1:72 Collecting Question

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Re: 1:72 Collecting Question

Post by cjg476 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:27 pm

Snake you know I want too...I wish someone here had one...it would be so much easier...but I am all about rare and exclusive...and that desert scheme with that beautiful red tail fin says corey add me to your cllection you know you want too...i will sit on it for another day...but you know i done shot myself... :lol:
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Dauntless-----------------------[Cat]CplSlade
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

snake
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by snake » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:05 pm

Nothing to it. Just as easy as ordering from a US distributor, and you guys in the US have no Customs worries.

I have ordered models from Europe, Japan, China with never a problem.

The only thing you have to be careful with when ordering from Britain, is that any package that is more than 2kg, gets very expensive. Under 2kg and pretty reasonable.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:49 am

It just takes a little longer to get here from Europe. I'm still waiting on my Witty P-38 and the IXO Ki-84 from Great Britain and Spain. They were ebay buys so they will eventually get here, or they deal with paypal like everyone else.

I'm fixing to get nearly all the remaining IXO IJN planes from one seller in GB in one fell swoop.

Don't know what else you can do when everyone in the US is sold out of discontinued planes, but they still have them in Europe and other places.

I ordered a Val (the green one) from Hobby Link of Japan, and with the FedEx option it got here as fast as any US seller.

On another note, about the new pre-order Corgi Lancaster. According to Wikipedia this Avro is supposed to be modified:

Towards the end of the war, attacking special and hardened targets, other variants of B I Specials were modified to carry the 21 ft (6.4 m) long 12,000 lb (5,450 kg) "Tallboy" or 25.5 ft (7.77 m) long 22,000 lb (9,980 kg) "Grand Slam" "earthquake" bombs: to carry the "Grand Slam" extensive modifications to the aircraft were required. The modifications included removal of the mid-upper turret and the removal of two guns from the rear turret; removal of the cockpit armour plating (the pilot's seatback) and installation of Rolls-Royce Merlin Mk 24 Engines which had better take-off performance. The bomb-bay doors were removed and the rear end of the bomb bay cut away to clear the tail of the bomb. Later the nose turret was also removed to further improve performance. The undercarriage was strengthened and stronger mainwheels, later used by the Avro Lincoln, were fitted.[4][17]

I just don't know if I want one without all the typical goodies, and no dorsal turret? If the Corgi "Tall Boy" Lancaster is accurate, it'll be missing a few things one would want from typical "iconic' bomber no? :?
The picture for it doesn't show much of anything, just the underbelly.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

snake

Post by snake » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:38 pm

Those extensive modifications were only done to the Grand Slam Lancs, Dauntless. Weighing in at a massive 22,000 lbs, not surprising they wanted to lighten the aircraft somewhat.

The Tall Boy was a relative light weight, at only 12,000 lbs. :lol:

So this new Tall Boy release should have all the "standard" options of the regular bomber.

Here are the three specialty bombs that the Lanc carried. Tall Boy, Dambuster, and Grand Slam.

snake

Post by snake » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:46 pm

One more thing.

Congrats on picking up a bunch of your missing IXO IJN aircraft. 8)

But contact the seller in Britain about the shipping. Any package over 2 kg, and the price skyrockets. Get him to ship in less than 2kg lots.

He should be able to provide more info, but something you should be aware of.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:14 am

Ah, so it should have all the regular Lancaster goodies and all the turrets then, plus a nice sized bomb in there. Those are some huge bombas! :shock: I've seen a clearer picture of the pre-order and there's a bomb all the way in that bombay. I wouldn't buy one without the dorsal turret though, Thanks

I haven't pulled the trigger just yet on the Japanese planes. I did e-mail him first as per auction instructions, he e-mailed me back with a 32 pounds ($) shipping cost (have to translate that into dollars) He's got plenty of each IJN plane, so I can wait a few days.

I did just score my first Corgi a little while ago. The Fairey Swordfish from the Arc Royal. Sold out everywhere I've checked. $39 "buy it now" with free shipping I couldn't pass it up. That's better than retail if I could find one, and it's the most iconic one from the sinking of the Bismarck. I read the reviews on it as one of the best diecast planes that came out that year, with folding wings and a big torpedo. Been wanting one for a while but couldn't find one. Most of the other ones are just meh paint schemes too. Hey I crossed over to the ETO. :lol:
Reference: http://www.flyingmule.com/products/CG-AA36301

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:08 am

Oh Dauntless...its a very slippery slope...Ive already filled one five shelf display with all planes and vehicles. I thought this hobby would be easier to collect but its just as bad if I have so much there is no room. :lol: :lol:

That swordfish is nice. I may end up getting one. Ive been collecting the gloster gladiators. I dont know why, but I like them. I think it may be because I built models of them when I was a kid. So now I like having them in diecast.
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

snake

Post by snake » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:54 pm

Good call on the Corgi Swordfish, and that is a great buy. It also keeps with your naval aviation theme. I don't have it myself, but as you said got great reviews, and it was from the Ark Royal, and involved with the sinking of the Bismarck. Definitely the one to get. :wink:

Think you should be pretty happy with it.

And as cjg476 has discovered, there are so many themes, and planes available in this scale, that it is easy to get sidetracked, as you both are finding out. :lol:

Did some more looking about the upcoming Lanc " Getting Younger every day", and looks like it doesn't come with the dorsal turret after all.

Not sure if that is a deal breaker for you, but this particular aircraft also took part in the sinking of the Tirpitz, so still has a naval connection. Would go well with your Corgi Ark Royal Swordfish, that was involved in sinking the Bismarck.

http://www.bombercommandmuseum.ca/s,tweddle.html

I am trying to talk you into pre ordering this one :lol: , at $149 with free shipping for you guys in the States. The standard Bomber Command ones can be pretty expensive on the secondary market, but if you only plan on getting one Lanc, go for the one that you really want.

Great to see you guys getting in to the 1/72 scale, and being excited about all the releases you are picking up. :D

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:09 pm

Arg!! :cry: I dunno that's kind of a deal breaker without that birdcage turret. I might have to take my chances. :?
Thanks for the further research Snake.

On another note, about an hour after buying the Swordfish, I won a Hobby Master Vraciu Hellcat. It's the one that's been sold out everywhere too. Couldn't find it anywhere, even overseas, so I'm happy as It was on my short list. $39 plus shipping. Though shipping at $12 was a little high, I had to have one.
reference: http://www.hobbymastercollector.com/HA1 ... raciu.html

It is a slippery slope with so many planes to get, but sure is a lot of fun. Going to have to cross the pond occasionally to snag some ETO planes when the deals are there though. The Corgi Gloster Gladiator is cool looking and generally cheap Cjg. I guess they did see some action in WWII in the early years like the Swordfish.

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:21 pm

Well I did it guys I went ahead and snagged that flying tigers exclusive 109. Im so excited cant wait to get it.

I would hold out for one of the others then Dauntless if you dont like that lancaster. Also remember though this may be the only dambuster version out there to get.

The gladiators are neat in the fact they made a group of three called the faith hope and love gladiators. I would love to get all three of them if I find them.

I agree completely, this is alot of fun. I have a growing collection and I love how many different planes and versions I have. I got a chance to show my father in law tonight and he thought they were so awesome. This is a new hobby I feel right at home with.

On a side note, Im glad I have you guys to enjoy it with. Its nice talking about this stuff with people who are also enjoying it.
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

snake

Post by snake » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:31 pm

Think the Gladiators are "Faith, Hope, and Charity" cjg476. Very happy to hear you pulled the trigger on that Gemini Aces/ Flying Tigers exclusive Me109. A rare model, that will only be more expensive to get later on.

Some diecast can be an "investment", but I wouldn't recommend buying models to make a profit at a later date. Just enjoy having a coveted model, and be thankful that you aren't paying the prices that they are going for in the future. :wink: I have quite a few that I am happy to have got at the time, that now go for serious money.

And since you guys brought it up, a "Doolittle" B-25 is one of them. Had two, but traded one for the hard to find/expensive Corgi Apollo Sea King diorama.

One small word of advice for both you cjg476, and Dauntless. Be patient on those hard to find/ expensive releases you want. Don't pay top dollar, as many times you can find a deal if you keep looking. Although this doesn't always work out. I waited too long on a particular Corgi B-17, and these now go for $500+.

Good to hear your father in law is appreciating your new hobby, cgj476. Kind of a guy thing, but always satisfying when people really appreciate what you have on display. Got to be good to have your father in law on board, but it is the mother in law that you need on your side. :lol:

Hold out for the Lanc you want, Dauntless. No point in forking over good money for something you are not satisfied with. Perhaps Corgi will release another Bomber Command one, but they do tend to move pretty slowly, so you might be in for a wait.

Again, glad to see the both of you jumping right in, and enjoying this scale.

Little surprised more members here aren't doing the same. It is "Small" Scale Headquarters, after all. Just saying.

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:58 am

Your right on the Gladiators Snake. Glad you knew what I was talking about. I would say you did great on the trade with the doolittle. That diorama is awesome. And I never buy for a profit anymore. I think 1/72 is a great keeper. I just like the thought of having something that is limited edition because I know I have something that only so many people have. I think thats cool.

On an off note, I realized that one of my gemini aces had a blank collectors card in it. Looked like it missed printing or something. All my others ones had then this had just a plain white card with a glossy look on one side. I thought how odd. Now I dont know what number he is. :(
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:21 am

Wow! That Apollo diorama is cool! 8)

What you say is true Snake about not buying these for investment purposes, but when I look at the small number of editions made, it definitely makes you wonder. Most of the Skymax and Hobby Master planes are under 1000 made for each scheme. This rule goes for much of the other makers too. I waited too long for some like you and will have a hard time finding them. The ones that are gone or discontinued at least hold their value, and popular ones like the B-17 as you say are bringing astronomical prices. You can still get Yankee Doodle though, but it's a kind of a cheesy paint scheme.

I will still collect 1:18 and 1:32, but I got tired of waiting for anything new. The customizers here are having a grand ol' time, but us guys looking for anything to buy pre-made and pre-painted are just hanging out here like vultures looking for some scraps to talk about. The new Merit SBD is a silver lining, but that's it in WWII 1:18 aircraft. Zip, nothing nada in 1:32 airplanes unless you have the time and skills to build something. The armor guys at least get something made for them occasionally.
It's kinda funny I prefer anything 1:32 or larger in plastic because you can hang them up. I wouldn't do that with my only 1:32 diecast Corgi Hurricane. It's just too dang heavy to enjoy like that. I'm afraid to even pick it up it's so heavy. :lol:

I'm finding out just how well some of these little 1:72 planes are made, and the diversity of what you can get is astounding. I seriously doubt much of what I have bought will ever see the light of day in pre-built larger scales. Hence why I'm diving in now. I haven't regretted it so far. I'm just irked at myself for not doing it sooner.

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:20 pm

Dauntless wrote: I'm just irked at myself for not doing it sooner.

I couldnt agree more...
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

gouchy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gouchy » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:45 am

Wow, been gone for a few days and I've missed so many posts here! But its really cool to have an active diecast thread going, though granted its just us few fellas making a lot of noise :lol:

It'll be even cooler to have more sshq members chime in, I'm not convinced that there there are so few of us here that collect diecast

Snake,
Jolly good on you for all the wise advice and encouragement. :D I wished when I first started collecting diecast that I knew to look for a forum to join and had some gurus to guide me. Then I wouldnt have made a few bad rookie decisions.

Cgj,
You sold your entire 1/18 collection to feed your addiction? I can understand when there are times that we just run out of space and funds and somethings gotta give but the pleasures of having 1/18 is also unique in itself. I hope if havent liquidated all of them that you would re-consider keeping a couple of your favorite 1/18 pieces.

Congrats on your aquiring the GM BF-109, thats a real beauty and I had no idea they were still available, thought they'd be long sold out by now. You should consider also getting Geminis' Spitfires and P-51Bs, still relatively dirt cheap considering the quality, good schemes and comparing other manufacturers prices.

I really dig their Spits and I finally have a 2nd release clipped wing Spit incoming 8)

Dauntless,
Good to hear your Wildcat order is moving along after a kick on Toy-Fed's butt :D

With regards to CG mediums and heavies, you can never go wrong pre-ordering unless you really don't like the scheme. These dont get released at the rate of say HM and most get sold out fast and prices increase. Not saying you should get them for investment but there is really minimal risk as these usually go up in prices and not difficult to resell if you need to redirect your parked funds.

I do understand your preference on the Lanc as I was the same, wanted a regular standard Lanc. The last Corgi one was the Leonard Cheshire AA32617 and that was a good old standard Lanc. If you look around maybe you might still find it available at not too ridiculous price.

Don't give up hope on the Doolittle B-25 either, I knew they'd be expensive but I just kept searching and I got really lucky and surprised when a reputable seller listed on ebay with a nice BIN so don't give up.

The Corgi B-25 "Oh-7" which is derided by most collectors for its ugly wet mop weathering, well I love it :shock: I got it around the same time as my Doolittle but didn't say anythin for fear of ridicule. Now I'm not ashamed anymore :mrgreen: Reminds me of the lyrics... "She's ugly...but she sure can cook!"
"Be Water, My Friend..."

Good Trader: Tankace

gouchy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gouchy » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:01 am

My deal with the Corgi B-24 "Strawberry B**ch" fell thru, lost in transit. :cry:

Seller was kind enough to refund me in full. But what a letdown, was really looking forward to receiving this B-24 as it was the only B-24 scheme I wanted and it was high on my wanted list.

Still not totally convinced about the HM 1/144 B-24 yet, will wait and see before deciding to go or not to go with a smaller scale.
"Be Water, My Friend..."

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:48 pm

I remember when that Apollo Diorama was new! I saw it at several stores when I lived in England during 2003. It was in England that I got into Corgi and '03 was a pretty good year. Long time ago now as well...

Should have bitten the bullet on one of the Corgi B-17Gs, but never did when they were affordable... I keep hoping they'll release one again.

The one Corgi item I'm really glad to have gotten was a 1:32 scale Mosquito. I paid under $150 for mine, but I have a feeling they go for well beyond that now.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

snake

Post by snake » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:05 am

Good of you to chime in as well Tman.

Sorry to hear that your "Strawberry Bitch" fell through, Gouchy. She is a real beauty, and would go well with your B-25 OH-7. Keep looking, and you should find one for a reasonable price. Probably my favourite B-24, although the Coastal Command is pretty special too. About time for Corgi to release another B-24, I think.

Thanks for the compliments on the Sea King Apollo diorama, guys. It is pretty special, and unique in that it comes in diorama form. Hard to get for a reasonable price, and it cost me a duplicate Doolittle B-25, but a good deal for both of us, as we both got something we really wanted.

Dauntless, if you think your 1/32 Corgi Hurricane is heavy, try a Mosquito. :shock: The box it comes in approaches a 1/18 model, and it is all metal. A huge piece of diecast. For anybody that doesn't collect 1/18, this is probably the biggest diecast model they have. Tman can back me up on this. :wink:

If/when Corgi release another B-17, I would really recommend you guys pounce on the pre order for one of these. F or G, all good. F is a better model, but the G with chin turret looks mean. As long as it is a decent scheme, go for it. You won't regret it. And you can always sell it for more than you paid for it.

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:50 am

There is no doubt I will jump on a B-17, just need them to make a good one
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

gouchy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gouchy » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:13 am

Just on this board there are at least 3 of us here wanting a Corgi 1/72 B-17
The market is just itching for another release now, bet it sells out too.

Just received my Ixo/Altaya Draken and Tony, they're fantastic and better than being called gap fillers for me 8)
"Be Water, My Friend..."

snake

Post by snake » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:44 am

Ooh, you picked up a Draken. 8) Very nice!

I am really on the fence about getting this one, and the Mig 31. I know I should, but still waiting for the Aviation72 version to compare.

Nothing wrong with IXO/Altaya, and I have about 5 of them.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:34 pm

I would like a B-17 too. I like the G model with chin turret and an OD green scheme.

That Draken looks cool.

I got a Corgi B-25 "Heavenly Body" today. My first bomber.

My Hobby Master Vraciu Hellcat and Dragon Models "Thatch" Wildcat came in. I"m impressed with both of them. Surprised how well the Wildcat is done compared to when I've seen a few Dragon Hellcats in Tuesday Morning a while back when I wasn't collecting 1:72, and I wasn't impressed with them as much as this F4F.

The Hobby Master Hellcat though is much better.

snake

Post by snake » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:05 pm

I was watching that one on Ebay, Dauntless.

So, was that you that won this one?

You should like it, and "Heavenly Body" consistently ranks at or near the top of collectors favourite B-25 schemes.

Welcome to the Corgi "mediums" club. 8)

I think you will find it to be a great scale for these aircraft, and looking forward to your impressions when HB arrives.

And I would again highly recommend a PBY Catalina at some point, Dauntless. It will fit right in with your PTO theme. I know it is on your radar, and you are only waiting for a good deal to come your way. :wink:

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:50 pm

That was probably it. Though there was a couple of them up at once. I didn't expect to win it, but I ended up beating the last bidder by 38 cents. :? Looks like more Star Wars items need to be listed to compensate for this little chunk of metal :lol:

After looking at all the Corgi B-25's that one was my favorite. It's got all the cool stuff from the later models like fuselage guns and a the bigger tail gunner station. A big fan of OD green over any silver types. The only other ones I would have bought was the Doolittle or Marine version, but this one still looks better than both.
New Guinea Pacific too.

You can still get the desert B-25 version at retail, but the "mop wash" weathering on it turned me off. A good candidate for an Epap corrective repaint would fix it though.

I want to get a Catalina. I like the tri-color late war Pacific the most. The best deals though seem to be the McCain 1942 model that doesn't go too high. I'd be happy with either.

I think my next buy will be a Helldiver. I can put up with the open dive brakes, because I decided the model is so cool. Probably get the Intrepid SB2C to go with the Intrepid Vracui Hellcat I just got of the same 1944 tri-color scheme.

gouchy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gouchy » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:08 am

Ahhh Dauntless you the one who won the B-25 Heavenly Body from UK!?

I was gonna bid on it but of all the stupid things to do I channel surfed after my regular show ended and got caught up watching Hell's Kitchen to pass time and I totally missed the auction end time! I was so pissed off at myself and now if I see this tyrant Gordon Ramsey it'll remind me of this :evil:

I'm glad (I think? :lol: ) that you were the one who won it Dauntless, for a good price too, no telling how bad it'll go for us both if I've gotten in on the bidding. Heavenly Body is the only B-25 left on my wanted list

The Vraciu Hellcat is one of the best out there. I only have this HM cat now, had the Minsi one too but sold it and now maybe regretting it. I think HM would not do the Marianas Cat Mouth scheme because of Corgi's Predators version. This is an iconic scheme of the Hellcat and you should consider getting this too for your PTO collection Dauntless

Snake, no worries about the Draken and the Mig-31, you should go for it. I doubt we'll see a diecast Mig-31 anytime soon and the AV72 Draken should be in grey scheme which is different for the Ixo release which is in a quite dark green camo with a huge white "32". Mine is still in the box but giving it a once over in my novice eyes, I can tell its a solid job barring a crooked nose antenna, which the pic you posted seems to have too. Can't tell if the landing gear are well done until its unboxed.

The Draken is really very cool and so unique shape among jets 8)
"Be Water, My Friend..."