1:72 Collecting Question

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Re: 1:72 Collecting Question

Post by cjg476 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:52 pm

For me its hard to tell, I personaly think they are both about the same. I like the corgi packaging better then hobby master but on the diecast vehicles themselves I think they are about equal. I just started collecting though. If I was you I would pick the one you think shows the most features. That way you get more bang for your buck.

The corgi cockpit opens, they both look the same but hobby master gives you the divebrakes.

Im thinking about picking up the us army version the banshee myself, just for something different. I think it looks neat.
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Dauntless-----------------------[Cat]CplSlade
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

Dauntless
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Dauntless » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:15 pm

Probably just get both.

There's lots of different schemes for the Hobby Master, and I think only one for the Corgi, which is Midway.

The HM Banshee looks pretty sweet and is sometimes half the price of a HM Navy scheme SBD, so I'll probably end up with one eventually.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

snake

Post by snake » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:41 pm

I don't do 1/72 for the single engined fighters, but do have Stuka, Helldiver, and Texan/Harvard.

Corgi have a much larger selection in 1/72 props, but HM has only been around for a few years now. They also have a "budget" line called SkyMax.

http://hobbymastercollector.com/Skymaxa ... index.html

You can't really go wrong with any of these lines. :wink:

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:03 pm

Bookmarked it thanks.
Yeah the Skymax Devastator, Val are on the top of my list. The Devastator is as much money as a Hobby Master, but like the Val the only one out there available.

What's with that orange Pearl Harbor Val though. That's just unusual.

snake

Post by snake » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:49 pm

My pleasure, Dauntless. :D

The Devastator does get very good reviews, and people were very glad to see that it had the corrugated metal on the wings.

One of the models that consistently is highly praised is the HM Helldiver. Have one of these myself.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:10 pm

That is nice. 8) Intrepid?

The Avenger is nice also. Though I have read they got the Midway one wrong as it's missing the TBF-1 30 caliber cowling gun.

After I get all the early Pacific planes, I'll start on the late Pacific. Helldiver and Avenger for sure. You can get Corsairs and Hellcats all day long as so many different ones are made.

On another note, check out how high this Corgi "Redtail" is going for. :shock:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Tuskegee-R ... _500wt_956

snake

Post by snake » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:51 pm

Actually it is Bunker Hill. A pretty distinctive scheme, and one of the best looking, IMO.

Here is the Intrepid Helldiver.

HM has given the PTO collector lots of choices that weren't available previously.

And for the serious PTO enthusiast, there is also Marushin. 1/48 scale, and a heavy piece of metal. Not cheap, but they do a ton of Japanese aircraft. A real niche brand.

That Corgi "Red Tail" P-51 is a ridiculous price. :roll: Must be the hype from the movie.

gouchy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gouchy » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:36 am

Dauntless wrote:I have a question, this seems to be the thread to ask about quality comparisons, rather than starting a new thread.

I have been looking at the 1:72 Hobby Master Dauntless and the Corgi Dauntless Predator series.
The Hobby Master is definitely more expensive, but what makes it better than the Corgi? Are there marked differences in quality and features?
Looks like the canopy on the Corgi doesn't open for one, and no open air brakes. are those permanently open on the Hobby Master or movable?
Besides the differences, what's the quality of detail and accuracy of paint scheme?

Anyone got opinions? Thanks in advance.
I seem to recall word is that the Corgi SBD mold, is done by HM (or their factory) and HM re-used or might have improved it slightly for their own SBD but basically still the same mold. Maybe Snake might have heard the same rumour and/or can corroborate this from the diecast forums.

I sold my Corgi SBD without even taking it out of box as I bought the HM Midway & Coral Sea scheme and had to cull my collection. I don't know about the corgi features but for the HM, at least earlier releases, did not include any aircrew. The canopy came in a few pieces for either fully enclosed (one single solid piece) or open options (I can't quite recall but I was a little disappointed with the options, I gotta go back and check my midway one again and elaborate). The back 30cal was fixed "stowed" (moddable for the skilled) and the gunner cupola was made such that you have to butcher the gunner (you can buy pilot figs from HM sold seperately) in order to make him fit in there.

If you're looking at open dive brake options, they are all fixed "open". There is no optional piece for closed or neither are they able to be manipulated. So keep this in mind if buying open dive brakes scheme, it'll look funny if displayed parked on the carrier deck / shelf

That said, the HM SBD is a wonderful piece of diecast - great mold, good paint quality, good selection of schemes, workable bomb sling and still possible to get at affordable price. You can go wrong with it :D
"Be Water, My Friend..."

Good Trader: Tankace

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:50 am

Thanks for the info Gouchy

Same mold, that's interesting.
I did a little more digging, and that looks to be true. Flying Mule has close ups of them from the same angle.

Corgi Dauntless: http://www.flyingmule.com/products/CG-PR99411

Hobby Master: http://www.flyingmule.com/products/HM-HA0164
That's the Banshee with the air brakes closed. I guess they glued them shut on some models, like the Pearl Harbor SBD too.

The Hobby Master Midway version: http://www.flyingmule.com/products/HM-HA0102 (flaps closed)

Think I'd be happy with a Corgi also except the blue color seems to be a lighter faded look. The HM one looks a lot better, but is hard to get these days anyways.

gouchy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gouchy » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:56 pm

Dauntless,

Just dugged up my HM Midway SBD and gave it a good once over. The thing that disappointed me about the canopy was that the open option was only available to the pilot, the gunner portion is still closed. One way to go around it is to remove the back section of canopy and glue just the pilot's portion on. Or you can cut the the back canopy into 2 for maximum options.

Here are more HM SBD references with pics,

http://www.thediecasthangarpub.com/view ... 53&t=11195

http://www.thediecasthangarpub.com/view ... 53&t=11069

Here's one on ebay but shipping to US is expensive

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DOUGLAS-SBD-2-D ... 230fea7270

The Corgi SBD's colors are lighter, the blue/grey somehwere between Midway and Pearl Harbour colors
"Be Water, My Friend..."

Good Trader: Tankace

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:40 pm

Cool, thanks

I'm ok with the canopy, as they kinda look wonky opened and sitting on top of the back canopy. They don't actually slide back I assume.

I was primarily wanting one with the darker shade of blue anyways, and that's what bothered me about the Corgi the most.

I had forgotten about the Coral Sea version. That looks sweet. Both are hard to find, so I saved that seller, as the price plus shipping is what you would pay for a Midway SBD here in the states anyways, and he's got eight of them, and ten of the Coral Sea. The Skymax Coral Sea Devastator is easy to get right now, so I plan on getting that too, as it would match the CS Dauntless.

I like the fact that both have closed air brakes. That's kind of a weird feature unless you can position it in a dive.

You'd almost want a Carrier deck section or two for all these Navy planes. :? Maybe get one for the IJN Kate and Val too.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:34 pm

...so I got me a Skymax TBD-1 Devastator Midway version today. :)

snake

Post by snake » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:51 pm

Dauntless wrote:...so I got me a Skymax TBD-1 Devastator Midway version today. :)

And..... What do you think?

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:04 pm

Awesome...let me know if you like it, I might grab one too. I have an he 111 with torpedoes and a battle scarred one from finland coming and a coastal defense bristol blenheim this week. Im so excited having to wait is killing me. but they will all be here by thursday. I ended up ordering from aikens and ebay. Im happy with the prices I got them for.
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:32 pm

Whoops, I should re-phrase that, I ordered one today.
I'll let you know what I think when I get it though. It was the must have of all the must haves for me. Ever since I read the harrowing story of Torpedo 8. It's the lone survivor's plane even though it didn't survive.

Next up, a Skymax Val and Hobby Master Kate, an SBD, if I can find the ones I want, and probably another TBD, and some obscure Japanese planes from other makers.

snake

Post by snake » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:56 pm

Got about 5 of the Corgi Heinkels myself, including the latest torpedo bomber, and think you will like them. Corgi do a good job on their medium, and heavy bombers.

No Blenheim for me yet, but it is on the radar.

Let us know what you think when they arrive, cjg476.

Sounds like you are really expanding your Pacific theater collection, Dauntless. IXO/ Altaya do some of the more obscure Japanese aircraft, although they are a bit of a budget line. Like I mentioned, Marushin concentrate on Japanese subjects, but are in 1/48 and fairly pricey.

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:02 pm

Thanks snake for the info. I actually read on another site where you had posted you had gotten a couple of them. I like the mark IV blenheims better than the mark I, but Im thinking about getting that one too. Im also gonna pick up the HM beaufighter but cant make up my mind between the coastal command one it has a torpedeo attached underneath or the american one.

Another thing im trying to get but is hard to want to spend the money is a ju 52 ,specifically the greece marking one which is mostly all green with yellow. Its my fav but the only one I can find is on ebay and they want $150 plus shipping. Prolly isnt bad but I can get alot more with that price.
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

snake

Post by snake » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:04 pm

No problem cjg476.

More than happy to help out. :D

Got one of the HM Beaufighters myself, and think you would like this one as well. Looks like you are getting some nice models coming your way. I would go for the Coastal Command Beaufighter, as it is a British aircraft, comes with the torpedo, and Coastal Command schemes just look great. 8)

The Corgi Ju 52 is also nice, but that Crete one you want is probably the most desirable, and will cost you some money to get it. Good luck, she is a looker. Have the Russian Front "Where Eagles Dare", and minesweeper versions myself. Really wish Corgi would do the all NMF Ju 52, with the large swastika outlined in red version. Really screams pre war Nazi.

Great to see some of you guys picking up some 1/72 diecast. :D

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:08 pm

snake wrote: Sounds like you are really expanding your Pacific theater collection, Dauntless. IXO/ Altaya do some of the more obscure Japanese aircraft, although they are a bit of a budget line. Like I mentioned, Marushin concentrate on Japanese subjects, but are in 1/48 and fairly pricey.
Yeah just started so long way to go....

I was checking out the 1:72 IXO, Atlaya, and War Master Japanese planes.
So far I found a Frank, Oscar, Raiden, George,Tony, Grace (now that's an obscure one) and the Rufe which is inaccurate, but hey it's got floats. That's quite a few Japanese planes, I'm surprised.

I know Epap has been showing us pics of these planes for quite a while, but I'm just now paying attention.

I did see a 1:72 F2A Buffalo, but it's either pre-war or Finnish airforce so far. Was wanting a Midway version for sure (they actually shot down some IJN planes there) maybe another maker have to look some more.

The Marushins look good, but I don't think I'm going to go 1:48 if I can help it.

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:25 pm

Thanks Snake. I guess Im trying to get the ones I want first and work my way down the line from highest to lowest price with the ones I want. Fighters I think I will wait til flying mule does another big sale and puts them at a good percentage off. I want to start getting some hobby master vehicles like the opel trucks and things and build a nice airbase diorama. My wife even said she would love to do that cause it sounds fun. So hopefully I can get her to enjoy this hobby more with me. Also those heinkels I picked out because they were the two she loved the most and I love buying ones I know she thinks look neat. Makes each one more special to me.
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:30 pm

I received my heinkel torpedo bomber today and my bristol blenhiem coastal defense mk IV and they are beautiful and awesome. The heinkel weighs alot and so many guns sticking out, im afraid i may hold it the wrong way. Im definitely going to love this scale. Two more days until the finland heinkel comes in and a beaufighter will be heading this way soon. I ordered three of the planes from aikens and I could be happier with it.
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:35 pm

Well talk to Dave at aikens today, and he informed me that he sold out of the beaufighter I ordered. I got to talk to him for an hour and it was really cool. We talked about everything. So instead I ordered three different hobby master opel trucks to use in dioramas. Im happy with it. He even told me as soon as he gets one in he will let me know first. Cant beat that. Im ready to start building an airfield. I hope I can do a good job. :oops:
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

snake

Post by snake » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:48 pm

Glad you like the Heinkel, and Blenheim, cjg476. :D

Figured you would, and would have been most surprised if you didn't. It opens up a whole vast new scale for you, with lots of choices and manufacturers.

Big fan of the Corgi mediums myself, with the Heinkel being right up there. Always loved the He 111, probably due to the movie "Battle of Britain" which I remember seeing as a kid.

Good score.

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:10 pm

Thanks Snake, I do like them alot. 1:72 is perfect for me. With having a daughter now Im trying to find something I can get out on the kitchen table and enjoy without being ran over by her. Lol. I cant wait for my other one to get here thursday its killing me. I think this weekend I will begin diorama work and make them an airfield. :D
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:29 pm

Got my Skymax Devastator in today. Wow! 8)

The pictures don't do it justice. Usually when you see a 1:72 diecast plane you think the panel lines are going to be deep and exaggerated. The panel lines are thin and sharp, the corrugated wings are crisply detailed. All in all a great model.
I'm very impressed with Skymax models, with my first one. If these are supposed to be Hobby Master's "budget" line, I can't wait to get a Hobby Master to find out how much better they are. Probably a Midway SBD.

Was checking the availability of a F4F Wildcat in Midway markings, to complete the early Pacific War trio on a aircraft carrier, and there is one from Dragon that has the 1942 markings on it. Though it's a Guadalcanal Wildcat, it'll suffice nicely I think. http://www.flyingmule.com/products/DM-50198