Weathering FOV 1:32 Armored Vehicles

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Weathering FOV 1:32 Armored Vehicles

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:40 pm

This is basically a repost of a similar topic in the Customs & Mods forum stemming from the desire to make some of my unweathered FOV vehicles look more like the older, heavily weathered FOV Enthusiast vehicles from a decade ago. It was a fairly simple process: lightly spray the underside and sides with a light brown color, then dab on a darker brown in varying intensity to simulate mud and splatter using a stiff brush. Below are some pictures of my first three vehicles, including some "before" shots of the item in stock condition. The weathering results came out pretty decent in my book... Let me know what you think :D

Panzer IVG Tank:

Sherman Firefly Tank:
(Those are the rare 21c British Paratrooper figures with the Sherman 8) )

M5 Stuart Tank:

The Enthusiast version of the Stuart is pictured as I couldn't find a suitable picture of the Action Grade version that was available at mass retail.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Re: Weathering FOV 1:32 Armored Vehicles

Post by Epap » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:35 am

Excellent work. Very realistic.

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by krieglok » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:16 am

Nice work. I love the mini dioramas too. Cool idea. Your vehicles look great and it really adds the finishing touch the factory paint jobs need.

I am sort of a fan of dry brushing my vehicles with a slightly lighter tone of the base color(olive drab or panzer yellow...what ever the case) to bring out the details before adding the weathering effects. Doing a dark wash before the highlighting adds contrast and depth too...

This is a small Flames Of War 88 I put together. I used my weathering technique on the gun and the men. The photo isn't great....

grockwood
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by grockwood » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:50 am

It is definitely an improvement. My Dad always built his model tanks to look like they were in a parade or museum. I wanted mine to look like they had been in combat.

cnq
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by cnq » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:30 pm

tmanthegreat,

Good job on weathering those tanks. They look so much better than the originals.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:09 pm

Thanks everyone! The weathering is a process I've improved over the years - and continue to improve upon. I guess it was a cost-saving measure for Unimax to stop weathering the Enthusiast grade vehicles, which was really disappointing. My work helped rectify that on a few of my tanks. More to come eventually!
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."