New Corsair and Stuka review..

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
hworth18
Officer - Brigadier General

New Corsair and Stuka review..

Post by hworth18 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:31 pm

I received the new S4 Corsair and S3 Stuka from my friend Tman today and I have to say that I am definitely impressed!!!

The Corsair looks great even before you assemble it and it went together without any difficulties whatsoever.. The paint is just fantastic and the pilot detail, landing gear, and choice of ordinance is much better than in previous releases (bombs and drop tanks).. Yes, it even includes the antenna and pitot tube in the baggie for those who were wondering.. I love the folding wings and the overall look of this great bird that makes another fine release from 21st Century.. One BIG Thumbs up!!! :D

The other aircraft I received was the S3 Stuka with the Yellow cowl.. It is also impressive in the box and was much easier to get out of said box than the Corsair was.. The details are really nice and the only difficulty I had was fitting the wings unto the fuselage, which is somewhat like putting the wings on the P-47 (if you know what I mean).. The main landing gear come seperate and the Stuka also comes with the choice of 4 smaller bombs or 2 drop tanks for the outer wingtips.. Overall, it also makes a very nice bird when assembled and is a great addition to my 1/32 family.. I would also give this one a BIG Thumbs up!!! :D

I have to say that these just keep getting better and better, so much that I think we might be getting more XD converts once they realize what they are really missing out on... :wink:
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:02 pm

LOLOLOLOLOLOL...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh, man....tears of laughter are streaming down my face.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:26 pm

Totally agreed, Hworth! The 32x Corsair alone outdoes its 1:18 cousin. If 21c had included moving control surfaces on the 32x plane, I would rate it nearly as good as the 1:18 BBI version :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:55 pm

aferguson wrote:LOLOLOLOLOLOL...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh, man....tears of laughter are streaming down my face.
Give in to the Dark Side Aferg.. You know you want too.. All it takes is one plane, just one little plane... :wink:
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

nooker21
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by nooker21 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:26 pm

I've given into the dark side, and it's addicting. I said I wasn't going to pick up multiple versions of the same plane, but that macchi with the messed up wing insignia needed a partner, so I got one more. Now, if only I can find the S1 Stuka, and the Big Hog Corsair, I'd be close to matching my 1/18 collection in a little more than a month...

Sentinel
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Sentinel » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:02 am

Oh yeah, this smaller Corsair will be VERY hard to top.

Great review.

8)

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:42 am

"...just one little plane..."

Yes, 'little' being the operative word......blah.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

easy8
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by easy8 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:16 am

Great review Hworth, but you're killing me man, absolutely no sign of Corsairs here in Iowa, and I'm chomping at the bit to get my hands on one! We did, however get the new 1/48 planes, I decided to hold off, I do not need another scale!

easy8
"Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men."

--General George Patton Jr.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:32 am

They went to 2 different Wal Marts in my area, including the repaints. I guess that was some vindication for none of the stores in my area EVER getting the Avengers, despite those big birds going to even more remote places all across the country :twisted:

warhawker
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by warhawker » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:52 am

tmanthegreat wrote:
They went to 2 different Wal Marts in my area, including the repaints. I guess that was some vindication for none of the stores in my area EVER getting the Avengers, despite those big birds going to even more remote places all across the country
Dont worry, we are starting to see the Avengers here in Texas BUT no 1/32 Corsairs & Stukas in our WMs of any kind! Its a flip!

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:58 am

The Wal Mart distribution system is always funny :lol:

But I thought I heard reports of them starting to be found in Texas... so you may not have to wait long. These 32x planes often seem to move across the country rather quickly :)

Quixote511
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by Quixote511 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:02 am

I didn't even know those guys had been released yet. I am mainly play with the XD, but I like buying the 32x guys to hang from the ceiling in the classroom. They fit better with the 9 foot ceilings and look right. I guessI have new prey to hunt.
Aaron

My pathetic fantasy football team:

[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img458.imageshack.us/img458/1804/polocksia2.jpg[/img][/url]

tko211
Fan Club President - All Go Toys
Fan Club President - All Go Toys

Post by tko211 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:04 am

When I saw the Corsair and Stuka at WM I was shocked! I didn't expect to see them that fast. Like Hworth said, even in the box you can't deny how beautiful these models are! I bought them both ran home and wasted no time liberating them from the boxes. I was ready to love these and from my conversations with Roy I had pretty high expectations. I gotta say that both of these relaeses are really going to lick the 32x market into overdrive! I have a funny feeling that 07 could be crazy cool!

Sentinel
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Sentinel » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:49 pm

Agreed!

The 1/32 S4 VMF-111 "Devil Dogs" Corsair and I made the rounds this past holiday weekend to visit some friends. These guys are life-long WWII model plane makers/hobbyists/fans - and to a man - have always had luke-warm feelings towards the Corsair - just like I used to have.

Let me tell you that they were just about fighting to get their hands on this magnificent plane first! There is simply something about the combination of proportions. color scheme and details on this one that make it very special to most who see it. I knew that before I showed it to them, and they simply confirmed it!

The yellow-nose 1/32 Stuka came along too, but received nowhere near the attention.

8)

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by krieglok » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:56 pm

I found a desert scheme Stuka. Very nice model. I too, found the wings a bit tricky to get in to place. After all the fitting work, they end up being a little on the flimsey side. I will probably take them off and re-attach them with some glue to stiffen them up. I cant wait to get the green versions. Just as an aside note, I was thumbing through a copy of the book "The War In The Air" by Gene Gurney and I found a photo of a wrecked Stuka at the Derna Aerodrome in North Africa. It has the same camo scheme and the number on the side is "A5+EL" as opposed to the 21st model with "A5+IL". I wonder if this was their inspiration for the paint scheme?

I also found the latest P40 repaint. The paint scheme(South African?) is similar but different from the Brit versions. The nose art is well done and the camo blue on the underside is striking. My sample had a registration problem with the roundule printing on the bottom right wing. The orange dot was off center a bit, but I can live with it.

No Corsairs yet. Maybe next week, according to the nice lady at the local WM toy dept. She scanned the Stuka box and the hand held computer said next week...

TJ

Panzer_M

Post by Panzer_M » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:40 am

still nothing here in Florida.

Sentinel
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Sentinel » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:30 pm

Hang in there - They're worth it!

:wink:

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:19 pm

That's cool the South African P-40 is already out only days after being announced on the 21c website. Sounds like it came with a good case-mate in the form of the desert Stuka. I wonder why you got the new P-40 and not another Corsair repaint?

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by krieglok » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:38 pm

Are there two Corsairs now? I was suprised to find the new P40 too. It just started showing on Ebay, so I guess they did hit the WMs in a few places.

TJ

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:59 pm

Check my post in the 32x Xtreme Wings Checklist thread, about half way down on the page linked to:
viewtopic.php?t=2468&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180
I have spotted two versions of the Corsair and Stuka at a store in my area. All paintschemes looked great and came in case assortments of 3 of one type of Corsair and 3 of one type of Stuka. Hope this helps!

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by krieglok » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:57 am

Do the 32xCorsairs have folding wings? Speaking of working features, I was surprised the Stuka didnt have a "dropable" bomb.

We still need an Avenger in 1:32 scale. I love the 1:18 version, but as my son states so simply, "it is too big to play with."

TJ

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:01 am

Yes, the Corsairs do have folding wings! They actually fold rather nicely and look correct. They have a different hinge assmbly than the 1:18 version. I was surprised by the Stuka bomb as well, but it was really a minor omission in my book, considering all the other great details present on these planes. An Avenger in 1:32 would be awesome - it would be a complex tooling like the 1:18 version, however seeing the new level of detail on the 32x Stuka and Corsair gives me a ray of hope that we might see this plane and some larger examples :)