HELP-BROKE LANDING GEAR

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
mikeg
Officer - Brigadier General

HELP-BROKE LANDING GEAR

Post by mikeg » Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:15 pm

my p-47 angie gear snapped at its base- any recommendations as to a good glue-epoxy or getting another one? Any replies would be appreciated..

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:20 pm

If you have a glue gun, they seem to work very well. I use it for all repairs to broken plastic pieces.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:23 pm

next best choice would be a gel type krazy glue....Loktite works very well for me but you have to hold it for a while well it sets up a bit and then leave it untouched for 24 hours. Dries like steel.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:46 pm

I used Krazy Glue to fix a broken landing gear on my 32x FW-190. It worked quickly and has held well. Use sparing amounts when gluing, and once the piece is attached move the landing gear to avoid getting it stuck in an undesired position.

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:22 pm

In addition to the glue, I recommend you install a small metal pin, like a cut down nail. That does a great job in securing the strut.......

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:02 am

thanks for the suggestions everyone, I dissassembled the wing, krazy glued it back, and realized I can just loosen the "pressure brace" on top if I want to raise the strut without it snapping again. I like the idea of inserting a pin, but I'll see how this works.

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by krieglok » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:37 am

Teamski has the right idea. Go to the hobby shop and buy a pin vice and a set of small drills. The pinvice is the thing that holds the drill(a hand drill) instead of using a dremel tool which is too fast. Drill a hole on each side of the break and use a pin or brad as a "inside splint". Glue both ends and slide the pieces together. I have used this method to repair broken joints on the 1:18 scale figures. I usually use KD HO model train coupler mounting screws with the heads nipped off to do this. You may find simply glueing the pieces back together will not stand up to repeated use. If you need a illustration of the method, I can post some photos for you. The drills are also handy for drilling out gun barrels on various models. It is an easy way to improve the look of the weapons. Good luck and have a nice Christmas.

TJ
Last edited by krieglok on Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wieslaw
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Wieslaw » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:29 pm

krieglok wrote:Teamski has the right idea. Go to the hobby shop and buy a pin vice and a set of small drills. The pinvice is the thing that holds the drill(a hand drill) instead of using a dremel tool which too fast. Drill a hole on each side of the break and use a pin or brad as a "inside splint". Glue both ends and slide the pieces together. I have used this method to repair broken joints on the 1:18 scale figures. I usually use KD HO model train coupler mounting screws with the heads nipped off to do this. You may find simply glueing the pieces back together will not stand up to repeated use. If you need a illustration of the method, I can post some photos for you. The drills are aslo handy for drilling out gun barrels on various models. It is an easy way to improve the look of the weapons.
This method is known in Rzeszow, Poland, too! The only difference is that we (I :wink: ) use fragments of the straight paper clips. It's really effective!

Merry Christmas to you all!

PS. The post titled "What my children found under the Christmas tree" soon. It will be nothing new for you, but for us...
For our freedom and yours

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by krieglok » Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:34 am

Hi Mike. Just incase the PM doesnt make it to you, here is the link showing the repair. Sorry about the poor quality of the shots, but you should get an idea of what I mean. I did it with figures, but the strut repair is the same idea. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

TJ

http://www.members.aol.com/drkrieglok/rep.jpg

The first shot shows the damage and tools needed

The second shot shows the holes drilled and the pin inserted into the boot

The third shot shows the whole thing being pushed together after someglue was applied to the stud. This trooper was able to keep the flexibility of his foot since I was able to drill into the ball that broke off in the socket. A couple times, I have had trunks and legs break off and I was able to restore them using a round head wood or machine screw with the head of the screw (acting as)replacing the ball of the broken stud.

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:37 am

Nice pictures krieglok. I wish we had a spot to keep stuff like that to keep on file.

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by krieglok » Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:30 am

It is part ofthe "love/hate" relationship with AOL. With six screen names, you end up with alot of storage space on the AOL web. Thanks for the compliments. Just my pleasure to help out.

TJ

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:07 am

Here's another way to drill small holes.

Get a nail, pin, needle, it depends on the diameter of the hole that you want.

Hold the the pin over an open fire with a small pliers, until it's red-hot. Then just poke it through whatever you wish to drill on.

I use this to make muzzle holes for XD machine guns.

eddie372
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Glue Suggestion

Post by eddie372 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:50 pm

So far, the best, fastest and most reliable glue I've experimented with is the cement used for PVC pipe and sprinkler work, sold at Home Depot.

It dries very fast and forms an extremely potent bond between the glued surfaces. Apply it with a small artist's brush, rather than the cotton ball that comes with it. Be careful with the fumes and remember that it's extremely flammable.
The man that loves his job never works a day in his life.