Complete set of Dragon Armor and Cyber hobby listed on eBay

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
lightning2000
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Aberdeen

Post by lightning2000 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:50 pm

Even if the money could be raised, the real problem lies with refurbishing vehicles that have been laying out in the elements for decades. You'd need a dedicated team of craftsmen who would be willing to spend countless hours stripping off the layers of paint, repairing broken parts, repainting the vehicles to a museum-grade finish, etc. No small feat when you consider the number of vehicles/ artillery involved. Its one thing to appreciate a renovated piece of history, quite another to actually do the grunt work.

Lightning2000
www.themotorpool.bigstep.com
Create Your Own Battlefield in Miniature or Build Your Own Private War Museum...The Choice is Yours at The Motor Pool!

theToyFederation
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by theToyFederation » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:35 pm

Anyone ever been to Panzer Museum Munster. That place is incredible. Several large buildings hold most of the collection with a few East German items sprinkled outside. They have a German AV-7 sitting in a WW1 trench setting. A Panzer 1 that rotates on a turnstile and a murderers row of a Brumbar, Tiger 2, Hummel and Panther all decked out in late war 3 color camo that will take your breath away. Finally to add to the ambience the museum is part of a German base with a AFV gunnery range and when I was there you could hear the shooting and feel the vibrations. It was quite an experience.
www.thetoyfederation.com
"May the wings of liberty never lose a feather."

Tshintl
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Tshintl » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:45 pm

theToyFederation wrote:Anyone ever been to Panzer Museum Munster.
Is that the one by Stutgart in Germany? If so, I stayed just a few miles from there when visiting a few years back and had no idea until after I left that there was a good armor museum near by.
lightning2000 wrote:Even if the money could be raised, the real problem lies with refurbishing vehicles
Agreed about restoring them, a job for a diehard enthusiast that's for sure. At this point I'd be happy for them just to be under cover so no more damage can be done. I took about 350+ pictures while I was there and took some close up pictures of the interior on all the open topped armor and some of them are a real mess.

theToyFederation
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by theToyFederation » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:51 pm

Actually Panzer Museum Munster is in north central Germany somewhat near Hannover. The one I believe you are referring to is the museum at Sinsheim.
www.thetoyfederation.com

lightning2000
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Tshintl

Post by lightning2000 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:31 am

Hi Tshintl,
What really amazes me are some of the strange camouflage schemes on some of the German tanks at Aberdeen. I remember seeing one, I think it was a Panzer III Ausf. H, that had a whitewashed base coat with a rust colored topcoat that looked like it had been applied by a five-year old. Obviously, these arent pieces of artwork, but I was wondering how it was supposed to camouflage the tank. Was the enemy supposed to be reviled by the vehicle and hurl their cookies?

I'm not sure if this was done by a German crew during the war or an American team at Aberdeen attempting to bring some character back to their possession. If you ask me, just a simpe field grey scheme would suffice at this point, perhaps with the early war balkenkreuz (a la the Polish campaign). And I thought some of the Minichamps camo schemes were on the taudry side! :?

Panzers vorwarts?

Lightning2000
www.themotorpool.bigstep.com
Create Your Own Battlefield in Miniature or Build Your Own Private War Museum...The Choice is Yours at The Motor Pool!

Tshintl
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Tshintl » Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:00 am

There weren't many tanks with paint schemes when I was there. The JagdTiger had an interesting paint scheme and I believe there was a Hetzer with an interesting paint scheme, but the vast majority were in a tan primer looking color (at least the German tanks were it seemed). When you first enter the base they had two rows of tanks that were all restored and painted including a German Panzer III in Afrika Corp colors and markings.

They did have two 88mm Flak guns there, one was in the very back with all the other artillery and AA guns, but one was in the front parking lot and had been recently restored and had new tires and fresh paint on it and looked brand new.

I heard they have a German 251 halftrack but I didn't see it anywhere there as well as a Ferdinand that was supposed to be there but no where in site. I have about 350 pictures I took and if I can find a way to cut them down in size all at once (through Adobe photoshop) then I'll post some of the pictures.

JJVan
Corporal
Corporal

Post by JJVan » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:02 am

I went there a few years back, and just by luck, I ran into the Ferdinand on the way out. It was located by the train tracks and I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that it was being shipped out to another museum to get restored. Im not sure, but I read somewhere theres only 2 left in the world ?? The other in the Russina museum. http://www.jagdtiger.de/index2.htm?http ... ovies.html is a nice site with pics from most of the museums.

I read about saving the tanks all the time, but is there a official site to donate ? The site http://www.ordmusfound.org/foundation.htm has a few donation things, but I think something simpler like paypal and way where people can track the progress is needed. A common link and a common goal. All these WW2 sites talk about it, but it seems like nothing ever gets done. Between all the sites, and all the history fans, I'm sure something could be done. Hardest part is just getting it going I guess.

I visited here a few years back http://www.battleshipcove.org/bb59-history.htm and it was well worth the price. Id pay to see the tanks as well and knowing that the tanks will be saved for the future would be a bonus.

theToyFederation
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by theToyFederation » Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:26 am

The auction has been relisted. At least now we know what the reserve was on the first auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1
www.thetoyfederation.com

flpickupman
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by flpickupman » Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:34 am

Well dang. I bet he'd be willing to take 4 grand for it.. lol
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it.
-W.C. Fields