Painted plastic GI's from Conte -- pics

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
Law
Corporal
Corporal

Painted plastic GI's from Conte -- pics

Post by Law » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:15 pm

OK, not the painted plastic GI's that we've been promised since.... oh, since just before the war ended, I believe. I may have to check that. (I kid, I kid)

No, these are the unpainted plastic GI's that have only recently shown up (at my shop, anyway), I painted a set up and putt them in a K&C ruin, and they look mighty spiffy, if I do say so myself.

I kept working on the figures and now I think they were better before, I went too far. I kept messing with the colors trying to get them as authentic as possible, but I probably should have just left them alone when they looked a bit brown -- the colors looked good, close enough, and the detail looked excellent. Now I wish I'd stopped where they were in these pics...

Anyhoo, I've got another set or two in progress now, and of course with the way these are packaged, I have some spares, so I'm taking another shot at "Sarge" and some of the others as well... (I forgot to get a good shot of Sarge, btw, which is why his close-up is just on a shelf, without the benefit of the supercool K&C piece...)

Here's the link to the pics:

http://www.dwarvenforge.com/dwarvenforu ... 380#p22380

Hope you enjoy 'em!

Law

KAMIKAZE
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by KAMIKAZE » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:06 pm

I like the dude with the two machine guns.

Mark
I'm a legend in my own mind.

luftpanzer

Post by luftpanzer » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:21 am

Those are cool. What paint did you use. A while back I did some Conte Germans using tamiya and polly s paints. But I noticed has i handled them the paint rubed off.
Back At ft campbell KY Formally of Ocala FL

Law
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Law » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:46 am

I use a fluid acrylic from Golden -- since I primarily paint on canvas, I don't buy special paints for miniature/54mm painting, as that would get far too expensive. I just use the same stuff for everything.

I haven't had any trouble with paint scraping or wearing out, and I haven't treated these with a coating to protect them. It's pretty durable stuff. That said, if I were to scrape them, deliberately trying to remove paint, I know that I'd be able to -- this is not completely fool-proof.

After I've painted up the newest lot, I'll probably post some pics of the final, final versions. (I've now picked up 4 of the 10 sets, giving me a total of 22 out of something like 27 possible poses -- so I've got very nearly a complete set of these new figures)

Law

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:15 pm

The toning (highlighting) and colors you used are excellent, very well done indeed. The only suggestion I might make would be an overspray of Dullcote to kill the shine which is pretty evident in the pics. Other than that, great job!
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"