21st vs FOV opinion

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
Bhall243
Private First Class
Private First Class

21st vs FOV opinion

Post by Bhall243 » Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:10 pm

I was hoping to get some input. I'm a new collector and would like to know which is better 21st Century or FOV for 1/32, detail and display only. It seems 21st century is about $8 cheaper than FOV.

Please reply with you opinion on which is the most detailed reproduction of the 2. Thanks.

immeww2
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by immeww2 » Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:16 pm

FOV has a lot more items in this scale than 21st. As far as detail and display, the FOV gets my nod IMHO. FOV offers dioramas depicting war scenes whereas with 21st, you have to be the creative mind. But don't overlook 21st, their products are very well made and deserve consideration as well.

jrs
Corporal
Corporal

Post by jrs » Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:47 am

I swing the other way! And that means I like 21st over FOV. I guess its because I like the more toy associated with 21st. It reminds me more of the toys I had as a kid, only better. Thye do mix well thats for sure!

olifant

Post by olifant » Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:46 pm

I love the 21st century 32X line but I must say that FOV beats them hands down. The level of detail is much higher and they just seem to look more "real". I keep hearing how much more FOV is, but I figure if I am going to spend $20 on a 21st century AFV and $8 shipping, what is an extra $10? For the extra 25% I feel I am getting a much better replica.

I have had good luck on e-bay by bidding low and many of the internet dealers (bigboyswartoys.com and wartoyz.com) have run sales and even free shipping. My last purchases were a FOV Tiger from e-bay and a Jagdpanther and Kanonwagen from an internet dealer for $19, $28 and $23 respectively plus shipping. Is that really too much more?

Darrell
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Darrell » Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:19 pm

I'm glad to see you starting into the collecting. It isn't all that expenseive, given some collections. I like both, both have their good and bad parts. If you are into collecting toys, 21st is the better on the two. If you are into modeling, the FOV is the better. I have found the the 21st is 1/2 the cost of the FOV. I have to glue the small parts into the tank, otherwise they will get lost. In my colliction, I get one or two FOV of each, and I like to get 4 each of the 21st. Not all the time, there are some 21st that I only want one each. Don't forget New Ray, not as detaled, but a lot cheaper.

I think, over time, you'll know your likes and dislikes, so it sould bet easier. Have fun, thats the idea, right?

Darrell

donnieboy
Sergeant
Sergeant

21st vs. FOV opinion

Post by donnieboy » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:29 pm

Bhall243: IMHO FOV beats 21C. As was mentioned by others, the FOV stuff is more detailed and has more accessories and diorama components. Their machines generally have a more "weathered look". The 21 C plastic and Cold Steel stuff is nice, (especially their Panther tank) but the Cigar goes to FOV. BTW I'm not a FOV sales reptile!
Go Starbuck!

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:34 pm

I'd have to agree that FOV beats 21c in terms of detail, accessories, weathering, etc. However, 21c has generally had the greater level of functionality, especially with the American armor, which usually had removable turrets and the ability to place sitting figures in the driver's hatches as well as the commander's. Then there are the newer 21c vehicles with the opening engines, storage compartments, gun details, and the M113 with the full interior. It is only with some of the newest releases - namely the T-34 and M-26 that FOV armor has included all opening hatches as well as engine detail, making for some very awesome 1:32 pieces. 21c also carries the most extant buildings, has the largest figure selection, and the 1:32 aircraft. 21c is also the more price-friendly version, where you can get a great tank for half the price of a similar FOV tank.

I do like the way both lines seem to compliment each other, each making their own unique pieces - at least in the WWII arena. I'm thinking of the FOV Kubelwagon, Schwimmwagon, MB Jeep, Zundapp Motorcycle, M-16 Gun Carriage, Matilda, King Tiger, T-34, M-26 versus the 32x M-5, SDK-222, PAK-40, 88mm Flak cannon, 8-ton primemover, Panther, M-18, M-24, Wirblewind, and Mobelwagon, among others. Save for the 21c M113, FOV has the only modern vehicles in 1:32 scale, and therefore some of the best.

luftpanzer

New FOV for 05

Post by luftpanzer » Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:16 pm

Sad to say when I recieved the dealer,s catolog and price list several months ago I was disapointed. There are only 2 new models out this year as far as their armor gos. Everything else is reissued under different paint . BUT! They are coming out with a new line of 1/72 Scale armor and infantry and also 1/32 scale and 1/72 scale aircraft. I wish some one would do something different. Like self propelled arty ( Nashorn. Elefant.
M7 Preist ) ext.[/b]

ltcbj

Post by ltcbj » Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:02 pm

For me it really depends on what you are looking for.
The 21stC are beautifully made, quite tough even though they're plastic and great for play and really nice for show. There are lots of working hatches and few pieces to fall/break off and get lost. They are easy to modify and rebuild in lots of ways. I have never been disappointed in a 21stC purchase's quality and playability.
The FoV are like an ex-girlfriend of mine. Very beautiful to look at and expensive to keep but play was problematic. It was too easy for something to break, or get lost, or simply the tracks would come off. Or you'd get too close and notice that things just didn't fit. (and) There was no place to go because the manufacturer didn't back the product (the metaphor begins to breakdown but the concept remains solid). But put it on the shelf and admire- they're made for that. I have regularly found manufacturing/packaging flaws in the FoV series and have passed on buying items because of obvious damage in box. I have also had to fix items because they were simply not manufactured properly.
The bottom line for me is that the FoV are taking advantage of their marketing and manufacturing by geometrically expanding their line and their pricing to take advantage of, well, us. Certainly their range of items is growing and if I didn't plan on handling them and was personally related to the U.S.Mint I'd probably buy some more; since neither is happening I lean towards 21stC. IMHO....
"The only constant is change. Often short change. Learn to accept.": Noah Vaile www.dinosaur-toys-collectors-guide.com
[img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c315/photbug/image6.jpg[/img]
On your mark! Get set! Lunch....
Want your own website? PM me!

luftpanzer

Fov vs 21stC

Post by luftpanzer » Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:30 pm

Dont forget, FOV is distributed by panache place, Who by the way deal in a lot of toddler and baby toys. So military toys is not their main focus.

corpbob
Sergeant
Sergeant

FOV vs. 21st Century

Post by corpbob » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:27 pm

I wouldn't discount either line, I own them both. But for overall quality I like FOV. Most of FOV's stuff looks like a nice, dressed out model done by someone who knew what they were doing. Much of 21st's stuff looks like a model completed by someone still learning how to finish and paint models. If I were that good at painting and finishing models, I'd prefer 21st on a cost basis alone, though.