FOV ships

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
Sky Ray
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Sky Ray » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:57 pm

VMF115 wrote:Did you sell it?
No, I need another one so I don't sink my battleship and ruin it. Personally I don't think it can float.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:44 pm

it won't ruin it by putting it in water. Just support it from the bottom and gradually lower your hand and see if it floats.....you'll be able to tell and catch it in time before it goes glug.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Sky Ray
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Sky Ray » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:16 pm

Ok, I was examining the Bismarck again, it definitely cannot float. I just realized the four holes below it where the wire goes through to hold it in place inside the box (similar to how the new 1:72 FOV tanks are packaged) will let water in internally into the Bismarck, causing it to flood inside. Unless there's a sturdy way to make those holes water tight..

Here's a pic of the bottom:
http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/9532/1007725nz8.jpg

ltcbj
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by ltcbj » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:28 am

Many ways to make those holes non-holes and watertight. Epoxy filler will do. It may be top heavy, however and just turn turtle. Does it come apart at the waterline? If so you could epoxy the holes and add some weights below the water line.

If getting wet will ruin a plastic model the world is in more trouble than it knows.
"The only constant is change. Often short change. Learn to accept.": Noah Vaile www.dinosaur-toys-collectors-guide.com
[img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c315/photbug/image6.jpg[/img]
On your mark! Get set! Lunch....
Want your own website? PM me!

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:56 am

i doubt those holes will cause it to flood. Being on the bottom air will get trapped inside them and prevent water coming in. If the holes were on the sides then that would be a problem but bottom holes probably arent'

Try it. :)
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:47 am

Fill 'er up with some Great Stuff foam! :lol: :lol:
This message brought to you in part by Adderall.

Sky Ray
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Sky Ray » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:48 pm

ltcbj wrote:Many ways to make those holes non-holes and watertight. Epoxy filler will do. It may be top heavy, however and just turn turtle. Does it come apart at the waterline? If so you could epoxy the holes and add some weights below the water line.
I need something cheap and temporary. I'm thinking about using play-doh instead, I still need those peg holes for the display stand, would that be a good idea?

aferguson wrote:i doubt those holes will cause it to flood. Being on the bottom air will get trapped inside them and prevent water coming in. If the holes were on the sides then that would be a problem but bottom holes probably arent'

Try it. :)
Interestingly there is a gap at the sides of the front hull. This gap is on the black line of the ship, which is perfect to convert the ship into a waterline hull.

ltcbj

Post by ltcbj » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:14 pm

What about that stick-it stuff to use top hold posters, etc. up on walls? That should work. I think play-doh may melt in water.

Got a three year old running around?

I doubt that it was designed to actually take to the sea so that turning on its side is quite likely without weigh in the hull bottom.
"The only constant is change. Often short change. Learn to accept.": Noah Vaile www.dinosaur-toys-collectors-guide.com
[img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c315/photbug/image6.jpg[/img]
On your mark! Get set! Lunch....
Want your own website? PM me!