21st "Brummbar" Question on camo

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
metalwar
Corporal
Corporal

21st "Brummbar" Question on camo

Post by metalwar » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:33 am

How accurate is the diagonal stripes on the skirting and has anyone changed thiers?

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:06 am

i've never seen any german armour painted quite like that. Looks a bit goofy IMO. I'd be very tempted to repaint it, if i collected this scale that is.

Actually, i'd probably remove them altogether. I like the look of the Brumbar without its skirts and i've seen lots of pics with them partially or totally missing.

:)
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

metalwar
Corporal
Corporal

HELP...Brumbar 911

Post by metalwar » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:16 am

O.K. I have totally messed up my Brumbar. I wanted to get rid of the camo side skirts...but to make a long story short I bought a can of testors spray paint to try and repaint the body after filling in the holes from the side skirt brackets. The paint must have been old because it kept belching out globs of paint and clogging. I want to sand it smooth prime it and I am going to try my had with a cheap air brush. My question is can I get by with a base coat of the German green and then brown camo over it or some variant there of. My concern is with this mid production model does it have to have the base coat of the Dunkelgelb or can I get by with the green or rust primer as a base with some other camo scheme.

Thanks for any advise as I have a big ugly mess right now.

cruizin2000
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by cruizin2000 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:33 am

What about painting it the basic German mustard yellow and then doing the zimmermit on it? That would look cool and cover up your spray paint problems.

Or you could use brake fluid, and some patience, to take all of the paint off and start fresh.

Good luck and let us know how it turned out.

C2000
Attack!!!!

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by krieglok » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:45 pm

Ah yes, brake fluid works great. It takes the paint off and doesnt hurt the plastic. You can submerge the dis-assembled vehicle in a pan of fluid and let it soak for a day. Rinse it in the sink with water and remove the loose paint. You can keep soaking and rinsing till it is gone. Use an old tooth brush to get in the hard to reach areas. Remember, let it soak. Patience is the key here.

If you use Testors spray paint, make sure you shake it well and then boil some water in a small pot. Take the pot of water off the stove and then put the can of paint in the water for a few minutes. Dont put the can in the pot while is still on the stove or it may burst. The spray paint will work finer if it is warmed that way. Just remember to wipe the water off the can so you dont get drops in your paint while you are working.

Spray paint does work, it just takes a little practice.

TJ

hworth18
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by hworth18 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:09 pm

Junk the Testors.. Go to a local Hobby Shop and buy Tamiya spray.. It goes on thin and dries quickly.. On a LATE Brummbar, you want a base or primer coat of Hull red, then the overcoat would be Dunklegelb (Dark Yellow) (NOT Mustard yellow, that is for North Africa (DAK)) Any camo applied would be in Dark Green (or Olive Green (NOT Olive Drab) and Dark Brown..
Hope this helps.. :D
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark