New Ray Airplanes

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
Wieslaw
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

New Ray Airplanes

Post by Wieslaw » Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:20 pm

I bought recently (in Poland, at "Lidl") four airplanes 1/48 from "New Ray" for my sons: a P-40, Dewoitine D-520, MiG-3 and F4U Corsair. Probably you know them. They are, of course, much more toys than scale models (e.g. the undercarriage in P-40 and F4U is to retract like in Spitfire...), but they look quite good. I think the best is the painting of the D-520 (e.g. the French markings are on the bottom wing surfaces too). My children have since several years Spitfire, 2 Bf-109Es, P-38, Zero and P-51D from New Ray, too. There were some mistakes in the painting, so I had to correct them...

Happy New Year!
For our freedom and yours

p51
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Post by p51 » Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:51 pm

I still pick these up whenever I see them. Not very accurate, but they look awesome. And at 1/48 scale... you can't beat what you get. I bought 6 of the blue nose P-51Ds and have them all hanging on a nail via the tail wheel well on a wall. Looks quite impressive. (you can only do this to the P-51s and the P-40s)

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:03 pm

wow....never heard of the Dewoitine. Anyone know where there is a picture? I've seen this line of planes and as long as you leave the u/c retracted and squint a bit ( ;) ) they look pretty cool.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:09 pm

Found a pic: http://i17.ebayimg.com/03/i/03/08/ce/d7_1.JPG

Are there more than one paint scheme offered for the models in this line? I think the MiG 3 came in both white and green painted versions. I always liked the look of the white one. I believe the Dewoitine in the picture is a Vichy French machine (i think that's what the yellow and red stripes indictate?).

Looks pretty sharp. Would be cool if they offered a battle of France version too.

p51
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Post by p51 » Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:45 pm

I have both colors of that plane... I'll try and get photos up.

donnieboy
Sergeant
Sergeant

New Ray Airplanes

Post by donnieboy » Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:43 pm

Weislaw is right IMHO:the Detwoine 520 is the best of these New Ray planes. All it needs is landing gear covers and it would be a contendah! It comes in the Vichy paint scheme and an earlier one also. The Spitfire isn't bad either-it's a late-war Mark with a five-bladed prop, big rudder, and bubble-canopy. The chin airscoop is kind of funky and again, no landing gear covers. The rest are okay except for the Bf 109, which is an unmitigated disaster!
Again if you're bottom feeding, don't forget the Yat Ming and Motor Max series, both mostly in 1:48 scale, nicely-painted, and reasonably priced.
:)
Go Starbuck!

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by tmanthegreat » Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:05 pm

Those were New Ray? Must admit that I never really looked at the box, thouh they are cool planes. In the days before XD and BBI I collected a number of these. My favorites were the P-38, Zero, and ME-109. I liked the stands - where you could pull a string and the prop would spin.

Wieslaw
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Re: New Ray Airplanes

Post by Wieslaw » Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:03 am

Yes, the New-Ray Spitfire model is the late version, Mk XIV, but the brown and green camouflage and the British markings are from the beginning of WW II (and the bottom of wings and fuselage are dark green!). The RAF code letters on the fuselage are "RF". It is the code of the famous Polish 303 Kosciuszko-Squadron, which never used Spits Mk XIV. I understand it's only a toy...
For our freedom and yours

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:28 am

given they are 1/48 scale it would be a simple matter to repaint and redecal using the plethora of aftermarket decals available in this scale.

vmf214

Post by vmf214 » Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:27 am

The paint and markings on the 109's are plain garbage. I did see in Canada a few years ago a 109 with a semi-accurate paint job with proper insignia on both the fuse and wings. It was in a grocery store toy section, wish I would have gotten it. The box was slightly different but did say New Ray on the reverse.

Coreyeagle48

New Ray

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:53 am

Hi,

So you guys are aware of this, the New Ray airplanes are no available in the form of pre painted partially assembled model kits. I saw most of the airplanes in this form including the fighters of the modern era and the WW II birds.

They are available in the kit form at Hobbytown USA. I saw the modern fighter jets there as well as the Zero, P-40 and P-51. I also saw the bad 109 and D520. There were others too but I don't remember them. The kits are also being marketed by Testors in the Micheals craft stores. I saw the P-51 there. If that is not enough. The kits are now available under the K-Line brand name (I assume for train dioramas). I saw the planes in these boxes and kit forms in the local independent hobby store.

So if you guys like painting them and detailing them. You might want to pick these up. It would be easier if they are apart to start.

Corey