Discovery Channel 1/72 Lunar Landing

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Discovery Channel 1/72 Lunar Landing

Post by aferguson » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:37 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Discovery-Chann ... 157wt_1153

Anyone seen one of these in the flesh? All i can find are shadowy boxed pictures and no reviews. Wondering if it might make an alternative to the pricely Dragon set. I doubt it but worth checking into.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Coreyeagle48
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: Discovery Channel 1/72 Lunar Landing

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:50 pm

Hi Andy:

I think this is a reboxed version of a set that is made under the RealToy name. They have made a variety of space shuttle and rocket sets. I've seen them for sale in the National Air and Space Museum when I visit there. There is a shuttle launch set, a space exploration set, etc.

The lunar buggy looks like it is the same buggy from some of the RealToy sets. These sets are nice but are geared toward children.

Hope this helps

Corey
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

tmanthegreat

Re: Discovery Channel 1/72 Lunar Landing

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:36 am

If you want a good 1:72 scale lunar landing diorama, get the Dragon examples. They have a variety of them from Apollo 11 to the later missions. They are somewhat pricey, but look good.

Still, if you're looking for a cool Lunar Landing setup, there is the IPI toys "Explorations In Time: Apollo 11 Lunar Landing" 1:48 scale set which was made about 17 years ago in 1999. Its pretty awesome, if you can find it. I got mine from the Smithsonian Catalogue for $25 back then. IPI toys was a Colorado-based company that I don't think exists anymore and was probably better known for some licensed Star Trek items they made in the mid 90s.

As you can see from the pictures, the Apollo 11 set is very realistic. Its comes with a lot of accessories including the 3 figures, scientific equipment, and flag. Further, all the module parts separate like they did in actuality. Pressing a button on the underside of the LM plays a recording of Neil Armstrong's famous words when he set foot on the moon. Not pictured is a plastic mat that had a lunar landscape detailed. Some colors are off and there are some wonky features like the way the Apollo Capsule and Lunar Module open to insert the crew figures, and figures themselves aren't perfect, but still its a functioning 1:48 scale Apollo Spacecraft and Lunar Module.

I've had this on display in my house pretty much since I got it 8)

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."