Metal Content!

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
Philip
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Metal Content!

Post by Philip » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:43 pm

I hate to beat a dead horse, but. . . I rarely ever take my 1/72 tanks out of the display case/box, but decided to look a little closer at my T-34 Dragon tanks, which I love. I was shocked to find that, according to my calculations, a rice cake weighs more than the T-34s! I don't think it has any metal content whatsoever! Is that where we are now with Dragon? They make such a nice product, but the metal has gone to zero on some of these. I love most of the Dragon product line, but, am turning my interest toward Admiral Toys, and their upcoming releases. Anyway, I know the horse is dead, but, just a little disappointed in the ever changing meaning of "diecast."

P.S. The rice cake comment is facetious.
Last edited by Philip on Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ltcbj
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by ltcbj » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:53 pm

A RICE CAKE? Really?
"The only constant is change. Often short change. Learn to accept.": Noah Vaile www.dinosaur-toys-collectors-guide.com
[img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c315/photbug/image6.jpg[/img]
On your mark! Get set! Lunch....
Want your own website? PM me!

lightning2000
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Rice Cakes?!

Post by lightning2000 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:01 pm

Gives new meaning to the term 'thin-skin', aye?

Lightning2000
Create Your Own Battlefield in Miniature or Build Your Own Private War Museum...The Choice is Yours at The Motor Pool!

Philip
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Philip » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:42 pm

Lightning 2000,

Does Dragon say anything to you as a vendor about their lack of metal content? Do they announce to you that they are now doing plastic?

lightning2000
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Armor Line

Post by lightning2000 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:25 pm

Hello Phillip,
No they dont. While I admit its a sore point for some, its something that, for me at least, takes a back seat to overall aesthetic look. Obviously, I'd love to see an all-metal vehicle but the fact remains how many times does the average person pick up the vehicle to gauge its heft? Most people ogle the item, are generally pleased with its looks, pick it up once or twice for whatever reason, then pack it away for safe keeping or put it on display waiting for the next vehicle to arrive.

I have a whole cabinet full of old Solido and Verem vehicles on display and never once open the doors to pick up a single item. Nevertheless, I'm just as pleased with them as I am with the Dragon line. My only complaint thus far is that they need to come out with more new products instead of repaints. I'd also like to see an accompanying range of figures, and know they'd clean up cause no one thus far is doing them.

Finally, I think they need to get back to basics regarding the line to see what made it great in the first place. If I were in marketing, I'd seriously consider making public the production run for each vehicle. I'd go back to a non-descript vehicle for the basic range and a more noteworthy vehicle for the CH range, perhaps accompanied by some literature about the commander, unit, or particular tank.

Here's a suggestion I'd throw out free-of-chage -- how about a group of figures, including Hitler, Guderian, and Speer, reviewing a prototype vehicle as if they were considering it for mass production? Or a factory floor where a turret was being lowered onto a chassis while a mechanic was standing in the middle of the turret ring? How about a field workshop, with a crewman working on repairing the tracks?

Food for thought...?

Lightning2000
www.themotorpool.bigstep.com
Create Your Own Battlefield in Miniature or Build Your Own Private War Museum...The Choice is Yours at The Motor Pool!

Tshintl
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Tshintl » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:31 pm

Out of curiosity, what's the big deal with little or no diecast? Is it because they advertise them as diecast and either have little or no diecast, or is it because diecast is such a special thing to collect?

I collect or wargame with them because I think they have the best detail and quality bar none in 1:72 scale armor. Diecast, plastic, metal, whatever, it's the quality I'm after. I see the point that they advertise them as diecast and in fact many have less than that, but is there more to it or is it just because they aren't as they advertise?

Philip
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Philip » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:27 pm

I really like the Dragon line, and will still purchase their models. The term "diecast" has become synonymous with "metal." Like Lightning 2000, I display mine and very rarely take them out. The Dragon T-34 is one of my favorite, I was just a little surprised how light it was when I took it out of the display case. Dragon's 1st Tiger "felt" good, and I think there is something about a small amount of "heft, " but not enough to make me stop purchasing the Dragon tanks, They certainly need to get a little more creative, and stop all the repaints. It will be interesting to compare the soon to be released PZIII from Admiral Toys with the Dragon line.

Mr. Football
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Mr. Football » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:09 am

Looking forward to the Admiral.
"I like a man who grins when he fights" - Winston Churchill