Kit versions of Opel trucks

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
EnemyAce
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Kit versions of Opel trucks

Post by EnemyAce » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:53 pm

Picked up the kit versions of the Opel Blitz and Opel Maultier 3 ton trucks in Phoenix to-day. The truck is in all tan cammo with white outline cross on door and tactical markings on fender. The Maultier halftrack is all gray with black cross on cab roof and green & white unit marking on fender. They have the same metal content as the premade versions. Very nice pieces, I like that the Blitz is marked so you can use it as either a DAK or Europe vehicle (tan/dunklegelb - there actually is a very small DAK palm tree on the side of the bed missing the swastika - just the leaves and the bottom part of the trunk. Weird - why not either leave it off or just make it a whole palm tree?). I like these trucks and hope we see a box/cabin bed version (ambulance or command) and an AA version (I think there were a few of these with flak guns in back).
Last edited by EnemyAce on Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rowsdower
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Rowsdower » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:59 pm

Sounds cool. I really like my pre-built Maultier so I might check out that kit if I run across one.
This message brought to you in part by Adderall.

Fox Tare-28
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Fox Tare-28 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:18 pm

Sweet. I should pick up one of those Opel Blitzes next time I'm out at Wal-Mart. The ones I've been to don't have the Maultier, but I have seen a Sherman and M7 Priest in some of their model sections. As for the DAK markings, I'm sure you could scrounge a decal from a 1/35th scale decal sheet (A little overscale I know), or you make one from scratch.

Jagdplastic
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Kit Versions of Opel Trucks

Post by Jagdplastic » Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:57 pm

Do all of the Opel Blitzes in kit form have tan camo? I've been waiting for a tan/camo version to show in pre-built. Thanks.

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:41 pm

Is the quality of the kit version model lower than the pre-built? I mean, does it have the same level of detail and what not. I've looked at them a few times, the '88 in particular but hesitated to buy one.

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:05 pm

Can we see a pic of one???
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

blurx7
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by blurx7 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:21 am

These were mentioned back in March on the recon thread.
They are identical to the pre-built ones in almost all respects. The only two differences are the changed paint schemes, and the lack of a figure.
The Truck is now a desert Tan version, but without the camo that adorned the previous desert Maultier.
The new halftrack, however, is the exact same gray that was on the preassembled truck, so the two look great together.
Very nice pieces. I usually only buy one of any particular paint scheme but I have been very tempted to pick up extras of these!
Geoff

Jagdplastic
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Jagdplastic » Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:30 am

Well, based on what I saw in this thread and full of curiosity, I went out and got one of the Opel Blitz (sp?) kits and it was gray (or grey for our British friends). I'd wanted the tan version, but it was not to be. So... I'll take it back in a week or I may just use a little panzer yellow spray on it to simulate a hurried repaint from gray (grey) to yellow.

I'm off to the North Carolina coast and, hopefully, I'll score some of the 21st Century product that we can't seem to get here.

EnemyAce
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by EnemyAce » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:13 am

All of the boxes of the kit versions showed the Blitz truck in tan and the Maultier halftrack in gray. I only got one of each and they were as pictured on the box. They are as detailed as the pre-builts with lots of fiddly bits like the tools which need to be applied. Very interesting if some of the original prebuilt cammo schemes are in the kits. A person could combine the tan truck and cammo halftrack and get a cammo truck and a tan halftrack!

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:12 am

Hmm, the 88 kit has been sitting at my neighborhood WM for awhile, maybe I will pick it up since I never saw a pre-built 88. I will keep an eye out for the trucks as well.

KAMIKAZE

Post by KAMIKAZE » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:18 pm

The kits in San Antonio are tan as well on the Opel Blitz.

Mark
I'm a legend in my own mind.

Jagdplastic
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Jagdplastic » Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:05 pm

Just got back from Southern Shores, NC on the Outer Banks. The WalMart there had just gotten three each of the gray Maultier and the tan Opel Blitz in kit form. As reported earlier, the picture on the box top accurately depicts the color of the vehicle within the box.

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:12 am

Hmm, the 88 kit has been sitting at my neighborhood WM for awhile, maybe I will pick it up since I never saw a pre-built 88.
I say go for it, they are very nice little pieces, I have a couple of the all grey versions as well as the tan with earth brown camo version, and in my opinion they compare very favorably with the pre-built versions. As for the Opel kits they just showed up at a local WM and I picked up the grey one, it has not come out of the box yet, but if the pic on the box is any indication, I expect this will be a nice vehicle. They also had an all plastic M4 Sherman painted overall Dark OD green with some light blotches of black painted here and there along the hull sides, not camo mind you, just some light spots of black, which I suppose are intended to be some kind of weathering...?? The other odd thing about the Sherman was that it had white stars of varying sizes painted all over the place, one was right on top almost dead center of the turret.....weird. :roll: If I get a chance tonite I will post some pics of it, if anyone would like to see.
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

grunt1

Post by grunt1 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:23 am

You can also swap the parts around fairly easily to make some interesting variants.

viewtopic.php?t=6653&start=0&postdays=0 ... ight=blitz

So far I have eight different trucks from four kit styles.
-----------------------------------------------------------
-------- Need a list of everything 1:18? --------
---------- http://www.sshqdb.com
--------------
---- Built by the community, for the community ----
-----------------------------------------------------------

My Store: http://www.battlegroundmodels.com

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Tue May 01, 2007 5:27 am

Sweet work Grunt, very nice indeed. :)
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Tue May 01, 2007 7:15 am

Well, can't find any of these kits at any area WM, just the old Chaffee and Sherman. No big suprise there. :roll: