Corporal

Arab-Isreali conflicts

Post by rose4472g » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:36 am

Shermans and T-34 in '56, all kinds of neat weird stuff in '56, etc. '67, etc '73, Merkavas and T-72s. T-55's, T-62's, BMPs, BTRs, M113s, Halftracks (with ATGMs!), Supershermans, Ishermans, M48s, M60s, Centurians, Super Mysteres, MIGs, Mirages, Kefirs, A-4s, F-4s, and coolest of all Jeeps with recoiless rifles. All to cool.

David

Der Kommandant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Der Kommandant » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:03 am

How about the Israeli Wars in the Middle East? Historicaly, these conflicts involved important tank battles, as well as the involvement of multiple air forces.

olifant

Post by olifant » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:22 am

I will say Vietnam if only for the AC this period could provide. WW I would make great 1/18 figures but I am not too interested in 1/32; the few tanks used are represented in 1/32 already. Korea really saw little changes in equipment except for the early jets. If that is what we are after Vietnam is the period to use. I would rather see the century fighters than a Panther, and I think they would sell better. FOV has done a good job on 1/32 modern releases so there isn't much there except AC and figures.

Just my $.02.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=375&i=sshqvdjx0.jpg][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.937d18e174.jpg[/img][/url]

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:01 pm

Korea.
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

binder001
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Korea...

Post by binder001 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:25 pm

The war is less known, but a lot of the stuff could be used for late WW2 as well. FoV did the M26 but they could add the M4A3E8 and the M46 as well as the British Centurion. Their T34/85 could be used for one from NKPA and a SU76 could be added. Lots of US SP artillery as well as regular guns.

Gary

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:28 pm

World War I is what demands the greatest need for coverage, in both 1/32 and 1/18. There are plenty of 1:48 scale WWI planes, but nothing in a larger scale outside of model kits.

I would rate Vietnam & Korea a close second. However, when one thinks about it, we are not entirely left in the dark considering the 1950s and 1960s. After all, we do have the 1/32 F-4 Phantom (and potentially the 1/32 F-104) from BBI, the 1/32 M-113, M-24, and M-41 vehicles from 21c, as well as the M-60 and M-26 Pershing from FOV. In some respects, those offerings cover the Korean/Vietnam eras quite well.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Ruger
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Ruger » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:33 pm

Ah crap.

You called me on it. Now I have to put my money where my mouth is and pick one particular era. For the record, it's really quite a bit easier to complain about the fixation on one era than it is to pick amongst the others...

I pick the modern era. From the tail of the Cold War to toady, so... Maybe from 1990 to present?

WWI certainly has history in it's favor. Whether as the birthplace and/or debut of most of our military technologies, or on the larger geo-political scale. But the truth is, I collect military vehicles for the sake of the vehicles. If it was history I was after, I'd collect books or maps. And along those lines, I'll have to go ahead and offer up my less-than-popular opinion, WWI vehicles sucked. The tank wasn't really figured out yet, and the rest of the ground vehicles were in about the same state, a collection cars and trucks that the minds of the time were trying to figure out how to use the best. The aircraft have some appeal in a nostalgic sense, but when the highlights of propeller driven craft come to mind, not much from WWI shows up. WWII had all the good ones, and they've been done just about to death. There might be some ships, but then, they're not practical in 1:32.

Korea I like in theory, but the reality is that other than a few jets, it's mostly recycled WWII stuff. The Jeeps and tanks were pretty much the same, which would make it easy for manufacturers to do, so I suppose that's a plus. Also, a M.A.S.H. style helicopter would be good.

Vietnam. The jets. The helicopters. This one's about the airpower. Hueys and Cobras, more F-4's and the century jets. On the ground of course a M-113, FOV could come up with a M-60 without the E.R.A. (which wouldn't hurt my feelings at all), a M-42 from the 21st M-41 would be cool. Jeeps and M.U.T.T.s also. T-54/T-55, this one could last all the way through to today. A PT-76 would travel well alongside...

And that brings us up to date so to speak, to the modern era. The teen series of jets, and Soviet jets in the twenties. Someone needs to do a Blackhawk, but the same Cobras and Huey will work quite nicely. A Hind would be great. M1's, Leopard 2's, T-72's, T-80's, T-90's, as well as the T-55 from earlier. M-113's in variant after variant. Five ton trucks... As mentioned, FOV has a pretty good start in this arena, but there's no reason 21st couldn't jump in. Their M-113 mold could be reproducing variants at a rapid rate, raising some capitol for other projects (T-55, T-55, T-55...). Actually, many of the vehicles used today are of older designs that could be repainted for all sorts of worldwide conflicts... Israel vs. Arab, Soviets vs. Afgani, Cold War Europe, Bosnia, Panama... Lots of options for the right pieces.

Hmmmm... What about a line of Israeli upgrades of WWII items? Halftracks and Shermans? This could be another way to reuse existing molds...

Now the ideas are flowing. What I really need are some T-55's! And maybe a T-72 that's not all beat to pieces (are you listening FOV?). And more M-113's!

Well that's a little of my line of thinking... I'd go on, but I need to go make dinner. And maybe an Israeli halftrack...

MV
"When I went into Kuwait I had 39 tanks, after six weeks of air bombardment, I had 32 left. After 20 minutes in action against the M1's, I had none." Iraqi BN Cdr, 1991
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/CanteenX/Blowing-Smoke-sig.jpg[/img]

binder001
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by binder001 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:52 am

Ruger wrote: Korea I like in theory, but the reality is that other than a few jets, it's mostly recycled WWII stuff. The Jeeps and tanks were pretty much the same, which would make it easy for manufacturers to do, so I suppose that's a plus. Also, a M.A.S.H. style helicopter would be good.

UNFORTUNATELY we don't have the RIGHT WW2 stuff to recycle. The M4A3E8 has never been done in 1/32. FoV's M26 is fine but is currently unavailable. The could re-engineer it into the M46. FoV's T34/85 is close. We don't have any late British armor in 1/32nd. 21C DID have the M24. FoV has the US 105mm howitzer, but we could use an M40 SP "Long Tom", the M41 SP 155mm howitzer, or the towed 155 howitzer. So lot's of room for additions. I'm a tank/figure guy so I don't care about the planes, but don't forget the Navy Skyraiders, the Panther jets, the B26 Invader and the F82 Twin Mustang.

Vietnam. The jets. The helicopters. This one's about the airpower. Hueys and Cobras, more F-4's and the century jets. On the ground of course a M-113, FOV could come up with a M-60 without the E.R.A. (which wouldn't hurt my feelings at all), a M-42 from the 21st M-41 would be cool. Jeeps and M.U.T.T.s also. T-54/T-55, this one could last all the way through to today. A PT-76 would travel well alongside...

PROBLEM: you need an M48A3 for Viet Nam, all the M60 series gun tanks went to Germany or stayed in CONUS. The ONLY M60 types to go to RVN were the AVLB and the M728 Combat Engineer Vehicle. 21C DID have a short run of M113 ACAVs and DID do some M41s (for ARVN only - not US forces). M42 is interesting. The classic M35 series 2 1/2 ton 6X6 would be good for various eras from Viet Nam to today (with modifications). Again, the a/c just don't do it for me.

Hmmmm... What about a line of Israeli upgrades of WWII items? Halftracks and Shermans? This could be another way to reuse existing molds...

AGAIN you only have the halftracks available. The Shermans currently available aren't really the ones for most Israeli upgrades. They would need almost complete re-tooling to be M50s, let alone M51s.

MV

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:16 pm

If you did Vietnam, you could still get a Russian T-34/85, as they were provided to North Vietnam, and were put in to service. http://www.themotorpool.net/ProductDeta ... de=EM36274

They also had an anti-aircraft version with a Chinese 37mm turret on it.

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:37 pm

If were gonna do Nam' then let's have something that hasn't already been made in 32X, say for example an M551 Sheridan. Why would anyone want another T-34/85... just so we can have one with an NVA star on the turret...?? No thanks, I'll pass.
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:59 am

Yeah, I forgot we are in the 1:32 forum. :oops:

No T-34's in 1:18 yet but...

Anyways here's a pic of the anti-aircraft one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Type_ ... -07905.jpg

ketelone

Post by ketelone » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:29 am

I would like new additions from virtually any of the conflicts, but I voted for Afghanistan/Iraq. You'll recall 21st had a few vehicles in 1/18. I assumed they'd come out with some 1/32.
I'm surprized 21st didn't release quite a few vehicles and planes in 1/32 that were produced in 1/18..... 3/4 ton truck, Jeeps, F104, Hummers, etc.
Ketelone

"Freedom is not free."

luftpanzer

Post by luftpanzer » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:58 am

Well you can forget about 21st C doing modern vehicles any time soon. I offered them pics of my RG31 MRAP in hopes of them producing a model and this is what they said---

Dear Ed,
In all honesty, 21st Century Toys probably would not take a chance on a new, modern vehicle. We keep thing pretty conservative (like the M4 Sherman).

Michael
Back At ft campbell KY Formally of Ocala FL

rose4472g
Corporal
Corporal

Post war T-34s

Post by rose4472g » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:03 pm

IIRC during the fifties the Soviet's stock of T-34/85s were rebuilt for export. They would have noticible detail differences from wartime T-34s. IIRCA they replaced the roadwheels with those from the T-55. Acurrate modells of WWII vehicals in the mid-east would usually require conciderable modifications.
David