FOV cancels Stryker

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
lightning2000
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Pre-orders

Post by lightning2000 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:01 pm

Hi,
I'm not going to speak for Unimax or any other manufacturer, but everything is approached from a spreadsheet perspective. If it costs say $300,000 to make the mold and produce the product, then they need to reach a break even number (based upon pre-orders received from the dealers and retailers) before going ahead with production.

Actually, this brings up an interesting point I was going to touch on down the road but is probably applicable at this point. I know a great many of you would prefer to wait to place your order rather than pre-order a product, for obvious reasons. However, in this instance, and in others I can think of, an item was simply cancelled prior to production because the manufacturer felt there wasnt enough demand for it. Of course, I'm not looking to blame anyone, but we're talking global demand for an item, not just here in North America. If, for example, no one in Europe cares about a Stryker or a Buffalo or a MICLIC vehicle, then the chances are good it'll never see the light of day. At the end of the day, its a business decision like any other. If revenue doesnt at least meet the outlay in funds, then the project is stillborn.

Lightning2000
www.themotorpool.net
Create Your Own Battlefield in Miniature or Build Your Own Private War Museum...The Choice is Yours at The Motor Pool!

EnemyAce
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by EnemyAce » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:17 pm

Stryker would make a nice piece of diecast, but I suppose you need to give it a few years to worm its way into the mind of the general toy and model buying product before you really start seeing them. Give them a few more years service in Iraq as well as in domestic parades/military show&tells at Fairs, etc., and I bet it'll make the shelves. Seems like Unimax has a lot of the cad work/etc. already invested which is a good sign it'll be back. Probably just had more attractive (read: profitable) models to go with at the present.

Ziegler2112
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Ziegler2112 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:32 pm

Thanks for the insight, Lightning. I was so looking forward to the Stryker. I only collect the 1:32 scale modern era vehicles, so new releases and/or repaints in that department are a most welcome addition since we only see one or two a year, if that.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:28 pm

i'll be interested to see what happens to FOV's announced 1/18 stryker. Whether it will see the light of day (since they have a major retailer for it in) or if it will be cancelled as well.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

rose4472g
Corporal
Corporal

Post by rose4472g » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:30 pm

Geez, I woulda bought one. That's really going to thin down there 1/32 releases for 08 (new molds that is). That leaves us with a elephant (blech)and a truck (great!). Slow year.

David

Birddog
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Birddog » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:03 pm

I'm hoping we don't see this happen to the 1/18 Stryker FOV has pictured for their Bravo Team line. As Aferg eluded to, with a mass retailer behind the Bravo Team line, maybe this won't happen to that one.
Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!

Still waiting and wishing for a 1/18 A-10 Warthog.

MG-42

* Stryker ( ? )

Post by MG-42 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:50 pm

Birddog wrote:I'm hoping we don't see this happen to the 1/18 Stryker FOV has pictured for their Bravo Team line. As Aferg eluded to, with a mass retailer behind the Bravo Team line, maybe this won't happen to that one.

>>> "I agree w/ "Birddog" here".

Mitch v MG
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:50 pm

Hey we want 'em cheap, right? :roll:

I doubt it's anything political. What, the Chinese are so offended by the Strykers?

But this does suck. I'm a huge fan of modern armor/vehicle. I hope the 1/18 Stryker is still on track. :(

Although its kinda funny to hear you guys badmouth China and its policies, only when they stop making the toys you want.

But other than that, it's business as usual eh?

jrs.
Corporal
Corporal

Post by jrs. » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:13 pm

I dont know about politics and all that when it comes to the stryker. I do know that hearing it over and over again about accuracy gets me a bit. I see these as toys and can live with a few mistakes. If I wanted ultimate detail I would build 1:35 scale. I think many collectors dont give credit where it is due a lot of the time.

I like the idea of buying a toy and could care less about a model. 21st should stick to toys as should unimax. IMHO!

As far as the swastika etc goes.... I understand it, to me these are toys, people who dont collect toys view things like that in a different light. If my family had been killed by Nazis I would think it inapropriate to see toys adorned with nazi symbols history or not.

These are just my thoughts, not trying to push em just share a bit. :wink:

DAN
Corporal
Corporal

Post by DAN » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:49 pm

Foxhole has the Stryker as coming soon in 1/18, but I don't know if they are in contact with FOV about the release.

General custer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by General custer » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:48 am

[url=http://site.voila.fr/lilsoldiers/index.html][img]http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/9243/bannierelv1.jpg[/img][/url]

Ruger
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Ruger » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:06 pm

Actually it is still there, it's under "vehicles". You can see the page on it HERE. I think it's still canceled, but at least we can hope.

MV
"When I went into Kuwait I had 39 tanks, after six weeks of air bombardment, I had 32 left. After 20 minutes in action against the M1's, I had none." Iraqi BN Cdr, 1991
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/CanteenX/Blowing-Smoke-sig.jpg[/img]

General custer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by General custer » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:58 pm

Mmmmmmmmm OK, thanx for the link!
[url=http://site.voila.fr/lilsoldiers/index.html][img]http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/9243/bannierelv1.jpg[/img][/url]

ltcbj

Post by ltcbj » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:07 am

Phooey!!
"The only constant is change. Often short change. Learn to accept.": Noah Vaile www.dinosaur-toys-collectors-guide.com
[img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c315/photbug/image6.jpg[/img]
On your mark! Get set! Lunch....
Want your own website? PM me!

ltcbj

Post by ltcbj » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:11 am

That link:

http://www.forcesofvalor.com/product.aspx?pid=278

would seem to indicate that the 1/32 model comes with "accurate, 1/72 scale details" which wouldn't be a selling point to me.
"The only constant is change. Often short change. Learn to accept.": Noah Vaile www.dinosaur-toys-collectors-guide.com

Jason of Admiral Toys
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Jason of Admiral Toys » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:10 am

Unfortunate. I was looking forward to this release. I am sure they have a very good reason. FOV is "the manufacturer" in this industry.

Trust me, FOV knew well in advance if China had an issue with this model. It has something to do with the facility's schedule. Manufactures know well in advance, before they begin a model, whether China will export the model and what countries will import the model.
Last edited by Jason of Admiral Toys on Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:47 am, edited 5 times in total.

ltcbj

Post by ltcbj » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:26 am

On the other hand... these are just toys.

ltcbj

Post by ltcbj » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:30 am

BTW Jason: Is the PzIII-M the last (nearly all) metal armor model that you (Admiral) will be producing? I think that the III-H is the high point of the series so far. Why didn't you put a box on the back of the turret though? (Finally got to ask that question!!)

Jason of Admiral Toys
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Jason of Admiral Toys » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:41 am

ltcbj wrote:BTW Jason: Is the PzIII-M the last (nearly all) metal armor model that you (Admiral) will be producing? I think that the III-H is the high point of the series so far. Why didn't you put a box on the back of the turret though? (Finally got to ask that question!!)
Probably not. We have some plans to produce other models in metal. Our production cost have gone up in metal injection. Offering you these models at the current price is tricky.

We did not put the box on the H model because most H models did not have the Rommel box. We went off original plans for the Panzer III H. You should appreciate what we went through. Our facility tooled a hole in the back of every Panzer turret. We actually had to go back and retool the model to get rid of the hole that would hold the box. :shock: :oops: :lol: (It is early enough to use the faces)

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:43 am

Trust me, FOV knew well in advance if China had an issue with this model.
I agree. I doubt seriously if there were any issues with making a "Capitalist/Imperialist war machine" I mean they are already producing a bunch of "capitalist war machines" that the U.S. forces are using in current conflicts. Doubt this had anything to do with it's use in Iraq. :?
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

ltcbj

Post by ltcbj » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:19 am

In any event IMHO the III-H is really a star. Thank you. I just like the "flow" to the eye of the PzIII with the turret box. I also have never (cannot recall) ever seeing photos of pretty much any PzIII post the "E" model without the turret storage box. I presumed it had become standard pretty much by the "G".