1:72 Collecting Question

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Re: 1:72 Collecting Question

Post by cjg476 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:25 pm

Dauntless if you get there newletter they have 20% off all dragon right now with the code. I think that one is included.

On a different note, I got my finland he-111 today and my three hobby master german opel trucks. I didnt know the wheels actually moved. Made my day.

This weekend I built shelves in my garage to put my 1:18 so I could clear the room they were in to start putting 1:72.

Now all I need to find is the all black night bomber version of the he-111 and I will be happy for now.

I also ordered some airimax stuff. A british control tower, and some german infantry and a german luftwaffe crew. I cant wait to get them and get started. I will have a german airbase one way or another.

MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :evil: :evil: :evil: :lol: :lol: :lol: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Dauntless-----------------------[Cat]CplSlade
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

Dauntless
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Dauntless » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:14 pm

Cool, I just signed up, thanks. They had a good deal on the HM D-Day Beaufighter btw.

Sounds like your gettin' the Euro Theatre going good. I'm staying over in the Pacific for a while. :lol:

I've got a couple of 1:18 fighters hanging up, but there's just no room, even around the ceilings. I'm going to stay with the 1:32 plastic for that.

I bought these four glass and wood curio cabinets at Walmart about 5 years ago. They are actually quite nice. I only assembled one for all my loose Johnny Lightning White Lightnings, Black with Flames, Green Light Green Machines, old Lesneys and Batmobiles etc., but I'm going to put the rest together for some other rare stuff and primarily 1:72 diecast.
New Mexico is the land of dust, so I'm not going to display my expensive planes till then. Still working on getting more anyways.

Never heard of airimax have to look them up.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:02 pm

Airfix are a model kit brand of figures and stuff. Sorry I think I said it wrong. I just thought it would compliment my corgi with air crew and accessories.
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:01 pm

Yeah I've been checking out accessories myself. Looks like you can buy a Japanese carrier deck and a US one too. There are also some pre-painted figures. Have to check out the Airfix though. A field tower would be cool.

Was digging through my Johnny Lightnings, and found a bunch of loose Pearl Harbor vehicles. At least 3 are Army and have Hickam Field on the sides, and some gray Navy ones too. Don't know the exact scale but they are pretty close to an Armour 1:72 yellow Fuel Truck I bought years ago. Opened my FOV Welch P-40, and going to make a little scene with them. The only 1:72 die cast Pearl harbor P-40B/C that's made I think. It's not too bad for a cheapy.

Just scored a Hobby Master Kate Commander Fuchida, Pearl Harbor. Had to fight for it, but about the same as retail if they were available, which they're not.

Also scored a buy it now Hobby Master Midway Dauntless Gouchy told me about... TBD needs a brother. :)

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:22 pm

Congrats on the score. A pearl harbor diorama would be awesome. Have you thought about making a hanger for them? If so let me know how, I'm looking for ideas. :D
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

snake

Post by snake » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:45 am

Really glad that you guys have both got into the 1/72 stuff, and seem to like it. :D

Knew that the Devastator and Heinkel would go over well. :wink:

There is so much stuff available in this scale, but alas, I don't do single engined fighters in 1/72.

The Dragon 1/72 hasn't been produced for a while, but do get rave reviews, and worth checking out. Particularly the P-47. So, I would think that your F-4 Wildcat would be a nice one, Dauntless.

And it is interesting that one is concentrating on European, and one Pacific Theaters.

Looking forward to seeing what else you guys pick up.

gouchy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gouchy » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:59 am

Congrats on the Midway SBD Dauntless 8) I thought you'd be bidding on them instead on BIN

Glad you're happy with the SM Devastator, you have got to get their Vals too! I've got the first 2 releases and couldn't be happier, I would buy the latest releases if it weren't for budget and space issues, I just can't indulgently buy everything I fancy :cry:

As for the Wildcat, besides Flying Mule, I like to browse Aikens, they have good inventories of most brands and when some planes get sold out the listing is still there for reference, so very useful to look at those you've missed out. Here's the link to browse some of the Dragon Wildcats.

http://www.aikensairplanes.com/dwings.htm
"Be Water, My Friend..."

Good Trader: Tankace

gouchy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gouchy » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:18 am

Your European collection is coming along nicely cjg476 can't wait to see your dioramas 8)

I love the Corgi Mediums and Heavies, its too bad nobody else seems interested to make them (hint hint HM, 1/72 not 1/144) I was late into the diecast game I missed out on a lot of them. Now I have to pay to play

Only have this one HE-111 myself and love it although its never been out of the box yet :oops:
http://www.flyingmule.com/products/CG-AA33703

I'm waiting for Corgi to release more Do-215/17s I've not gotten any yet
"Be Water, My Friend..."

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:27 am

Yeah, I was going to bid on the other Midway SBD, but I figured they would be fighting over it near the end and it'll go as high or higher than the buy it now one anyways.
Your right though, can't buy everything, so I'm just trying to get some definitive versions. I recognized the Fuchida Kate right away, as that's the markings they used in Tora Tora Tora. Surprised I won it as it's gone everywhere.

Thanks for the reference. I didn't know there are three 1942 Wildcats by Dragon. Looks like there's a Midway Yorktown version, so probably try to score that one somewhere. It would have to be the one sold out. :? The Enterprise one looks good though too with a little more markings and plus the highest scoring F4F pilot of the war.

My next big purchase will be one of the Vals. Probably one of the grey ones. "Patriotic Gift" looks to be the better of the two, with a little extra markings. There again it looks like the ones in the movies. Easily available now.

I had no idea till I started looking that some of these planes are very hard to get, in limited numbers, and appreciating in value.

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:55 am

First off Snake, I love 1:72 now. And my wife thinks they are really neat. And she said building dioramas are like hardcore scrapbooking :shock: . I think its neat I have her wanting to know more. I love it the most because she is wanting to do something with me that is all about this kind of collecting. She is 24 so its hard to get her to concentrate on anything :lol:

Also I like that Dauntless is collecting the Pacific and Im doing Europe to. I feel I found someone who has picked up enjoying these just as I have, and I love to hear what he thinks of each one. I feel between the two of us war may be inevitable :lol:

Gouchy, Aikins is where I have bought half of my planes and flying mule and ebay some of the others. I like Dave from Aikins. I talked to him on the phone the other day for about an hour. First conversation with him and it was nice to talk to someone who seems to have a passion for this stuff like we do. It seems that meeting one face to face or sharing your collection for others to look at is unappreciated around here as I know no one who collects these or anything for that matter.

Also Gouchy that Heinkel you have is the one I described in a previous post that I cant seem to find. Of course I almost bust $500 out on starting this collection wanting that one and cant find it so I go with others and then one like that pops up on ebay for $125. I just cant find the urge to pay that yet.

Im glad you guys are all giving feedback about everything too. I honestly get on here like 100x's a day just to see if you guys have reposted or commented on anything. Also I love my hobbymaster opel trucks. I think they are well done. I guess I thought they were going to be cheap but seem to be great quality wise to me. I mean the wheels roll. Glad I go them.

Anyways I hope to learn more and have many more conversations with you guys. :oops:
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

gouchy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gouchy » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:53 am

Its no wonder its sold out on Aikens and most everywhere, its Jimmy Thach's Wildcat in the Battle of Midway. The Runyon Enterprise Wildcat is very nice too with a display base but I would def get the Thach one for the history and would be excellent display companion for all the rest of the Midway planes. Dragon Wildcats are done excellently so no worries bout quality.

Check out this Dragon Wildcat collection...
http://www.thediecasthangarpub.com/view ... 0&p=126748

I got my He-111 night sortie AA33703 couple years back for slightly less then $100 inclusive intl shipped, so $125 exclude shipping may or may not be a fair price now, I haven't been keeping track on HE-111 prices to be honest. Consider that this seller is in US and the shipping will be lower compared to getting them from Europe which is more frequently available for a lower price.
"Be Water, My Friend..."

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:02 am

I had read about Thatch's adventure at Midway, so yeah that's the one I wanted. Thanks for setting me up with one (the last one) available. 8)

That's a lot of Dragon Wildcats in that pic. Though I'm wondering why they haven't done Butch O'Hare's early 1941 F4F. That would be the one to do to round out the Wildcats, as there are no early 1941 red dot, candy cane rudder F4F's there.
He's got the Chicago airport named after him and a restored Wildcat with his markings on display there, so a no brainer. Perhaps in the pipe?
http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM48 ... Chicago_IL

It doesn't look like there's anything going on with 1:72 Japanese twin bombers available for the Pacific. It's too bad no one makes a 1:72 Betty.

Got my eyes on that Corgi PBY Catalina "McCain" in 1942 markings. You can still get it. There's a B-25 Doolittle Raider also, and at least one 1941 version of the B-17E. These latter two look to be hard to get. :?

The Pacific Theatre could get a little more expensive. Still haven't gone back in time and gotten to the Coral Sea Navy planes, then on to Guadalcanal. There's some P-39 Aircobras, and P-40E's as well as the Marines aircraft there.
I think I can wait a little while to go post 1943 though, but still have to get a Hobby Master Avenger and Helldiver.

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:17 pm

Are there any stores that sell corgi or hobby master? I went to my local hobby town today and they had dragon and forces of valor everything but nothin else. Just thought I would ask if you guys knew.

I picked up a forces of valor fw-190 me-262 red 13 and spifire for $30 total. I thought that was good price for the three. They dont seem that bad.
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:21 am

Not anymore that I know of. Target and TRU used to, but no national franchises now. I have found some Armour planes in some hobby shops that carry models, but they closed down. Most hobby shops are into RC planes and vehicles, but they may also carry some die cast and models. I've been meaning to check myself. Sometimes Tuesday Mornings has Corgi and Dragon on closeout. You might check there also.

That's a good deal on the FOV's, like Target on sale prices at $10 a piece. 8) Some of those FOV planes are a good value. The detail on the Stuka is excellent imo. I bought nearly every scheme they had. You don't have to worry about wonky landing gear, because it's fixed. I need to open a few more and really get a close look at them. Some have fixed landing gear like the P-40B/C, but it's the only die cast one available so far. :?
Others have either or. You can look in the package and see extra landing gear parts for them like the Hurricane.

Fixing to open my FOV Pearl Harbor Zero as soon as I can find it in the garage.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:11 pm

Found a buy it now IXO Shinden-Kai "George" for $27 shipped.
http://www.themotorpool.net/Japanese-Ka ... 200615.htm

snake

Post by snake » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:25 pm

That "George" is now gone. Dauntless, you snag it?

IXO are a good gap filler, and produce some aircraft that you would be surprised and happy to see done in diecast. I have the He 219, Do335, Hs 129, and Arado 234.

There are a couple of new 1/72 manufacturers that have just entered the market. Oxford, who make the Arado 196 floatplane, and Aviation72, as well as Falcon models who make the Fiesler Fi 156 Storch. These are definitely budget lines, but again produce some desirable models, not done by the bigger manufacturers.

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:42 pm

I am about to grab the storch...I cant decide between rommel's or the eastern front one...I think i like the green on black better...but its rommel...so torn... :D
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:06 pm

I just used the MotorPool link for reference. It was an ebay item.

I saw that Dornier 335. I built a 1:72 model back in the day. It's not a small airplane at all.
IXO, Altaya, and now War Master sure had many choices, and they really broke new ground with unusual aircraft.
I have my eye on that Oxford Arado 196 too. It's not that expensive either.

Fiesler Storch...talk about an oddball. The one plane that looks at home with any German armor. I saw the Rommel version, and I guess Eisenhower even had a captured one.

A tough choice Cjg, the black on green one does look nice though. http://www.flyingmule.com/products/FA-FA724002

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:04 pm

I know I may end up getting that one. I liked the Arado too, but I think the propeller is fixed. I think thats what I read, but Im not sure. Thats a downer for me just like fixed landing gear.
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:48 pm

Yeah, that is a downer, I checked the description, sure enough fixed propeller. If they're dirt cheap I can put up with fixed landing gear, just won't put them on a stand in flight cause what's the point? But prefer them either or.

Those open dive brakes on the Dauntless and Helldiver bother me. Luckily the first few SBD's and the Banshee they are closed. I won't be buying the ones with them open.

Only the first Helldiver, the Bunker Hill has closed brakes. It's the most popular and sold out everywhere. I wonder if those dive flaps being open on every other one have something to do with there being plenty of the others left, almost a glut of them. I have read a few negative comments about them on other sites.

What the heck, you can't position them on their stands in a dive, what are they opened for, cleaning or maintenance? A wonky idea for Hobby Master imo. Guess I won't be buying one unless I find a Bunker Hill. :?

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:50 pm

I agree Dauntless hold out and buy the best one. Dont settle for another one and waste your money, hold out and get the one you want. But I know you know that already.
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

snake

Post by snake » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:15 pm

The Helldiver dive brakes are open to controversy. Pun intended.

Doesn't really bother me, as I think it shows more detail, But if it is going to drive you crazy, best to stay away.

HM is very open to customer comments, and if there is a big demand for a particular open or closed, they will almost certainly give the majority of customers what they want.

If you have your heart set on the Bunker Hill, with closed dive brakes Dauntless, just keep an eye out on Ebay. At this stage, don't believe these are that rare, and you should be able to get one for a reasonable price. Just keep in mind that these will not get cheaper over time. So best to get one early. :wink:

HM are also well known for doing many schemes from a particular mold, so very likely that they will do another USN version, with closed dive brakes.

Again, great to see you two guys expanding into 1/72, with one going Pacific, and the other European. 8)

gouchy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gouchy » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:14 am

Snake is right, just be patient, HM will eventually release more Helldivers with the closed flap due to demand sooner then later. There are plenty of releases every month, sometimes to many to much, so waiting is not really that bad when there's plenty others to spend money on in between. :lol:

I was very bothered by the HM F-4 Jolly Rogers 1st release with the wrong spelling "USS Rooseyelt" and got rid of it. It was a huge gamble then as there's heaps of F-4 schemes to do and might have waited for a very long time for a re-release, if ever. So I was happy and rewarded that HM did release the JR again with the correct spelling.

The IXO models, especially the Jap and some German models are great gap fillers, some are even better then fillers. I've got most of the Japs except missing a Tony and Grace. My favorite is the KI-84 Frank, good looking fighter and highlighted in bold colors. I missed out all the Germans that Snake mentioned, snoozed too long and now very expensive and rare to get. Hopefully they'll get re-released under IXO's subsidiary brands.

The fixed prop also killed it for me for Oxford, spinning the props on my planes makes diecast collecting a more deeper (juvenile) level of joy for me :lol:
"Be Water, My Friend..."

gouchy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gouchy » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:27 am

Speaking of spinning props,

Diecast Airplanes & Waterline Ships - this is a fantastic site by Colin Riley, has very good photo archive and brief reviews of his collection and he takes great pics

Many of my purchases were directly influenced by referencing with this site and Tricatus (very sorely missed) so my personal thanks to them both! 8)

Warning: Visiting this site might cause you to go hunt & buy models you never thought you wanted

http://www.diecastairplanesandwaterline ... /index.htm
"Be Water, My Friend..."

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:47 am

That's a cool site Gouchy. Lots of close ups.

I didn't know HM takes suggestions Snake. I suppose I could live with the flaps open, It would be nice if they could make them close-able too, but there's plenty of other planes I can get in the meantime. I'll wait, and watch for a BH Helldiver though meantime. Though the prices keep climbing.

My Fuchida Kate came in yesterday. Another fine model like the Skymax Devastator. It's got three figures too. Alas no torpedo, but a bomb instead. Then I remembered Fuchida did high altitude bombing, and directed the attack from above. Guess I'll probably get one of the later HM models too with the torpedo. Very pleased with it though.

That KI-84 with the bold colors is HTF, would like one if I can locate it.