Dragon Can-Do pocket army?

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
larry
Private First Class
Private First Class

Dragon Can-Do pocket army?

Post by larry » Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:14 am

Hello all,

Does anyone out there have any thoughts on Dragon's Can-Do pocket army (1:144 scale)?

http://www.michtoy.com/MTSCnewSite/vehi ... _Army.html

Dragon always makes amazing stuff, but it just seems like they're trying to cram too much detail into such a small model. I'm judging from pictures, however -- anyone out there have first hand experience?

Larry

P.S. On a side note, I've been very pleased with the welcome given to newbies. I called Pete's Collectibles yesterday (http://www.petescollectibles.com) and even got to talk to Pete himself -- it seems like the hobby world is filled with good folks.

Jorg
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Jorg » Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:29 am

I think they are great. I have several of them. The display bases are a nice touch, too.

smh_1021
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by smh_1021 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:43 am

I actually think they are rather incredible for the size/price. I have the standard issues and the limited edition 'X' versions and cannot believe the detail that is offered on a 1:144 scale replica. As nice as I thought the tanks and Stuka's are (and I hear that there are more planes and vehicles coming - P-51 Mustangs, P-47 Thunderbolts, German Leopards, etc.), the example which really shows what Dragon is capable of is the 54cm tracked heavy mortar - unbelievable, and the simulate grass on the display base and the carded background is a very nice addition.

ltcbj
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by ltcbj » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:34 pm

I really love these things. Their size is excellent for wargaming/playing and their detail is exquisite.
I found a website relevant to them as well: "http://groups.msn.com/DragonCan-doCeleb ... bpage.msnw", which has some pretty neat pictures of dioramas this man has done.
My only complaint is the fragility of antennae, barrels and attached mgs (Abrams'). Combine them with Pegasus halftracks and World Tank Museum stuff and there is quite a choice, but the Can-Dos are the best!!
"The only constant is change. Often short change. Learn to accept.": Noah Vaile www.dinosaur-toys-collectors-guide.com
[img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c315/photbug/image6.jpg[/img]
On your mark! Get set! Lunch....
Want your own website? PM me!

Sgt. Stryker
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Sgt. Stryker » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:51 pm

The Dragon 1:144 armour are plastic, right?
At least the Corgi Showcase tanks have diecast chassis, and are larger scale (approx. 1/87).
Stryker

graycap
Sergeant
Sergeant

CANDO POCKET ARMY

Post by graycap » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:58 pm

I also collect 1/144 models and Cando are excellent. I've just manged to get the new Challenger II & Warrior set and they are superb models. The next set either is a set of Bundeswehr Leopards (1s and A4, A5 and A 6) or WWII Nashorns/Marders. Also World Tank Museum (Takara) are worth looking at. Their next series - out next month I believe, is ging to be themed on Kursk with Panther Ds, PzKw IIIs, Nashorns (with crew), T-34, Su-122 and a 6pdr, PAK 40, and Sov 76 mm ant-tank gun set. These all are great models and are particularly recommended if you are strapped for space as you can get a large collection in a small area.

nfafan
Sergeant
Sergeant

The pre-painted CanDos are very nice, as are

Post by nfafan » Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:04 pm

some of the others out there in this range. The CanDos tend to be finished in realistic or accurate cammo and markings, the Takara World Tank Museum and Trumpeter's Tanks of the World(?) tend to be finished more "generically".

The Can-Do and Trumps are sold in the peg-board packages with the little display case. The CanDo "micro-dio" display cases are nicer than Trumps.

The Japanese home market Takara's can be found sold in "hidden" boxes - you don't know what you get until you open them. Plus you get a stick of gum! The Takara's I've bought were internal packages from open boxes. Their JagdTiger and TigerP were outstanding. The JT hull is much nicer than the KT hull of the CanDo.

Dragon also offers their CanDo in their Panzer Korp series - unpainted and unbuilt, two plastic and rubber "kits" per box for under a five-spot - except for the Morsers and rail-gun. The P-K kits have great decals and PE add-on parts to boot!

But... The P-Korp range doesn't exactly match the CanDo range vehicle for vehicle. Some vehicles are only available CanDo, and vice-versa.

They just recently began offering CanDo build-ups of the Morsers and rail-gun - great if your not into building your own.

Last thing to be wary of the P-Korp kits - the rubbery-molded tracks do NOT take paint well. I tried everything I could think of; enamals, acrylics, coat with whiteglue first, coat afterwards - they are still tacky to the touch months later.

larry
Private First Class
Private First Class

comparisons

Post by larry » Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:54 pm

Wow, thank you for the prompt responses, all! Do you mind if I ask a few more questions?

1. Just how big is the 1:144 scale? Let's say we're talking about the Abrams. Is the chassis the size of a US $0.25 quarter? The size of a credit card? Somewhere in between (a wheat-thin or triscuit? =P) Being a first-time collector, I have no real frame of reference.

2. In the comparison between the Dragon 1:72 and the Dragon Can-Do 1:144, do the Can-Do tanks stack up? Or is the quality significantly different?

In general, it seems like people are saying overwhelmingly positive things about the Can-Do line. But I dunno, judging solely by pictures, and given the fact that I'm really only looking at modern stuff, it seems like Dragon is trying to fit too much detail onto these little Can-Do guys, and it just makes it seem...gaudy? Forced? Compare the 1:72 Bradley with the 1:144 Bradley -- the former just looks simple yet detailed, while the latter looks like they tried to put too much grime, weathering and features in.

1:72 Bradley
http://store1.yimg.com/I/badcattoys_1829_6153882

1:144 Bradley
http://www.michtoy.com/MTSCnewSite/vehi ... 059_A.html

3. There was some mention of the Kaiyodo/Takara line being detailed more "generically." Does anyone else have any input? Specific insights into modern tanks would be helpful (it seems like my fascination with Abrams and Bradleys puts me in the minority group of hobbyists out there....)
http://www.takaratoys.co.jp/takara_cand ... index.html (especially the new Series 6)

I really do appreciate everyone's collective time reading and commenting.

gratefully,
Larry

Jorg
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Jorg » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:13 pm

The unfortunate thing is you'll never really know what how feel about them until you spend $4 and pick one up or check it out at the local hobby store.

Now to your questions:

1. See pictures.

2. See pictures.

3. The Takara tanks, at least in the modern, offer three paint varieties of each, which don't seem to be necessarily nation specific.

And now the pictures.

As far as the gaudy/forced/too much detail thing, you should to consider a couple of things. First, you are looking at a farly small object REALLY close in those pictures you see. The closer you get to it, the more those things are going to pop out at you. If you look at it from 2 feet away, it will seem more natural.

Second, as you get smaller, you have several other problems. One is that the details have to be big enough to mold and not disappear when painted over. Additionally, as you get smaller, differences is size become less perceptible to the naked eye. For details to stand out, they need to be emphasized more.

The best solution is to look at one in person and see what you think. I personally prefer the 1/72. It sounds like you might too. That said, I'm still happy with my 1/144 tanks.

Good luck!

(Edited for grammar. I'm surprised any of that made any sense to anyone. Maybe it didn't. :))
Last edited by Jorg on Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

nfafan
Sergeant
Sergeant

Another option to the 1/144th 3-D eye exams...

Post by nfafan » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:27 pm

Consider 15mm...

Look at this site for ideas. If your into WW2, especially German, RU, USA, UK - you likely can't name a vehicle they don't make.

http://www.battlefront.co.nz/NCatalogue.asp?Search=True

But.. they are resin and white-metal, and you have to paint them yourself.

As the pics describe, the finished products do indeed look pretty good.

The other posts were dead on, you need to see to believe.

ltcbj

Post by ltcbj » Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:09 am

Yes, the Can-Do are plastic. They are pretty rugged though, apart from my particular notes above. I don't think there is "too much" detail or weathering on them. I do agree that 1/87 is a great scale and I used to avidly collect ROCO vehicles in that scale. They however are even more fragile in every aspect, and they are BIGGER which is the whole point- the Can-Do are little. They are also prepainted which is nice. I also find that other brands, Gorgi etc. in 1/87 are not done nearly as well.... IMHO.
"The only constant is change. Often short change. Learn to accept.": Noah Vaile www.dinosaur-toys-collectors-guide.com
[img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c315/photbug/image6.jpg[/img]
On your mark! Get set! Lunch....
Want your own website? PM me!

WGP Klaus
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Re: comparisons

Post by WGP Klaus » Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:32 am

larry wrote:

3. There was some mention of the Kaiyodo/Takara line being detailed more "generically." Does anyone else have any input? Specific insights into modern tanks would be helpful (it seems like my fascination with Abrams and Bradleys puts me in the minority group of hobbyists out there....)
http://www.takaratoys.co.jp/takara_cand ... index.html (especially the new Series 6)

I really do appreciate everyone's collective time reading and commenting.

gratefully,
Larry
Larry
I really only collect the modern in the 1:144 with the exception of Tigers, and recently started picking up the Takara World Tank Museum pices, more specifically the Leopards, Merkavas(great pieces by the way..Israeli tanks are a "specialty" of mine.lol)and a couple M1's. I recently also picked up a couple of the Snakes recently (AH-1W's) from ebay as I haven't seen those on the shelves of the two stores locally that carry this line. The prices are just a tad bit more than the Can-Do, at $4.99 ea (Can-Do $3.99). If you're into the magnifying glass scale, definitely worth picking up, the detail on the Takara is outstanding for the size, as are the Dragon pieces...and I can imagine these things are popular with the wargaming crowd.

HTH
Todd

KAMIKAZE

Post by KAMIKAZE » Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:17 am

I use Can-Do for wargaming.Great little tanks,but I need some allied tanks as well as all these super heavy German tanks.

Mark
I'm a legend in my own mind.

Sgt. Stryker
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Sgt. Stryker » Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:02 pm

Ok. I bought some 1:144 CanDo German Panzers.
My final question in this thread is how do you "attach" the tank to the display "terrain" while being able to lock and remove the clear plastic cover without the tank being "rattled" inside? Crazy glue to the tank treads?

Hoverbug
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Hoverbug » Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:53 pm

I always use Elmers white glue since it isn't permanent and won't damage either surface and should be sufficient to hold it in place unless you drop it.

larry
Private First Class
Private First Class

1:144 helicopters?

Post by larry » Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:58 pm

Hello all,

Thank you all for your warm responses. A nice community out there. =)

I hoped to provide some air support for my Can-Do tanks (which *are* quite nice, by the way). However, I know I'm in the minority for being a modern collector =P (you WWII boys have all those planes)!

Does anyone know of any great 1:144 modern aviation models out there? There's a great but hard-to-find line of helicopters (they're sometimes on Ebay):

http://www.tankzone.co.uk/cart/f-toys.htm

A somewhat less-good line -- more toy-ish, and the scales are all screwed-up (about the only one that's accurately 1:144, I think, is the Little Bird):

http://www.tankzone.co.uk/cart/furuta_egg_s2.htm

And finally, Corgi has actually come out with a decent-looking 1:144 Apache (though I think the picture is actually the 1:64 Tactical Strike version; I've seen the real 1:144 pictures on Ebay):

http://www.michtoy.com/MTSCnewSite/vehi ... 90318.html

Am I missing any great lines of 1:144 helicopters, CAS planes, etc?

respectfully,
Larry