Any update on the FOV P-39

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
Rowsdower
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Rowsdower » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:05 pm

Today I was able to inspect the P-39 closely. I really wanted to like this model but it is just chock full of problems.

On a good note, they seem to have got the message that having non-flush rivets everywhere is not a good thing. Also the engine detail was pretty good, nothing spectacular, but cool to look at. I wonder about the fit of the engine covers/panels however.

Now on to the bad. The paint job had many, many flaws especially over spray where the gray bottom meets the OD topside of the fuselage. Also smudges, sloppy edges and obvious "fixes".

The ailerons were very loose and moved all over the place when I moved the box and returned to a hanging down position with the box level. I saw no tab or pin to keep them in a level position. The optional landing gear is a nice idea but the aircraft comes with the "closed" doors fitted and there were big gaps visible where the outside edges of the doors meet the fuselage. The front landing gear had silver paint on the tire.

Fit seems to be a big problem too. There was a big gap between the left wing and fuselage, and the cockpit door looked to be very loose. The biggest thing is there was white super-glue crazing all over the plane which shows up big time on the OD green paint job. There was a ton of it all around the antenna behind the canopy, and a nice big fingerprint on the tip of the left wing.

Last we have the pilot figure, horrible. I think they have two year olds paint these things. Half his face was covered by a big blob of black paint and he had an orange officers hat! :shock: I can't say about screw holes because I couldn't see the bottom side too well.

As I said, I was really hoping the Airacobra would turn out well as I like the P-39 itself, so it is sad for me to see that absolutely horrendous assembly, finishing, and half-ass quality control ruined it. I really don't know how these things get out of the factory in this condition, the defects are obvious. I have two 1:72 P-39's from MRC Easy Model on order and MRC consistently impresses me with their excellent fit and finish so I guess that takes away some of the disappointment. :cry:
This message brought to you in part by Adderall.

Jagdpanther
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jagdpanther » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:19 pm

Thats :( I thought it would be really great now I might just have to pass on it.

Hanomag
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Hanomag » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:22 pm

On a better note, the one I picked up has nowhere near that many flaws.

There are no real gaps so to speak of...not that I've seen anyhow.

The figures look well enough, not their best work but not their worst by far. Though his hat IS orange.

I haven't seen any super-glue issues and the antenna looks good.

There are two paint blotches on the right wing...one on the tip where the white meets the green, the other at the far end of the Star/Stripes symble.
I saw that when I got it and it looks easy enough to fix so I'm not to pressed about it. I've also seen a bit of over spry here and there, but to be fair you have to hunt for them to see 'em.

All in all I like it. There is the possibility that they didn't like the QC issues with the first batch and fixed the probs before shipping anymore out. If that's the case I'd give it them a thumbs up for effort. Better to fix what's broken then say "%$#@ you" to the customer all the way around. Then again it could just be a fluke.

-Hanomag

P.S. Sorry about your luck Rowsdower
seems you got a boot to the teeth
on that one. BLNT

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:23 pm

Jagdpanther wrote:Thats :( I thought it would be really great now I might just have to pass on it.
Honestly I would only recommend buying one at a hobby shop so you can eyeball it before handing over the cash. Maybe this explains FOV not shipping more until January.

My FOV B-26 and B-25, both of which I really like, have some quality control problems too, both of the Marauder's main landing gear fell apart as I was removing them from the plastic because the super glue was crap. The Mitchell has loose, saggy props and there are some other issues but nothing even near the problems I saw on the P-39.

Also, besides the rivits, screw holes and some slightly dodgy invasion stripes on the underside of the wings, my blue nose P-51 is perfect while my Spitfire is a disaster. I think FOV should stick to armor because that seems to be what they do best.

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:34 pm

Hanomag wrote: P.S. Sorry about your luck Rowsdower
seems you got a boot to the teeth
on that one. BLNT
No harm done, I put that one back up on the shelf!:P The QC guy definitely called in sick on the day this stinkburger rolled down the line. I really hope that we get more reports of good examples, I will wait until January and see where this goes because I really do want one.

And I'm glad to see that my eyes were not deceivng me with the Orange cap! :lol: :lol:

B24guy
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by B24guy » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:34 pm

Does the door open to the cockpit on the FOV P-39? And can the pilot figure be removed from the plane?
Darren

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:52 pm

B24guy wrote:Does the door open to the cockpit on the FOV P-39? And can the pilot figure be removed from the plane?
Door opens, I'm not sure about the pilot.
schizuki wrote:I'm holding off on this one until the inevitable Russian version comes out (I hope). Fingers crossed that they've got the bugs worked out by then.
Same here, I am hoping they get on the ball with this one. A Russian version would be great since the P-39 saw a lot of action wearing the red star on the Eastern front.

B24guy
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by B24guy » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:18 pm

Can someone who has the new P-39 model post some pictures? I would like to see it. Thanks. :D
Darren

Jagdpanther
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jagdpanther » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:27 am

I picked up a P-39 at Hobby Town Last night I really was not gonna get it but I did. Ill post pictures later.

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:12 am

Jagdpanther wrote:I picked up a P-39 at Hobby Town Last night I really was not gonna get it but I did. Ill post pictures later.
Cool! The P-39 I saw is still sitting at the shop and I gave it a good look again yesterday. I've always loved the Airacobra, the lines are just so beautiful, but this particular bird just has too many problems. Still, I was tempted but not to the point of wasting forty bucks on a lemon. I doubt he will get another one so I suppose I just have to wait. :cry:

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:28 am

Perhaps the production was delayed (on all the remaining FOV P-39s) to correct some of the flaws as noted above... At least that would be a cool wish :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Jagdpanther
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jagdpanther » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:34 pm

Here some quick pictures I took for you guys. There are some marks on the paint and the rudder is kinda loose. Not has many screw holes has the other models,except for some minor issues its a pretty nice model.

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:34 pm

tmanthegreat wrote:Perhaps the production was delayed (on all the remaining FOV P-39s) to correct some of the flaws as noted above... At least that would be a cool wish :wink:
This is what I am hoping as well.

Nice pics Jagdpanther. 8)

olifant

Post by olifant » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:50 pm

Thanks for the pictures. I think this looks great and from what I see the plate-sized rivets have been toned down.

I can't wait to get one. Jagdpanther, would you recommend?
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=375&i=sshqvdjx0.jpg][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.937d18e174.jpg[/img][/url]

B24guy
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by B24guy » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:59 pm

Thank for the pictures of the P-39. Does the cockpit door open? Can you take the pilot out? And where can I find one? I really would like to get one of these.
Darren

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:09 pm

Nice pics...
Glad to see the Aircobra doesn't have the problems that have virtually killed the line till now..
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

Quixote511
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by Quixote511 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:04 pm

I am juiced for this model. Though, I think they took the idea of a "pinks" crusher cap just a bit too far.
Aaron

My pathetic fantasy football team:

[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img458.imageshack.us/img458/1804/polocksia2.jpg[/img][/url]

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:21 pm

Excellent looking plane! I have one preordered and will just have to wait it out :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Jagdpanther
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jagdpanther » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:45 am

B24guy wrote:Thank for the pictures of the P-39. Does the cockpit door open? Can you take the pilot out? And where can I find one? I really would like to get one of these.
Your welcome. And yes the cockpit doors open both sides. I have not tryed to remove the pilot so I dont no if he comes out or not. Your best bet to find one would be a Hobby Town. And olifant I would recommend to any collector to get one. :D