Beginnings of my 1:144 aircraft fleet

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Re: Beginnings of my 1:144 aircraft fleet

Post by aferguson » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:06 pm

how's the Model Power Heinkel 111? I don't really like the Altaya one and the Cafereo is too hard to find. MP's is 1/140, which i can live with.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Dauntless
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Dauntless » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:04 pm

aferguson wrote:problem is Dauntless, i think you, me and THP are the only ones who read this thread...lol.
And so it goes with many threads in many forums. Seven pages is not bad. There were some guys from Kamfgroup. People don't know what they're missing. 1:144 interests me because there's no where else to get such unusual bombers, flying boats and transports.

I just put together a Blohm & Voss 138C Flying boat. My first Cafereo. Was intimdated by all the parts, struts and things, but the most tedious part was decals and tweezers. Most of the parts fit in their sockets etc, but the tail rudder struts had to be glued to hold them. Took about 2 hrs and most of that was positioning the decals. I enjoyed it. Think this is the way to go. All the parts are prepainted and snap together so that cuts down the time I otherwise don't have to build a model.
The propellers spin, the turrets rotate, not bad for under $20 and free shipping.

I'm really impressed by some of these plastic kits. The detail rivals many diecast planes.
The B-17 blows away Corgi, Dragon and Amercom hands down. 8)
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:55 pm

i agree, these inexpensive japanese trading toy kits are great. The only problem is hardly anybody is making them anymore. It's really just F toys left and they have slowed right down

I fear 1/144 has been a fad and is dying out. As i understand it there are no more 1/144 aircraft planned by altaya/amercom. So that leaves a couple of Dragons, a small smattering from F toys and a few model kits each year.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:36 pm

ok i think i have a pretty definitive answer on the size of the Hercules. It looks like it's 8.6 inches long and 11.5 inches in span. Which works out to about 1/136 for length and 1/138 for span. So about 4-5% too big, about the same difference as between 1/72 scale and 1/76 scale.

Proceed accordingly.

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:01 pm

aferguson wrote:problem is Dauntless, i think you, me and THP are the only ones who read this thread...lol.
I think you're right here, I think everyone's missing out here, 1/72 1/144 & 1/200 is all I buy anymore (excluding the 1/32 F-4) all I could ever want are in these three scales, aferg, I do think you should mix it up with a little 1/200 here and there, look at the link in my sig, to see some nice F-15's (go to blog on link) I've only got 6 1/200's and another on the way right now, but you would be pretty surprised in the verity of 1/200 out there...
A helicopter does not want to fly, it just vibrates so much that the ground rejects it

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:21 pm

Here you go, I think y'all will like this!
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem ... 3655177208
Also check out the model power planes on the flyingmule, I'm getting the 1/144 D-Day C-47 from there...
A helicopter does not want to fly, it just vibrates so much that the ground rejects it

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:51 am

i found one of those Hercules at a toy store when i was over at the mall this morning. So, the verdict is after measuring: that it's exactly 1/130 scale. 9 inches long, wingspan just over 12 inches.

It's too bad because for $9 it's really not a bad little model and with some work would look pretty good.

All there is in 1/144 is the Corgi, with big wing gaps and big price tag.

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:57 am

aferguson wrote:i found one of those Hercules at a toy store when i was over at the mall this morning. So, the verdict is after measuring: that it's exactly 1/130 scale. 9 inches long, wingspan just over 12 inches.

It's too bad because for $9 it's really not a bad little model and with some work would look pretty good.

All there is in 1/144 is the Corgi, with big wing gaps and big price tag.
They have all those NewRay planes up here at the museum/airport gift shop, the C-130 didn't look all that great to me, now that you say it's 1/130, it just looks bad :lol: but I do like the 1/72 jets, got the MiG-15 a few months ago for $12 probably get the F-84 next time I'm up there, or maybe one of the 1/48 jets.

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:53 am

Got the decals on my F-Toys F-105D it looks great, but the hardest part was the little yellow decal that goes around the nose, giving away the Memphis Belle II decals in the salvage yard if anyone wants them...

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:24 am

does anyone know if Bandai's 1/144 me-110 grey version comes as a night fighter, with aerials or is it just a day fighter?

JollyRoger
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by JollyRoger » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:01 pm

Hello all, my son and I have been collecting 1/144"s for well over 10 years. I could not believe the massive amount we had until I started taking pics for this thread. We have at least 1 aircraft from every company that made this scale. We think this is the best scale for the amount of aircraft that can be displayed at one time. I am sorry if some of the airplanes were displayed on previous posts on the website.

Now if you did not get bored looking at the pictures and got this far here is probably the tip of the year. go to this web site http://www.bcmini.com/id1.html when you stop giggling at the page that comes up look to the left. There are 2 items you want to click on. One is AIRPLANES and the other is F-TOYS. This is a wholesale company that started selling to the public. You will be able to buy F-toys fighters for $5 each or the bombers for $7-$8 each. The thing is you have to buy a whole unopened case. Hope you have fun looking.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:31 pm

Awesome collection Jolly Roger! 8)

Is that pretty much everything 21st Century Toys did in 1:144 planes?

I just got that Altaya "Stinky" A-26 Invader and also the OD colored one from a seller in England, nice ground scene.

The site you mentioned I ordered a case from them of the last F-Toys twin engine bomber set with more of the Jap bombers than anything else in it. I was after the Doolitle Raider and the "secret" desert B-25. Had to get the latter from another seller individually as it wasn't in the set.

The new F-Toys Attack Bombers set should be out soon with some Korean War A-26's.

JollyRoger
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by JollyRoger » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:18 am

Thanks Dauntless, from what I can tell that is the complete set from 21st century, singles and doubles. We probubly have another 2 sets out of the box's in different displays. They were a great base model to repaint and put on different decals. We were pretty lucky at one point. At the end of 21st's life ( when we didn't know they were closing) I came across Walmarts clearance asile and found a case of Zeros , case of P-47's and a case of tanks at a $1 each.

We also have the OD A-26 that goes with Stinky.

Yes it is a hit or miss with the F-Toys cases. They handel it as a collectng game in Japan. They call them blind box's so you don't know what you will get. I ordered 2 cases of the twin engine set from that site and got 3 Dolittle's in each box but no secret. I got a case that had the Buffalo's for X-mas for my son and it had the special Buffalo.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:19 pm

Three Doolittle B-25's is pretty good. That seems to be the best one in there. The picture of the set shows the secret B-25 to be a late war almost black one, yet another page is the desert version?
Sort of disappointed with the JU-88 canopy, and probably end up getting an IXO/ Altaya for display.

I have looked at the various F-Toys verses other makes and have been going back and purchasing them individually since they're not available in sets anymore.
Only wish I'd have bought them sooner as now many are not available. Particularly some of the bombers.

I did manage to score both F-Toys B-17G's, the silver and OD. From what I've seen they are better and more real looking than all the other 1:144 diecast and even the Cafereo Big Bird B-17E version doesn't look as nice around the cockpit area. F-Toys got it right. Other makes are ok but I can't get myself to buy any of the planes with painted cockpit windows.

None of the single engine sets yet, but I'll probably go down that road soon.
Which is the secret Buffalo, the Finnish one?

JollyRoger
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by JollyRoger » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:06 pm

The special Buffalo was the pre war with the yellow wings.

Yea the 3 Doolittle's in each box was pretty awsome. I did pick up a couple more with the thought of making them in a diorama on the deck of the Hornet! I started researching for the tail serial numbers and the nose art but it kind of pooped out for now.

I agree the B-17's are beautiful. I think CafeReo also hit the nail on the head with their B-24's. The panel lines are a bit deep but I can overlook that because the rest is gorgeous. Several of them made terrific base's for my son and I to re-decal in the markings of my fathers "Jolly Rogers" 90th Bomb Group squadron.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:52 pm

what's the difference between the Cando 1/144 planes and the Dragon Wings 1/1444 planes? Both are made by Dragon. They make an F-117 in both series but the Cando is $20 cheaper.

Does anyone have a Cando F-117 that can post a picture? I can only find in the package pics.

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:01 pm

JollyRoger, what brand are those Piper Cubs?

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:35 am

Right now, I'm for sure I'm not buying anymore JWings aircraft, the decals arnt worth **** they keep falling apart, unlike F-Toys decals that just slide right on w/o hastal..

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:04 am

Whoever what's them can have them, I don't think I'm cut out for the whole decal thing..

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:04 am

aferguson wrote:how's the Model Power Heinkel 111? I don't really like the Altaya one and the Cafereo is too hard to find. MP's is 1/140, which i can live with.
The MP-HE-111 is very primitive but is quite solid with no seam gaps. Its lower surface has very little detail and the two oversized bombs are---to me, at least, an eyesore. Here's a picture:Image

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:05 am

And the underside:Image

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:10 am

Epap wrote:
aferguson wrote:how's the Model Power Heinkel 111? I don't really like the Altaya one and the Cafereo is too hard to find. MP's is 1/140, which i can live with.
The MP-HE-111 is very primitive but is quite solid with no seam gaps. Its lower surface has very little detail and the two oversized bombs are---to me, at least, an eyesore. Here's a picture:Image
There's also this on in 1/144 that in MO is better.
http://www.flyingmule.com/products/DA-223075

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:12 am

Epap, those bombs are actually to scale.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:27 am

Epap, you think the Atlas He-111 is better???

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:38 am

JollyRoger wrote:The special Buffalo was the pre war with the yellow wings.

Yea the 3 Doolittle's in each box was pretty awsome. I did pick up a couple more with the thought of making them in a diorama on the deck of the Hornet! I started researching for the tail serial numbers and the nose art but it kind of pooped out for now.

I agree the B-17's are beautiful. I think CafeReo also hit the nail on the head with their B-24's. The panel lines are a bit deep but I can overlook that because the rest is gorgeous. Several of them made terrific base's for my son and I to re-decal in the markings of my fathers "Jolly Rogers" 90th Bomb Group squadron.
Ah, the pre-war Buffalo.
Now that would be something with all those B-25's on the Hornet. 8)
Was wondering what all those B-24's were in the case. I do see the Jolley Roger tails now (maybe a close up pic of one of your Jolly Roger Cafereo's?)
Looked for a Cafereo Liberator to buy but none available.
The IXO/ Altaya one is not too bad for a late model J with the nose turret (see pic earlier in thread) I just picked up the OD one also from a seller in England.
There is the Hobby Master D model which looks outstanding, but is expensive. I do plan on getting at least one of the desert schemes. Probably Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, and most likely the upcoming marine version.

The IXO Altaya He-111 is not too bad guys. If you can get past the inaccurate paint. I just got it, but I think the desert Mediterranean version much like the Model Power scheme would be better.
I'm shying away from getting the D'Agostini for now though the scheme looks good for a Battle of Britain and the price is decent.
Last edited by Dauntless on Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.