Allow me to compare......

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
P39time
Sergeant
Sergeant

Allow me to compare......

Post by P39time » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:26 pm

I got three models today in the mail, from three different makers.

FOV P-39
BBI SBD Dauntless
21st Century P-51D

First off, the FOV P-39 is a nice model. I got the "Devistating Devil" version, and it does have some kind of strange weathering to it. And it had one glue stain with a slight fingerprint I was able to remove. The model is mounted with screws in the box, and the plastic base the model rests on took off some of the paint on the rear fuselage. Also, one of the cockpit doors does not close all the way, but I think I can fix that also. All in all a nice model.
Next I took out the 21st Century P-51D. This model could use some more quality control. The front part of the canopy has a big gap on one side, but I can't fix it because it is glued in. Also on the other side of the canopy someone tried to do some touch up work with a brush, and that looks really bad. One of the landing gear struts has a big glue glob, but I don't see what they were trying to glue. On the rudder is a huge fingerprint mark that really takes from the model. I don't want to look at it to much closer as I am not sure what I will find wrong with it. :(
Now this model made my day.....the BBI SBD Dauntless. It is just about perfect, almost in a league of its own. The plane is well made, the paint perfect, the prop spins so freely, and it goes right together. It has the classic BBI pilots which look so good in the bird. This is in my opinion the finest WW2 32nd scale warbird I have seen so far. It is just a beauty.
Here are how my grades for these planes:

FOV P-39 B+
21st Century P-51D C-
BBI SBD Dauntless A++++++
Jarod

P39time
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by P39time » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:09 pm

I bought the P-39 for a friend of mine, and after comparing mine to his they are really both well done. :D
Jarod

gary1930
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by gary1930 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:35 pm

Thanks, Jarod.
I wish more people would offer such opinions.

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:04 pm

I agree with you on your reviews. I have the S1 version of the FOV P-39. It is by far their best 1/32 aircraft. While the S1 version was known for examples that had major QC defects, mine is perfect :wink:

My 21c P-51Ds sort of vary. The most perfect example is the RAF plane; actually it is one of my most flawless 21c 32x planes period. My "Mrs Bonnie" P-51 is pretty good, with some fudging on the stripes. The "Double Nuthin" plane is actually pretty good compared to the horror stories I've heard. I like that scheme the best, but if I wanted to get picky, I'd point out that some of the checkers do not quite line up and that there is some discoloration on the canopy framing....

The BBI Dauntless is by far the best, however. I seldom have to worry about QC control and BBI products.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Panzer_M

Post by Panzer_M » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:53 pm

I'd like to see Bbi make a 1:32 Ju 87D-3/5
good traders/sellers/buyers
Alloyskull(x2), PanzerArm(x2), Ostketten, Mikeg,tmanthegreat,Coreyeagle48

AlloySkull

Post by AlloySkull » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:47 pm

That would be nice! Definately something I would go crazy over, I love Stukas.
[img]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j317/alloyskull101/siggygpxd-1.gif[/img]
Good Traders:
KAMIKAZE
Ruger
Olifant
Panzer M

AMERICAN_GRENADIER

Post by AMERICAN_GRENADIER » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:43 pm

AGREED!!!!
"SEMPER FIDELIS!"
Good Traders: Buckyroo, Razor17019, Sentinel
exether_mega, Snake, thehun, Mesa

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:17 pm

Yes, the BBI Dauntless is nice. Mine is just about perfect also. It looks great on my shelf. :D
Paul Hebert

It's been a long road, but I am still in the game. :)

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:43 pm

Yeah, a Stuka with tank buster cannons if that's what you're talkin about.

Got my Dauntless hanging up being chased by a 21st Century Zero. Though the pilot is slumped halfway out of his cockpit, cause the gunner shot him.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

AMERICAN_GRENADIER

Post by AMERICAN_GRENADIER » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:45 am

Dauntless wrote:Yeah, a Stuka with tank buster cannons if that's what you're talkin about.

Got my Dauntless hanging up being chased by a 21st Century Zero. Though the pilot is slumped halfway out of his cockpit, cause the gunner shot him.
YES!!Tank buster thats the tickect! Rudel flew one to the end of the war.Very cool plane! it would be an easy conversion for 21C. just do a repaint and add the guns!
"SEMPER FIDELIS!"
Good Traders: Buckyroo, Razor17019, Sentinel
exether_mega, Snake, thehun, Mesa

hotrodrock
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by hotrodrock » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:40 am

gary1930 wrote:Thanks, Jarod.
I wish more people would offer such opinions.
I have offered opinions several times in the past on comparisons and have generally gotten blasted every time (mostly over in the 1/18 forum) by being told I can't compare items that have a big price difference. That said, I totally agree with the grades given and wouldn't expect any different considering the price differences between the three.

For a 21st plane that I have seen on clearance for $10, I would certainly hope to get one with good QC, but for that price I'm not going to be shocked if it has a finger print in the paint. If i'm paying $60 bucks for a plane in the same scale, I would certainly have much higher QC expectations.

AlloySkull

Post by AlloySkull » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:56 am

AMERICAN_GRENADIER wrote: it would be an easy conversion for 21C. just do a repaint and add the guns!
Unfortunately, it's not so easy. The Ju-87D tankbuster is actually a different fuselage and canopy than the B model. It has a completely different cowling, different landing gear struts and other modifications to the wings and body. The canopy is also different, it slopes downward towards the tail. If I recall correctly the rear gunner has a different machine gun as well, but don't quote me on that.

Although I could just as easily go for a B model with the cannons under the wings, wouldn't bother me really. Mainly because I'd be distracted by the awesomness of the HUGE cannons. :D
[img]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j317/alloyskull101/siggygpxd-1.gif[/img]
Good Traders:
KAMIKAZE
Ruger
Olifant
Panzer M

vmf214

Post by vmf214 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:04 pm

Flip over to the customs section and look at ph's conversion kit for a D to see exactly the differences.. :D

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:17 pm

vmf214 wrote:Flip over to the customs section and look at ph's conversion kit for a D to see exactly the differences.. :D
Saw that, and your Rufe. Amazing work.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec