New FOV 1:72 t-34

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
demonclaw
Sergeant
Sergeant

New FOV 1:72 t-34

Post by demonclaw » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:17 pm

Well the new FOV T-34 have finally showed up on ebay , but I'm kind of disappointed that they didn't replace that weird welded turret with a ordinary one . Do anyone know the story behind that turret ?

Last edited by demonclaw on Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:41 pm

I think it is supposed to be the normal turret, just that FOV used two pieces of plastic instead of one, resulting in that sloppy seam. These are toys, after all :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

demonclaw
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by demonclaw » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:15 pm

tmanthegreat wrote:I think it is supposed to be the normal turret, just that FOV used two pieces of plastic instead of one, resulting in that sloppy seam. These are toys, after all :wink:
No I meant the rough welded surface , I've never seen a t-34 turret like that in any picture or reference book

dfoos
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by dfoos » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:39 pm

It's supposed to be cast. Cast turrets did have some rough texture compared to the rest of the tank, but they went overboard on these.

demonclaw
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by demonclaw » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:28 am

dfoos wrote:It's supposed to be cast. Cast turrets did have some rough texture compared to the rest of the tank, but they went overboard on these.
ok , I know what a cast turret is but since they went overboard as you wrote I thought it was some kind some special turret

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:56 pm

What's wrong with its texture? Plenty of t-34s had that extremely rough texture.

demonclaw
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by demonclaw » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:26 am

GooglyDoogly wrote:What's wrong with its texture? Plenty of t-34s had that extremely rough texture.
I've never seen a picture of that , Unimax just went to far when they made this turret like dfoos wrote

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:37 pm

Not really.

demonclaw
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by demonclaw » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:03 am

GooglyDoogly wrote:Not really.

yeah the FOV t-34 looks exactly like that :roll:

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:55 am

disappointed that they didn't replace that weird welded turret with a ordinary one
All T-34/85 turrets were welded, some simply had more castings welded together than others. There was no such thing as an ordinary turret because they were produced at about a half dozen different Zavod's with varying specifications, which changed frequently during the war, and was subject to other factors as well.
yeah the FOV t-34 looks exactly like that
The roughness on the turret of that model maybe somewhat exaggerated, but not tremendously so. Here are a few pics that might better illustrate just how rough the surface of a T-34/85 could really be. I agree that FOV probably went a little overboard on that, but it's not as terrible as you might think. T-34/85 turrets were a conglomeration of parts welded together, some had more parts than others, depending on which factory produced it, and thus more weld seams, some were rougher than others, but all were very crudely finished to say the least. The pics came from the book "T-34 Mythical Weapon" and are copyright of their respective owners. Click to enlarge....

ImageImage
ImageImage
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

demonclaw
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by demonclaw » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:12 am

ostketten wrote: All T-34/85 turrets were welded, some simply had more castings welded together than others. There was no such thing as an ordinary turret because they were produced at about a half dozen different Zavod's with varying specifications, which changed frequently during the war, and was subject to other factors as well.
I know all the turrets were welded I was just saying that the FOV t-34 had a weird welded turret and what I meant with "ordinary" is a turret with a plain surface that we usually see . But thanks for all the info , its always nice when a board member post references for a model