New Dragon Products

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
lightning2000
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

New Dragon Products

Post by lightning2000 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:01 pm

Hi All,
Dragon has posted pix of their booth at the recently held Toy Fair in Nuremberg, Germany. Looks like a 1:72 scale Stuka is in the works. I cant make out any new 1:72 or 1:35 scale armor in their booth besides the 1:72 scale German halftracks (shot taken isnt too tight). See for yourself at the following link:

http://www.dragonmodelsltd.com/2006_Ger ... 202006.htm

Lightning2000
www.themotorpool.bigstep.com
Last edited by lightning2000 on Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Create Your Own Battlefield in Miniature or Build Your Own Private War Museum...The Choice is Yours at The Motor Pool!

Mr. Football
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Mr. Football » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:55 pm

That appears to be a Rudel Stuka, with the Anti-tank Cannon!

Also looks like a two-seater Me-262 and a Wildcat.
"I like a man who grins when he fights" - Winston Churchill

lightning2000
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Objects in Mirror...

Post by lightning2000 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:04 pm

Hi,
Yes it does appear to be the Kanonenvogel, Rudel's most famous dive-bomber, armed with 37mm cannons slung underneath the wings. Be nice if it comes with a scale figure, but I doubt it seeing as how none of the other planes come with pilot figures.

The Me-262B is, in some ways, a more pure aerodynamic looking version of the Sturmvogel concept. Should be a winner, especially if it comes with nose mounted radar so it can fill the role of the Nachtjager. The other sculpt appears to be the recently announnced FM-2 Wildcat. If a prototype was unavailable for the Show, and the factories are closed for Chinese New Year, then I'm inclined to believe that its still a few months off...

Lightning2000
Last edited by lightning2000 on Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Create Your Own Battlefield in Miniature or Build Your Own Private War Museum...The Choice is Yours at The Motor Pool!

Juneau@1
Sergeant
Sergeant

Dragon Armor

Post by Juneau@1 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:33 pm

Can anyone tell anything from the picture? The Dragon Armor photo shows nothing.
Eric

lightning2000
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Photo

Post by lightning2000 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:53 pm

Hi Eric,
On the shelf above the 1:35 Tiger, there are two German Sd. Kfz. 251 halftracks on the right side next to some T-34s. On the left hand side, I can make out a StuG with full side armor skirts next to some more T-34s and what looks like a German SP gun. Keep in mind too that just because there isnt much being shown, that there isnt more listed on their sell sheets. I also saw some new Dragon Armor catalogs on the bottom shelf, which leads me to believe theres alot more to come...

Now, if you can make out the catalog in front of the 1:35 Tiger, then you'll unlock the secret of what else is coming out in their 1:35 line...

Lightning2000

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:08 pm

Just what we need - another 1:72 Stuka... At least its a later version, whereas the majority produced (by Corgi & FOV) have been JU-87Bs. The Dragon plane should have some very nice details, however!

Waltz41
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Waltz41 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:27 pm

Look again, that's not a wildcat. it's a hellcat....the noticably missing front landing gear, cowling front, and slight angled up wings give it away. i'm pretty sure about it. and...i'm quite happy as well!!

easy8
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by easy8 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:56 am

Waltz41 wrote:Look again, that's not a wildcat. it's a hellcat....the noticably missing front landing gear, cowling front, and slight angled up wings give it away. i'm pretty sure about it. and...i'm quite happy as well!!
Yep, definitley a Hellcat...too cool! :D

easy8
"Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men."

--General George Patton Jr.

lightning2000
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Big Cats

Post by lightning2000 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:10 am

Hi,
Maybe you're right but I still cant tell the difference between the two birds based on this early sculpt. What are the tell-tale differences between the two?

Lightning2000

Waltz41
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Waltz41 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:34 pm

The biggest give away I saw was the lack of the main landing gear in the foward part of the fuselage. In the Wildcat, the wheels are visible. The gear on the Hellcat actually retract into the wings.

http://www.ww2guide.com/wildcats.jpg

hope that helps somewhat!!

brian

lightning2000
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Cats

Post by lightning2000 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:21 pm

Hi,
You could be correct. I did one to point out a couple of things though. These are sculpts, not prototypes, which means little details like retracting wheels may not have been addressed as yet. Before you pooh pooh this notion, take a look at the Me-262B. Notice that there is no external fuel tank slung underneath the fuselage, which became mandatory once the internal tank behind the pilot was removed to accomodate the rear seater. It also strikes me as strange that the Wildcat has already been announced on their website but no prototypes are being shown in the display booth, unless this shot doesnt show everything in the booth.

Anyway, a Hellcat would be a natural progression from the Wildcat, no doubt about it, and you could be absolutely correct in your assertion...

We'll examine the booth up close this weekend when the Show opens in NYC...

Cordially,

Lightning2000

Tshintl
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Re: Cats

Post by Tshintl » Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:43 pm

lightning2000 wrote:
We'll examine the booth up close this weekend when the Show opens in NYC...
Pictures please, in depth pictures and not ones from a distance that keep us all guessing like the Nurenberg pictures 8) I always look to these shows at the beginning of the year to see what is coming out and for some reason no one that ever attends takes good pictures to show us.

lightning2000
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Pixie Dust

Post by lightning2000 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:10 pm

Hi,
I'm no photographer by any stretch of the imagination but I'll do what I can to get shots of the new stuff. No sense showing you guys photos of products you've already seen elsewhere. Worse comes to worse, we'll scan some of the new catalogs if the new items arent on display or someone has an issue with photos of their booth, which we've never run into in the past.

Lightning2000

Tshintl
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Re: Pixie Dust

Post by Tshintl » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:10 pm

lightning2000 wrote:Worse comes to worse, we'll scan some of the new catalogs
Works for me until the new catalogs are available to everyone. Always like to get a feel (from pictures, not a list) of what's to come in the near future to get me all excited.

flpickupman
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by flpickupman » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:49 am

The Hellcat and Wildcat were actually two completely different airframes. The Hellcat was designed from scratch. As for myself, I've found the easiest way to diferentiate between the two is that the Wildcat had mid-body mounted wings, while the Hellcat's wings were located closer to the botttom of the fuselage. The sculpt depicted in the case is a Hellcat.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it.
-W.C. Fields

lightning2000
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Cats

Post by lightning2000 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:12 am

Hi,
In that case I stand corrected. For me, its alot easier to discern tanks from one another than warbirds, especially when you get older and shorter of sight.

Lightning2000

flpickupman
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by flpickupman » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:23 am

Ah. I can relate. The finer details between different variants of the same model armored vehicle often escape me. I can go so far as to call a Panzer IV a Panzer IV. As to the Ausf designation? Heck if I know! :lol:
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it.
-W.C. Fields

lightning2000
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Cats

Post by lightning2000 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:56 am

Hi,
Okay, since this is a Hellcat, the million dollar question that pops to mind is, "Will it have folding wings like the Goodyear Corsair?" :D

Lightning2000

flpickupman
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by flpickupman » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:31 pm

Properly folding wings on a 1/72 Hellcat? Now that would be an accomplishment.
-W.C. Fields

lightning2000
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Cats

Post by lightning2000 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:33 pm

I can see them coming out with a standard Hellcat first followed by one with following wings, perhaps for a few more dollars. I think the folding wing process for the Hellcat would be trickier than the one developed for the Corsair.

With so much competition in the 1:72 scale market, I think this would likely be a natural progression to differentiate their product from the others.

Lightning2000

lightning2000
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Pix

Post by lightning2000 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:28 pm

Hi Tshintl,
Well, we finally got to attend Toy Fair. In regard to the Dragon booth, it didnt appear as if much new stuff was being shown publicly so there was no point in taking photos of stuff already viewable in other previously posted images. That said, there does appear to be some new stuff in their catalogues, which we'll start scanning tomorrow.

Nothing new was announced in the 1:35 scale line so it may be a little while before you see the next 1:35 scale release, be it a new Tiger or something else. Dragon seems to like announcing new stuff over the course of the year rather than show everything all at once at Toy Fair so its indeed possible they could be unveiling new stuff once the dust settles.

Lightning2000

Tshintl
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Tshintl » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:12 pm

Thanks for the update. I remember when Dragon used to release pictures of all their future Dragon Armor tanks towards the end of the previous year. Now that others are entering the 1/72 diecast scene, seems they aren't doing that anymore.

Good that we are seeing more ranges come available but bad that Dragon and others are so hush hush about future releases to keep their competition in the dark (with the public in the dark too).

Looking forward to those scans.

lightning2000
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Pix

Post by lightning2000 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:18 pm

True enough. BTW, remember the idea I floated awhile back about offering a newly built vehicle on a factory production floor? Well guess what's coming out?! (Muahahaha!!!). Ouch, I think I pulled a rib.

Lightning2000

Tshintl
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Re: Pix

Post by Tshintl » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:10 pm

lightning2000 wrote:True enough. BTW, remember the idea I floated awhile back about offering a newly built vehicle on a factory production floor? Well guess what's coming out?! (Muahahaha!!!). Ouch, I think I pulled a rib.

Lightning2000
:shock: More info please..... :D

Mr. Football
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Mr. Football » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:40 pm

Hey Lightning,

See if you can use some of that sway to get Cyber-Hobby to come out with a Barkmann Panther Limited Edition... :D
"I like a man who grins when he fights" - Winston Churchill