Quickie review - 21st Panzer III

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by tmanthegreat » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:21 am

I found one of those a while back last year and I agree its a great tank :D I already had the S1 32x Panzer III L in the "panzer-gray" cammo, but I like this one better! It is hard to get a figure into the turret hatch, though.

This particular Panzer III goes very well with the host of 1:32 scale North African Campaign products out there - mine is currently in a little display with my 32x "Snake" JU-87 Stuka, "JG-27" Bf-109F and 32x Afrika Corps German troops. It also looks great sitting alongside the FOV M3 Grant and Matilda Mk II tanks 8)
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

demonclaw
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by demonclaw » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:31 am

I wanted that Panzer III for a long time now since its the only german africa vehicle out there( in that scale ) , but like all the other 21stc's models its horrible compared to FOV's ones . Theres no weathering , very little detail and avarage paint schemes . So I'm still thinking about it

I know these are meant to be toys but it would be nice if 21stc could make some collector editions too for military enthusiasts

MIGMADMAVIS
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by MIGMADMAVIS » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:40 am

Nice Review, I think I might Have to go get one of those :lol: :lol:

-Tobin
Great Traders List:

hworth18
raiderad16
razor17019
momaw nadon
jmd250
kimtheredxd

blurx7
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by blurx7 » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:45 pm

demonclaw wrote:I wanted that Panzer III for a long time now since its the only german africa vehicle out there( in that scale ) .......
Actually, there is an earlier version which, though a weathered gray, is stll marked as DAK with appropriate emblems.
Geoff

c44
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Cold Steel in the hot desert...?

Post by c44 » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:16 pm

Re: earlier version, yeah, I think it was released as part of the Cold Steel line & wasn't too easy to find, I never saw one at WM, but that don't mean much...but for the price the new one is a good value...
C44
...Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see...

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:52 pm

Thanks for the review. I picked up the DAK PZIII and the #112 King Tiger from WM the other day. I haven't even taken them out of the box yet. I'm going to weather the PZIII, make it nice and dusty. I'm not sure if I will keep the King Tiger or sell it though.
This message brought to you in part by Adderall.

KAMIKAZE

Post by KAMIKAZE » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:00 pm

I have a few of those and they really shine. I would kill to have one in 1/18th scale.

Mark
I'm a legend in my own mind.

Panzer_M

Post by Panzer_M » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:42 pm

I got an extra DAK PzKw III L if anyone needs one.

Will trade for a Porsche Tiger

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:36 pm

My WM has one of those Panzer III 50L.

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:17 am

It's a great little model in my opinion, and doing some weathering on it should not be too difficult. As for the solid end on the barrel, there are two ways you can address this little problem, one is to simply dab a small bit of flat black paint or even some black permanent marker on the end, it's better than just leaving it as is. The other option is trickier but do-able if you are careful, just take a very small drill bit and carefully drill into the end of the barrell about an 1/8 of an inch, preferably by hand, but I suppose you could use a small power drill or Dremel tool on low speed if you are very careful, the trick is not to go too deep.
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:05 am

ostketten wrote:As for the solid end on the barrel, there are two ways you can address this little problem, one is to simply dab a small bit of flat black paint or even some black permanent marker on the end, it's better than just leaving it as is.
That's what I did on mine (as well as my gray version of the same tank). I actually dabbed some of the marker ink on my index finger and thumb, then rubbed them around the end of the barrel to create some "weathering" caused by firing the gun - I also colored the end of the barrel solid black. It came out looking pretty decent 8)

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:06 pm

I used an X-acto knife. Stick the blade in and sort of whittle away carefully. I will probably go over it with some black as well.

Panzer_M

Post by Panzer_M » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:30 pm

tmanthegreat wrote:
ostketten wrote:As for the solid end on the barrel, there are two ways you can address this little problem, one is to simply dab a small bit of flat black paint or even some black permanent marker on the end, it's better than just leaving it as is.
That's what I did on mine (as well as my gray version of the same tank). I actually dabbed some of the marker ink on my index finger and thumb, then rubbed them around the end of the barrel to create some "weathering" caused by firing the gun - I also colored the end of the barrel solid black. It came out looking pretty decent 8)

caption:

DXXX, Sir we're bogged down in Heavy carpet.
what! it's not showing on my palm pilot.
inferior, Japanese technology mein herr

grunt trekking past, "least your boots still have the soles left" dxxx tankers.

luftpanzer

Post by luftpanzer » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:40 pm

WOW, I dont belive it. Is that an actual zwastica on the decals? How did that pass through the cenzorship? Or did you place those on there. :shock:
Back At ft campbell KY Formally of Ocala FL

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:57 pm

That is a swastika actually printed on the tank. This tank, and the origional weathered gray Panzer III E with the DAK markings had the swastika on them. I guess the fact that it is imbedded in a palm tree got it by the censors :wink:

rose4472g
Corporal
Corporal

Post by rose4472g » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:38 pm

I've got the "early" III and the IIIL. The L is pretty sloppy. If you look closely it's EXACTLY the same model as the "early" III except for the mantlet, gun, and turret bustle. Even the extra boxes and such are exactly the same in exactly the same place, lame. The vision hatches on the turret sides are not found on the L nor is the conical periscope on the turret roof. The upper front hull plate should have a spaced 20mm plate tacked over the base armor, this is really visible because it "counter sinks" the bow MG and drivers vision slot. The rear deck is different too. I really like the "Early" III. the L was a disappointment. Looks like a "let's make a quick buck" effort.

David

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:48 am

The L is pretty sloppy. If you look closely it's EXACTLY the same model as the "early" III except for the mantlet, gun, and turret bustle.
Maybe so, but I am unaware of anyone else who is producing one of these in this scale at all, let alone for 15 bucks. For that kind of money I can put up with the inaccuracies until something better comes along.
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:53 am

ostketten wrote:Maybe so, but I am unaware of anyone else who is producing one of these in this scale at all, let alone for 15 bucks. For that kind of money I can put up with the inaccuracies until something better comes along.
I agree! It's a great model for the price. I did a double take when I first saw the DAK PZ III at Wally.

rose4472g
Corporal
Corporal

Post by rose4472g » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:01 pm

My problem is they make the effort, sometimes. How hard was it to get it right. New mold for the turret, mold the 20mm plate and glue it in place over the existing hull This would look better anyway). You could still have 80% comonality with the earlier tank and still have it look at least close to correct. And when you guys say you don't care you give 21st permission to not care. If we call them on the bad stuff maybe they'll make less of it. I payed $15 for this tank. Not much. I also payed that same price for my M7, the other Pzkw III, my 88, two Pzkw IVs, a Mobilwagon, and even less for a M18. I think I got my money's worth on all those models, why should I get less with the IIIL. We should insist on quality products from these companies, not encourage them to cut corners. My verdict, 21st take the time and make the effort to do it right. They've established that they can, it should be expected.

were are my meds?
David

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:37 pm

when you guys say you don't care
Never said I don't care, I said I'll have to live with it until something better comes along that won't break the bank, there is a difference. When you start saying "Well, the M7 was only $15 and I got my moneys worth on that....why not the PzIII L??" My response to that is you are comparing apples to oranges. The other thing to consider is this: since most of our 21C models are based on somebody elses kits (Tamiya, Italeri, etc.) the inaccuracies you noted in the Pz III L are more of an indication of a crappy kit than they are of anything 21st Century did. At any rate, everyone is entitled to their opinion, sorry you are so unhappy with the Pz III L.

rose4472g
Corporal
Corporal

Post by rose4472g » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:01 am

ostketten wrote:
when you guys say you don't care
Never said I don't care, I said I'll have to live with it until something better comes along that won't break the bank, there is a difference.

The effect on what's available IS no different. We tolerate junk, buy junk, heck, hollar how happy we are with junk, what is 21st going to do? Easy, they'll continue to cut corners. I do it two, bad habit, grab the box and don't look! What's the new Firefly going to be like? A model of a Firefly or some compromise?

Apples and Oranges? Comparing a 1/32 scale AFV from 21st Century Toys with a 1/32 scale AFV from 21st Century Toys? Looks like apple/apple to me.

Crappy Kit? It's a pretty good kit of a Pzkw IIIe. The problems not with the kit it's the occasional unwillingness to follow through. Does 21st make its own molds at all. They could resolve almost all my cretiques by doing one new part for the turret and one for the front hull. We are probably talking less than 10% of the models mass! Heck, I'm already looking at doing the hull plate myself! If they had put the hull plate on I might not have noticed the turret problems! Basically, who vets their stuff? Modelers or bean counters?

People from 21st do read these forums. When good stuff comes out we should hurray and let them know we're buying it! Look what's happened with the 1/32 aircraft! They are VERY cool! They've gotten better! Are there faults, yup, but they've kept them relatively small. They need to hear crtical reviews when something's not right. Better for us AND 21st Century.

David

rose4472g
Corporal
Corporal

Post by rose4472g » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:06 pm

Some times they do a FABULOUS job. I have several 21st models that are awesome. I'll probably never buy a FOV 88. The 21st century one I have is great. THere are places to cut costs. The vehical we're discussing here was a good oppertunity to put something new and cool out while only investing in about 4 new parts. FOV does dumb things too (Panther). I think we need to point out when they don't do a good job as well

David