Display cabinets

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
Rogo
Sergeant
Sergeant

Display cabinets

Post by Rogo » Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:37 pm

Has anybody come across a source for a good display cabinet that is not super expensive?
I need to buy one that can hold my Corgi 1:72 bombers, etc. so the shelves would need to be at least 12" deep and maybe 6' tall overall.

Thanks for any help!
Rogo

Hoverbug
Corporal
Corporal

Storage

Post by Hoverbug » Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:30 pm

About the best balance of space and economy that I've found are the "Billy" system shelves at Ikea.

http://www.ikea-usa.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... attype=sub

They are much more modular than they page would lead you to believe initially, and there is much you can do with them to adapt to just about any size collection.

They're about 11" deep, but I've thought about joining some front to back to really get some depth.

WGP Klaus
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Deals

Post by WGP Klaus » Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:58 am

I've actually scored a couple of real good deals in regards to display/curio cabinets.

First, if you happen to have a Value City Furniture in your AO, check 'em out, as they've got good prices on NEW cabinets and have a section where they sell floor models/returns and such. I was turned on to this place from a fellow Armour Diecast collector and I managed to score several nice cabinets most under $70.00 (for lit no less), however some did need glass shelves replaced, but getting cut glass is relatively cheap.

Also check your local paper for display cabinets (classified: stores closing, selling displays etc). I found a Hallmark store closing a couple of years ago and purchased 8 display cases from the company handling the selling of the displays/fixtures, it was such a good deal I rented a seperate storage space for them. I actually sold 5 off (made enough to pay for the remaining 3) and used the remaining to display built up models.

Your best bet would be discount furniture stores selling display pieces(floor samples) or returned/slightly damaged merch.

Ikea also does have some very nice cabinets, I purchased two specifically for 1:18 diecast cars, but for the life of me I can't recall the name of the pieces, but do recall their price being in the $100-150 range.

HTH