New FOV at Target

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
blurx7
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by blurx7 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:38 pm

Found the FOV 1/32 Lee today...finally.
It is a nice piece, considering it as part of the "action" series. No weathering, or small details like those found on the Grant, such as the tow cable and hanging side canvas pieces. However, it surprised me that they did go to the trouble of altering not only the turret, but also the hull. Where the Grant has guard metal over the treads, this is missing on the Lee. The overhang front and rear is different, too. Yes, it is rather plasticy looking, but compared side by side with the Lee from NewRay, this is a masterpiece. I know that is not really saying much, but once this model is fixed up with weathering for the "Enthusiast" edition I expect it will be quite comely.
One side note concerning the tank commander. The skin paint used is so tanned as to make the figure appear to be African-American. Perhaps this is just my figure, or unintentional, but it is certainly the first time I have seen a 1/32 figure like this. Is it a first? My history in the area of military integration during the war is spotty to say the least. Were there African-Americans commanding M3 Lee tanks?
Geoff

Hanomag
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Hanomag » Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:39 pm

From Wikipedia:

"The 761st Tank Battalion, was a United States Army tank battalion during World War II. The unit was made up of black soldiers, who by Federal law were not permitted to serve alongside white troops. (The US Army did not officially desegregate until after World War II). They were known as the “Black Panthers” after their unit's shoulder sleeve insignia. Their motto was “Come out fighting”."

Their first action was Nov 7, 1944, so I doubt they would be in Lees.

I would imagine if you spent a year or so in the desert you would be looking kinda dark too. :D hope that helps....

-H

rose4472g
Corporal
Corporal

Post by rose4472g » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:48 pm

Corgi does a M4a3 (76) of the 761st in 1/50th.

blurx7
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by blurx7 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:51 am

Hanomag wrote: I would imagine if you spent a year or so in the desert you would be looking kinda dark too. :D hope that helps....

-H
Thanks! I guess he just has a healthy tan!
Geoff

ostketten
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by ostketten » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:41 am

Don't know if these are really new, but it is the first time I have seen them in my AO.... Action series US Willys Jeep and Amphibian Normandy 1944, $9.98 each. A great value for these in my opinion. Oh yeah, found the Lee tank too, but I don't personally care for the way it looks with that big yellow star on the turret, dunno if that is historically accurate or not, but it just does not appeal to me, and I will pass on this one.

Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

Hanomag
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Hanomag » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:45 pm

Yea...I've seen those here and there around Elkridge/Glen Burnie.

If you look at American armor in africa you'll see the yellow star in alot of pictures.

-H

blurx7
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by blurx7 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:41 pm

Anyone remember which one they had Bogey driving in Sahara? Was it a Lee or a Grant?
Geoff

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:49 pm

If you look at American armor in africa you'll see the yellow star in alot of pictures.
Yeah Hano, I don't doubt it for a moment. My guess is that it had something to do with visibility (ie. recognition friend/foe) in the African desert wastes. I seem to remember reading somewhere that amber (yellow) is the color that is most readily perceived by the human eye, so the yellow star makes perfect sense in that regard.
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

Hanomag
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Hanomag » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:02 pm

I work for SHA....EVERYTHING is yellow. The clothes, equipment, the trucks.....not a color I'm fond of anymore. I guess it's good thing for me (and the tankers) the color most easily seen is not pink with purple swirlies.

And as fars as Humphrey Bogart goes.....

He played an American serving in the British 8th Army at Tobruk as part of an American expeditionary force. The cover of the movie looks like he is standing on the tank and next to the turrent, which looks to be a Lee. The poster for the film shows the tank front end up,going over a hill...so of course we can not see the top of the turrent :roll: , but the tank does have US markings (white strip matter of fact)...so again..I would say Lee.

-H

EnemyAce
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by EnemyAce » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:11 pm

Lullabelle! That's what the name of the Lee that Bogey drove in the movie Sahara was. It actually rivalled Bogey for being the star of the film. Good flick. I now want a Lullabelle M3 with a Bogey fig!

COLROZ
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by COLROZ » Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:39 pm

I got the FOV M3 Lee at Toys-R-Us last week. I have the NewRay Lee as well. The FOV tank is NOT the same vehicle as the NewRay. The FOV is a little larger since tthe NewRay stuff seems to be closer to 1/35 scale while FOV is 1/32.

Now I just have to change the name of one of the tanks from "Kentucky" to "LuLu Bell."

rose4472g
Corporal
Corporal

Sahara

Post by rose4472g » Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:58 pm

John belushi did a remake ofSahara a few years ago. There was one actor in the new version that stared in the first-the tank! Same exact vehical in both movies :shock: For what it's worth I think the Lee's just funny lookin', the Grant's just so cool.

David

bboc
Corporal
Corporal

Poor Lee/Grants

Post by bboc » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:24 pm

I finally saw the Lee and Grant at the Greatland Target in Columbia, MD. Hanomag must have taken all the Stuarts. But the paint job on the Grant is so bad, I couldn't believe it. The Lee is better, but the over all effect just doesn't match the previous FoV stuff. I passed on both.

KAMIKAZE

Post by KAMIKAZE » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:43 pm

Lee's in San Antonio area as well.

Mark
I'm a legend in my own mind.